Applying for a job even though you don't have the degree they require

Standard-Fare

A job posting caught my eye that seems like a great match for my work experience. However, it requires a masters degree, which I don't have. In my personal opinion, my actual work experience would be more valuable and helpful for this job than a degree of little merit that would have kept me isolated from hands-on experience -- but I know I'd be hard-pressed to get some people to agree with that.

It really sounds like my dream job, but should I even bother applying without the masters? And I did, how could I address the deficiency?

pink_sugar

Never hurts to apply. Worst that can happen is you don't get the job. I wouldn't address the lack of degree unless it's questioned or brought up in the interview where you will attempt to sell yourself and your skills.

Star Gazer

It never hurts to apply. However, there may be internal or bureaucratic reasons why they need someone with XYZ degrees/credentials/experience.

A job posting caught my eye that seems like a great match for my work experience. However, it requires a masters degree, which I don't have. In my personal opinion, my actual work experience would be more valuable and helpful for this job than a degree of little merit that would have kept me isolated from hands-on experience -- but I know I'd be hard-pressed to get some people to agree with that.

It really sounds like my dream job, but should I even bother applying without the masters? And I did, how could I address the deficiency?

I would apply anyway and maybe find a way to overcome the objection in a well-worded cover letter, and then maybe follow it up with an email.

There may be reasons they demand a degree, such as having some sort of theoretical base of knowledge beforehand. However, sometimes degree qualifications are put in an ad just to cut down the pool of potential applicants. If they say that a master's is required, then they may have no choice but to look past your qualifications for fear of being ensnared in a discrimination suit later on. If they say master's preferred, then go for it. Go for it regardless.

Lauriebell82

I would apply, you never know! I applied for a job once and didn't have a certification that they required in the add. I didn't get the job, but I did get an interview and I just explained what other experience I had that should be equivalent to the certification. The interviewer seemed okay with it. They ended up hiring someone with more experience, nothing related to the certification (or lack thereof).

It is also possible that they know a Master's degree isn't necessarily required to know how to do the job, but they're using it as a way to filter applicants. There are a ton of people searching for work so if they just said degree optional or Bachelor's only they'd have to wade through even more applicants, fewer job seekers will have Master's degrees.

If you really feel your experience trumps the need for a degree then apply anyway and sell your strengths. I would avoid implying that you don't think school is worth it and don't say you're not open to going in the future, just focus on how you ended up following a different path and how well it has helped you expand your knowledge base.

• Like 1

I wouldn't pin high hopes on it (given how prevalent masters are nowadays, chances are they will still have plenty of candidates), but I don't see how it hurts to give it a shot.