I need to know if my coworker likes me or not!

Please help, I am desperate here...

I'm 33 years old, my coworker I like is only 26..

I started my new job three months ago. With the guy in qustion we work at the same department, but we don't work closely together.

I noticed him almost right away, and I think he noticed me too.

First we were just looking at each other for a couple of seconds, he would smile, I would smile that's all. After a while I caught him staring at me more than once, but when he saw that I noticed, he looked away immediately.. Now I know him enough to tell, that he is very shy..

Since I am the new one, the company gave me a trainning schedule - with him too.

During the training, he was really nice, we talked and he laughed or at least giggled on almost everything I said, and he also just looked very deep into my eyes, for long, loong seconds.

Now we talk almost every day, but nothing special. The other day however, I need his help in a matter and I had to ask him for help many times that day ( yes I needed HIS expertise specifically, I didn't asked him because I liked him, swear to God!)

Anyway I called his desk and I said ( I felt so uncomfortable) :

- I know you have had enough of me for today... (and he interrupted)

and said:

- That is not correct.

And I asked: No?

He said: No, not at all!

Then we laughed and he helped me, of course.

So please tell me is he or is he not into me??

january2011

He likes you, sure. Whether he's attracted to you and wants something to happen outside of the workplace, is a different matter.

I've found that it's very common for people to be nice, friendly and helpful towards a new person in a workplace. And you wouldn't be the first person to mistake that kindness and attention for romantic interest.

Even if he were interested, I strongly suggest that you don't go there. You're new. You don't have the lie of the land yet and already you want to start dating a co-worker? No, don't do it. You haven't established yourself enough to get away with something like this, even if it weren't against company policy, which it might be. And if it all turns sour, you're probably going to have to look for another job. Not great for your resume or your references.

browniecalgary

Hi Livy,

I was in a similar situation about 1 year back when I started a new job (only difference is I am the guy...lol!). Because it was a new job and I was at a higher position of authority, I just didn't take it any forward. Till date, we just enjoy each other's company, have gone for lunch only once (with her friend).

I guess you need to give it time as you are new at work. Attraction fades but doesn't go away. So, unless you are in a hurry and you really are looking for a relation, take it slow.

Good luck