I want to get fired!!

goneundone

So.. I'm a licensed professional. However I work for a company basically devalues my license. They bill me out at $150 an hour and I only make almost $30 an hour. Since I'm licensed I can start my own business.. however, I don't have the time because of my current job. I can also start a property investing business.. however, I don't have the time because of my current job. I am overworked, underpaid, and overstressed. I dislike the structure of my company. There is a lot of liability in what I do.. but I'm not compensated. I have worked here for almost 7 years and had to fight for 4 years to get my first raise... before I was licensed. Now they tell me that I have to do more and basically also do marketing and bring in work if I want a raise. However, how do I have time to do marketing and bring in work if I am constantly working on all my projects? Isn't it enough that I am successfully completing my projects and making the clients happy so they come back for more? Apparently it's not.

I've lost all motivation to work for this company and I want to get fired so I can claim unemployment while I put my own business venture together.

What's your advice? I already take 2 - 3 hour lunches and show up whenever I want. The environment is mostly that I can come and go as I please as long as I am "billable" enough..

How can I get them to fire me or lay me off??

• Author
goneundone

darkmoon.. i do that sometimes too. I kinda work in construction and have to wear jeans, steel toes, and sweat alot in the summer. Maybe if i tell them I was on loveshack.org for 4 hours during my lunch break??... hmm.

• Author
goneundone

You are right! Maybe I should be working on my business plan instead of having beers at the local bar and surfing loveshack.org. Hmm.. I wish I could get motivated. I need to have a garage sell this weekend but i am only one person, and there is a lot of heavy furniture to move. Am I making excuses?

stillafool

I didn't think you could collect unemployment money if you were fired. I thought you had to be laided off. I could be wrong but you had better check on this before you get yourself fired.

• Like 2

Seems to me that maybe a better idea is instead of trying to get fired (which can disqualify you for unemplyment if it is for a valid reason), you should sit down and really plan how you can use this extra time that you spend away from work to start making a business plan.

You say you can come and go as you please, well, if you blow two hours a day, that's fun. But if you productively "reallocate" 2 hours per day, that gives you 10 hours per week that you can spend writing a business plan and putting in the mental capital. Add to that the time you have at night and you have what you need.

Starting a business is not a safe venture, and can only be done with risk inherently involved. What about starting with a client here and there on the side until you get the ball rolling, then you can break out on your own?

• Like 2

I've never been on unemployment and now basically hire myself out for projects.

But I used to work for others and if I didn't like a job , I found another job or planned my next project while I was chained to their desk. I'm a very fast paced person so the normal 9 to 5 would leave hours to work on something else if I really wanted to.

Uhh, if you get fired and they have documentation, you're screwed. That's not what unemployment is for.

Be a grownup and prepare your next path. Much more respectable than taking 2-3 hour lunches.

• Like 2
Be a grownup and prepare your next path. Much more respectable than taking 2-3 hour lunches.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I'm sorry to say it, but you kind of sound like a rebellious teenager without a clear concept of how the real world works.

Do you think the $120 that they don't pay you goes straight into their pockets? It doesn't. They have to pay insurance, taxes, payroll, advertising, rent, utilities, equipment, supplies, etc. with that money. If you go out on your own, you'll be responsible for many of those expenses, and a lot of your time will be spent dealing with those things.

Don't get fired. You might need that professional reference someday. And your reputation matters. I don't know how close-knit of a profession you're in, but there's always a possibility that you'll come into contact with the people you're currently burning.

Word can travel fast, especially when you're being a terrible employee and purposely trying to get fired so that they have to foot the bill* for you to start your own business, AKA their competition. I mean, when it's written out that way, don't you realize that you're being really unethical? Unemployment doesn't exist so that people can be compensated for doing a bad job.

Keep the job and save up your money. Instead of browsing LS for hours a day and being stinky, be a good employee, make money, and, in your personal time, research what starting your own business would entail. Make a plan, make some goals. Once you reach those goals, give your two weeks' notice like a professional.

*As I understand it, in my state at least, when an employee files for unemployment, the employer's unemployment insurance goes up so much that they're effectively still paying around half of your current paycheck.

• Like 3
Maleficent
So.. I'm a licensed professional. However I work for a company basically devalues my license. They bill me out at $150 an hour and I only make almost $30 an hour. Since I'm licensed I can start my own business.. however, I don't have the time because of my current job. I can also start a property investing business.. however, I don't have the time because of my current job. I am overworked, underpaid, and overstressed. I dislike the structure of my company. There is a lot of liability in what I do.. but I'm not compensated. I have worked here for almost 7 years and had to fight for 4 years to get my first raise... before I was licensed. Now they tell me that I have to do more and basically also do marketing and bring in work if I want a raise. However, how do I have time to do marketing and bring in work if I am constantly working on all my projects? Isn't it enough that I am successfully completing my projects and making the clients happy so they come back for more? Apparently it's not.

I've lost all motivation to work for this company and I want to get fired so I can claim unemployment while I put my own business venture together.

What's your advice? I already take 2 - 3 hour lunches and show up whenever I want. The environment is mostly that I can come and go as I please as long as I am "billable" enough..

Can't you just quit?

• Author
goneundone

What will happen is I will sell my house, pay off all my debt, save the rest, crash on my sisters couch for a month or two to bank up cash while writing my business plan, and then I will put in my one month's notice gracefully.. take the plunge, relocate and begin a new life adventure. That's what will happen. Actually.. I'm going to win Powerball on saturday so I'm going to travel the world, buy a few properties and volunteer my engineering expertise to help needy communities build infrastructure.

• Like 1
  • Author
goneundone
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I'm sorry to say it, but you kind of sound like a rebellious teenager without a clear concept of how the real world works.

Do you think the $120 that they don't pay you goes straight into their pockets? It doesn't. They have to pay insurance, taxes, payroll, advertising, rent, utilities, equipment, supplies, etc. with that money. If you go out on your own, you'll be responsible for many of those expenses, and a lot of your time will be spent dealing with those things.

Don't get fired. You might need that professional reference someday. And your reputation matters. I don't know how close-knit of a profession you're in, but there's always a possibility that you'll come into contact with the people you're currently burning.

Word can travel fast, especially when you're being a terrible employee and purposely trying to get fired so that they have to foot the bill* for you to start your own business, AKA their competition. I mean, when it's written out that way, don't you realize that you're being really unethical? Unemployment doesn't exist so that people can be compensated for doing a bad job.

Keep the job and save up your money. Instead of browsing LS for hours a day and being stinky, be a good employee, make money, and, in your personal time, research what starting your own business would entail. Make a plan, make some goals. Once you reach those goals, give your two weeks' notice like a professional.

*As I understand it, in my state at least, when an employee files for unemployment, the employer's unemployment insurance goes up so much that they're effectively still paying around half of your current paycheck.

I appreciate your response, but I would disagree with you, I know how the real world works.. and I understand what overhead costs and operating costs are.. however I am still underpaid. And yes, the industry here is very close knit, word does travel fast.. and even though I'm moving from here, I want to stay professional.

I guess instead of saying how can i get fired? I should ask, how can I laid off? I've given more to them then they deserve from me and I would not feel bad for them paying unemployment while I started my own business. Obviously, if it can't work out in my favor, professional reputation included, then I will do the normal hum-drum thing and give a notice that I am leaving.

Art_Critic

FYI, you cannot claim unemployment in most states if you get fired, the reason is that getting fired is your fault and not the company's fault.. you would have to be laid off.

Certainly if your firing sin't warranted then you might draw it.. but in reality you need to just buck up..

30 bucks an hr is pretty good..

Put out your own shingle the chances are you could make less than that for quite some time.

Wanna get fired ?.. do they monitor your internet usage ?.. let them see this thread :)

Art_Critic
I appreciate your response, but I would disagree with you, I know how the real world works.. and I understand what overhead costs and operating costs are.. however I am still underpaid. And yes, the industry here is very close knit, word does travel fast.. and even though I'm moving from here, I want to stay professional.

I guess instead of saying how can i get fired? I should ask, how can I laid off? I've given more to them then they deserve from me and I would not feel bad for them paying unemployment while I started my own business. Obviously, if it can't work out in my favor, professional reputation included, then I will do the normal hum-drum thing and give a notice that I am leaving.

Have you read the posts you write.. try it and read them as a third party..

The world doesn't work the way you think it does.. that 120.00 per hr they charge about what you are paid doesn't go to the bottom line in full..

• Author
goneundone
Have you read the posts you write.. try it and read them as a third party..

The world doesn't work the way you think it does.. that 120.00 per hr they charge about what you are paid doesn't go to the bottom line in full..

I get it. I know exactly where it goes and I'm still underpaid.

Art_Critic
I'm still underpaid.

Get in line... I own my own company and have for over 30 years and I'm the most underpaid person here.. well one of..

Not sure what you do but if you go to Salary.com do you make less than your bracket.. 58k per year plus benefits isn't minimum wage for someone who has a degree and works for someone that bills out your time.

About the only thing I could suggest would be to ask for a raise.. presented the proper way most employers don't deny pay increases if you can show the company how much more money your pay increase will benefit the company.

• Author
goneundone

Thanks for the input art critic. The original post was intended to be light-hearted mixed with some humor, cynicism, and a little truth. I don't usually spend anytime on LS but I've had a rough week and it has helped a lot.

My company is notorious for not paying enough for the good employees.. Which most might argue after reading my posts that I'm not a good employee. But I am. So all ethics aside, the money they are pocketing, even though a big chunk of it is operating costs.. Most of it is to pay for overhead... Management's salaries.

Be it as it may, I should be chivalrous and not try to get laid off and just do it the right way.

Good luck in your business art critic. You need a raise!!

You are right! Maybe I should be working on my business plan instead of having beers at the local bar and surfing loveshack.org.

I did, and I'm just one person. Did the yard sale thing last summer. During my lunch hour, I've been whipping up my laptop and creating the business plan, mission statement, and everything else I'll need when I start my new job.

The idea is to not have very long to fall when you decide to jump ship. But in my case, it's hard to stop an idea whose time has come. :D

BTW lay off the beer, it's money down the hatch.

I didn't think you could collect unemployment money if you were fired. I thought you had to be laided off. I could be wrong but you had better check on this before you get yourself fired.

You can get unemployment if you're fired, but it depends on what you mean by fired. They can fight it if the employer establishes sufficient cause, as defined by law and/or common-sense business policies that are well-established. Progressive disciplinary action on the part of the employer's important in these situations, so as to establish cause. Many employers will still end up paying unemployment, though, fearing that fighting it might end up leading to a lawsuit. I actually wanted to deny an application when I was the director at a previous job, but my board urged me to just pony up so that he wouldn't sue.

The real problem I see for collecting unemployment in this situation is that if he collects unemployment, he has to be unemployed. I would not collect unemployment while building a business. It's illegal and states are cracking down on it. Very easy to find out these days, with IRS regs requiring businesses to obtain SS numbers from vendors.

• Like 2

You could just do things that are not clearly a violation of policy but would nevertheless make you a persona non grata. You could fart in front of your boss, maybe? You could come in without wearing deodorant and claim that it itches your skin to do so. Showing up late? Nah, every one knows that's a violation of policy. You might not even get unemployment. You could maybe just be a bad employee...but that might ruin your professional reputation, and bad news spreads fast.

• Like 1
  • Author
goneundone

Fugu.. Thanks for the informative reply.

As of now I am just applying I other jobs and focusing on selling my house. And working. Best regards.

pink_sugar

Very good points, Fugu. I was fired from a job once. (That I was not aware of). I had put in my two week resignation and they had terminated me before the end of two weeks notice. My boss casually told me I didn't have to attend a paid meeting that occurred a few days after my notice. They tried to fight unemployment of course, because I had willingly quit. When it went to appeals, it was found out they were liable for paying me for that last day of work and that they terminated me before the end of my notice for performance reasons. The termination as an act of retaliation as a result of my notice didn't fair well, especially since I was not informed of the termination

skydiveaddict

Get arrested for drunk driving.

Get arrested for drunk driving.

Hadn't thought about that one, but yes, moral turpitude outside of the job. DUI's expensive though. How about public intoxication instead?

whichwayisup

Start making mistakes. Be late, argue with others, even your boss. have a crappy attitude. Complain. Make more mistakes, call in sick at the last minute.

DO NOT do anything illegal like DUI as some are suggesting, that affects you personally and you'll have a record, as well as possible car taken away from you and a fine, points off your driver record.

You'll get a warning, then a written warning and then next step is, they guide you out the door.