Freelance quoting problem.

So I wondered is anyone had any experience with quoting freelance work.

Recently I secured a job to work on a four panel brochure. I flat quoted 10 hours at $50 and hour.

Well this brochure involved working for the city and I was expecting it to be more of a corporate job. They had over the info, pictures, ideas etc.. i do the work send it back we go through about three revisions and I send it to print.

Well since it is a city thing there has been a ton of meetings, which I stopped going to most of them because there are about three committees working on this and the whole process has been completely backwards. They wanted me to do a mock brochure than give me the info.

S long story short I am at 15 hours and they just asked for extensive Photoshop work. I did indicate that Photoshop work was not included in my quote.

But here is my problem I am hoping to get more work form them if I do a good job. So since my quote was vague am toying with eating the 5 hours but I am not sure.

So far this job has entailed 5 meetings each 45 minutes away. 3 spec designs, 6 revisions, clip art design (which was quick), discussions with the printer. and to be frank I think 14 hours doesn't include travel time.

Oh and I haven't even presented it to the group yet!What should I do? Any advice we are talking tonight.

I have 'eaten' extra hours at various points as a consultant, but 5 hours over is a 50% increase work load and I think it's reasonable to specify at this point that such extended meeting activity was not part of your expectations, and since they also did not clarify this up front (is that right?) your quote only included 'actual' labour on developing the brochure.

• Author

I was assuming two meetings at 30 minutes each.

The problem is I think I should have been more specific in my quotes.

I was clear that the information would be provided to me. ie.. no copy writing, photography, Photoshop or logo design.

I have just started freelancing as a way to earn extra money.

• Author
the important thing is that the quotes must be understandable..... I myself started freelancing two years ago to income money and so on. I always try to give my quotes as easy as possible!

well my quote was 10 hours at $500 an hour. All materials to be provided. We are talking today since yesterday he was in meetings.

Let's not forget that some of the blame for this situation falls on the shoulders of your customer. Given that they have the background of how they operate, someone should have had the sense to suggest that maybe you were lowballing the number of hours you proposed.

That said, I would suggest speaking to whomever you arranged this "contract" with and suggest to them that (if they are that important to you) you will complete the "overage" hours at a discount rate... maybe $40 instead of $50, but that the photoshop work will need to be established as a new deal. My strong opinion, after having dealt with some independent evaluation and grant services for districts, is to be firm about your value and establish your professionalism. Don't let them think they can walk on you and by being firm in your approach, you come off not only as professional, but also as someone with value.

Remember, chances are they need you more than you need them. No one can argue with a fair deal. If you're worth it, they should pay for it. Bottom line.

• Like 1