Teleconference Interview Dress Code...

Tie and underwear? :cool:

I think I know the answer, but I was just curious. I will be having an interview from the comfort of my home and it seems weird to get all dressed up for a webcam interview in your own home. I mean, it would seem appropriate to wear a tie and some business casual pants (no jacket). A suit just seems... I don't know... weird. I should be clear that I have no problem wearing suits and own a few.

What do you think? It's for a senior researchy type position at a nonprofit social services agency.

I have done quite a few such interviews. With me being the interviewer.

I had a guy with a great shirt , jacket over the chair , no tie , sitting at his desk.

He looked good. Half way through he got up to grab a paper and forgot he was wearing old ratty sweatpants cut off at the knees.

Yes, wearing a suit would be too much. Its like pretending. If you're at home , look like you just walked in the door from working at their company, with your jacket off like everyone does. You might consider using a compact powder to cut down sheen on your skin. Or just blot well with a tissue. It makes a difference only because some shine looks like your sweating.

• Like 2

Saw it was a non prof. I'm doing some work for them now. They tend to take themselves a little seriously because many others don't. Wear the tie, depending on their work environment, but not tight, you just got home. If they aren't wearing ties, loosen it more

• Author

Will you just come over during my interview, standing off screen with cue cards and waving hand signals? Heck, just do it for me!? You have all the scoops.

Yes, of course. I may have given you more than you need, I interview people that have to come across well on tv. Not actors.