Workplace gossip while in earshot

Lauriebell82

Anyone experience this? Such as people literally talking about others while they can clearly hear them?

• Author
Lauriebell82

It's funny, I have heard workplace gossip but never have seen anyone actually do it the minute they leave the room and can still here them! I'd like to think people are more professional then that. :(

Hahaha there's so much blatant sh*t talking that goes on in my office on a daily basis.

I can't even fathom how the principals don't know about it. My guess is that they do and just don't give a fack.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Hahaha there's so much blatant sh*t talking that goes on in my office on a daily basis.

I can't even fathom how the principals don't know about it. My guess is that they do and just don't give a fack.

I think they know about it and they don't like it, but don't do anything to stop it.

My coworkers were talking sh*it the other day and my boss came in and said "It's not nice to gossip." Nobody even paid attention to her, and went right back to gossiping about the person. She sat down and didn't say another word.

• Author
Lauriebell82

I do notice that I feel more alienated from my coworkers because I don't gossip. They probably gossip about me about the fact that I don't gossip!

• Like 2
truthbetold
I do notice that I feel more alienated from my coworkers because I don't gossip. They probably gossip about me about the fact that I don't gossip!

I experience this nearly daily. One of the big things the gossip about me is my shoes! I enjoy my shoes. I work in a business casual but we have dress down Fridays you would think anything goes right? Wrong!

In the summer I like to wear espadrilles which works even with the business casual and on dress down I like to wear toe ring sandals. The pair in question do not make a flip flop noise as they also have laces to go around the ankle. The ones I don't wear there are the ones that have embellished beaded straps but since are backless "could" be construed as a flip flop.

Anyway we were bought out by a new company, every day there is some new drama gossip about what they are going to do to take away some of our freedoms as they have a much stricter dress code. The main company is based across the country from us. My boss does not see need to change our dress code as he likes the jeans on Friday thing too!

So last week I wore my strapped on toe ring sandals and the head mean queen made a snide comment to which I ignored. She then said I must be brave and that I mustn't be able to read because it's in the policy. I told her I could read just fine and that "no jeans" is also in the new policy and everyone was still wearing those. (except her she thinks it's nuts for a woman over 35 to be in jeans mostly bc she herself feels self conscious in them :rolleyes:) She then shut up and about 15 minutes later was in her nice mood to me.

But before that another of her mean girl followers came over and they were whispering right behind me and then loudly one said "I know" and then "she better watch it, she's asking for trouble" crap like that, but I would be "sensitive" if I thought it was about me!:rolleyes:

One of the other ladies commented on my "higher heels" at times . I explained from the time I was a kid, I always loved heels. I learned how to maneuver in them quite well, even running in them back in the day if I was late to work:laugh: Anyway I can still wear them, and so I like them high, I don't pair them with anything short, overtly tight etc...so I don't see the issue. They have many times I think tried to see if I could fall off of them but causing me to trip, which to this day I have averted, I've got good dodge and weave!:laugh: Anyway, when I explained I always liked high heels, the mean queen said under her breath "clubbing shoes" to which I said, I never came to work looking like a hooker:p

So, yeah I feel your alienation thing.

• Author
Lauriebell82

Its funny my office is so mean that my boss even slips up and gossips about people, then catches herself and says "sorry didnt mean to throw that out there. Also it seems like the girls who gossip the most are the ones I never here gossiped about!

venusianx13

Yes, constantly!

I'm late seeing this thread, but I'm glad I'm not alone. I work in govt. and my office manager has, for the past five years I've been here, had a revolving door for gossip. I've moved to my own little office in the back, so I don't hear as much anymore, thank goodness. I actually once brought it to the big boss, because I saw it as being very wrong, possibly unlawful. Someone like her who holds a managerial position is, by default, privy to private things about employees' lives, and then goes and shares that info with others? However, bringing my concern to the big boss fell on deaf ears. :(

That said, though, a lot of people do it. And it stinks. I stay away from it. :mad: