My co-workers and I (all within the same department) were approach to help with a project. Two of us (myself and one other) jumped - the other two said 'sure' but really have done nothing to show any interest in the project.

We have been in multiple meeting talking about how we want to get 'more involved' in the project, but because two of us don't want to do anything my more assertive co-worker has become the go-to person and I'm very frustrated about it.

A few days ago I was complaining to someone outside of our department because we have a presentation to put together and my co-worker doesn't want to help at all, he thinks it is just open time for people to ask questions without any plan. If nothing else, I want to be prepared for ALL questions that might come up. I wanted to be more involved in the presentations - like actually showing my knowledge to gain some ground with this project - and I was put in a group that doesn't have much to do with it at all. I found out my boss did that - and that is another issue. However, once I left the conversation and my co-worker came in to carry on where I left off, it because very clear that they want no part of this project although whenever asked we set up meetings and say we want to get involved.

I do believe that actions speak louder than words and I do want to get involved in this project, but I feel like my coworkers drag me down because I am not supported by my other coworker and my less than enthusiastic ones don't want to do anything. So here I am, wanting to do something I am interested in, and held back by the people around me. Any suggestions?

january2011

Speak to the disinterested co-workers. Try to resolve it between yourselves. If you can't, tell them that you would like to take this up with your boss and suggest that they come with you to talk it through. If they decline, arrange a meeting with your boss and the go-to co-worker, lay out your concerns. Mention that you've tried to resolve this with your disinterested co-workers and also invited them to this, but they declined.

With your interested co-worker, come up with a plan regarding how to get this project moving forward, even if it's without the two co-workers who are disinterested. Ask your boss if the other two co-workers can be reassigned and perhaps two others brought into the project instead.

Document everything, confirm everything by email so that you have a paper trail. Until your boss removes them, continue to invite the disinterested co-workers to all the team meetings. If they decline, that's their lookout. Try not to reschedule. Move forward with the project and document the meeting in the minutes. Including the non-attendance of the two co-workers.

• 2 weeks later...