wiseOLDman

My company went thru a major layoff today. Upwards of 30-40% of the division were shown the door. I survived but really feel no joy because a number of very good friends and co-workers were released. These are the type of people who, altogether, made me a better and more successful person in my job. How do people handle the survivor's guilt that I'm feeling? It's really put me in a funk.

Couple that with the resentment you'll probably feel when you take on some of the workload they shouldered and it really becomes an emotional rollercoaster (you feel guilty for surviving and guilty for being resentful because you feel you should be grateful you still have a job - talk about schizo!!)

I chalk most of it up to luck, there but for the grace of God go I. You'll grieve, you'll try your best to hook them up with anyone you know who can give them a job lead, you'll be supportive. You'll work harder at your own job and try to figure out what you'll do if you get caught next time. You keep your options open.

You move on and you'll regret that you're a little less innocent but hopefully you'll become a little more compassionate. You try to figure out ways to make your group the best and brightest so you can try to protect your coworkers.

Your work mates would not want you to feel guilty, you did nothing wrong. This was not your choice to make. Accept it as the fact of life it is, one over which you have no control. You will miss your friends and colleagues but try and make it guilt free.