HokeyReligions

I know I am going to answer this myself, but I'd just like some of your opinions--maybe to give myself a boost in confidence in my choice.

I am working contract - the contract will end within the next few months.

I have to have a permanent job with benefits like paid holidays, vacation and HEALTH insurance!

I support my family (we can make our current bills, but as we head into summer we are going to fall behind on somethings like the electric bill & are trying to arrange a smaller payment plan. We can't afford all the drugs each of us needs and my husband and I are not getting the medical care we require, because I have no insurance and we can't afford everything)

One of my headhunters called and said they had a position that I would be ideally suited for and they submitted my resume. The company wants to interview me in person (I have an 8AM interview on Friday) as I am their top candidate.

I know a little about the company (its a decent company, 1800 employees worldwide, respected in the business community and as an employer).

The position sounds okay -- not the greatest, but it has some possibilities and I can make of it what I want. I would be reporting directly to a VP and supervising a small staff. Not much room to grow though.

The pay is slightly less than what I was making, but a heck of a lot more than I make now. I would have health benifits -- although I have to pay for part of them and that is about $350/month to cover myself and my family. I would have paid holidays and two weeks vacation (I really miss the 4 weeks I used to have, but to have any paid vacation is a big plus--I'm not complaining!)

The down side: The location is really difficult for me to get to - it will probably take me at least 1.5 hrs. each way, in HEAVY traffic. We have one vehicle and will need to get a second one within a year because our van won't hold up under those conditions. There is no direct bus to this location (I take a bus now) so I would HAVE to drive.

The dress code: (taken from their overview the company gave me) : [color=darkblue]Professional dress is expected Monday through Thursday. Appropriate business attire for women includes daytime suits, blouses and skirts, dresses, hosiery, and pumps. Men should wear business shirts and dress slacks, suits, ties, socks, and dress shoes.

Friday is reserved for professional casual. Appropriate Friday attire for women includes slacks, blouses, tailored skirts, pressed cotton pants, and closed-toe shoes. Men should wear tailored/pressed pants, golf shirts, and pressed cotton button-down shirts. No t-shirts are allowed. No tennis shoes are allowed. No denim is allowed. No sandals are allowed. [/color] I have two dress suits and everything else is a pantsuit or business casual. This REALLY is a big downer for me. I hate HATE [color=red]HATE[/color] wearing pantyhose- especially in Houston in the summer! I would have to put out some money for new clothes right away.

I already have the feeling that this would be a stepping-stone type of position and not one I can see myself retiring from. I may be totally wrong--I've only had a couple of telephone interviews with the VP and some feedback from the headhunter. It could be a great position. It's just, have you ever walked into a store or something and it just felt "wrong" somehow? That is kinda how I feel about this job. The location and the dress code are [color=blue]major [/color]things to me. But, this is the only bite I've had about a job and I don't want to take it (probation for 30 days before it's permanent) just so I have some benefits for my family and myself and end up hating the drive and the dress code.

A bird in the hand (my current contract job - guranteed employment for a few months. No possibility of permanent employment) Stay here and keep looking -- even in the TIGHT job market in Houston

Two in the bush (A job offer w/ guaranteed employment for 30 days with a possiblility of permanent employment) which I might not like and hate the drive & dresscode--which will probably stress me out after a while.

I know I can take the new job and keep looking, but its just not me to make a commitment and then bail. The stress of doing that would tear me up. Plus, if I do that then I will have that reputation and it breaks down my networking and my current contacts, which ultimatly will damage my future job search.

I think I'm going to go on the in-person interview and try to keep an open mind. I'll make the drive a couple of times to see how it feels, and I'll even do that in a suit. Then, if I really think that will have a strong negative effect, I'll politely decline the offer and thank them for their time and generosity.

What do you think? Am I doing the right thing? In a way I feel that by not taking it, no matter what, I am not being responsible for my family.

Any job is a good job. Maybe you can move closer?

As for the hose, just wear long skirts.

wiseOLDman

Hey Hokey. I know it's a difficult decision, but you DO need to have the open mind. The new job offers the security that you need and a better financial position. Dispite your reservations about taking the job and continuing to look for other positions, you need to understand that today's company is no longer the one that truly values it's employees. The loyalty factor used to go both ways, but in today's climate, employees are simply a commodity for large companies. I know that sounds cynical, but it's the simple truth.

Having a good position, with a reputable company is far more important to your resume than a series of contract positions. During your interview on Friday, see what flexibility this company has with respect to telecommuting. Don't imply that it's something that you require, but is it possible that the position would have the flexibility that you would work from a home office one or two days per week? Are there co-workers who are relatively close to you with whom you can carpool? Does the company offer a van pool?

As for new clothes, you need to view them as an investment in your future. As painful (I can't imagine) as panty hose may be, it's a minor concession for a good salary and benefits. Take your interview, be open-minded and put forth a quality that will endure you to the interviewers. If you knock them dead, small concessions, on their part, can often follow. Who knows, if you decide that you will take the position, that "No possibility of permanent employment" at your current position, may just become possible. Talk with them before you accept a new position, but be sure you're prepared to take the new one if the current employer will not or cannot make your current job permenant.

Good Luck!

put your reservations on the back burner until after the interview. I think once you meet them face to face and have a chance to talk, you'll have a better ideer if you want to make this kind of commitment.

1. pantyhose? pah! knee-highs with longer skirts or trousers, or if you must, thigh highs if you don't feel uncomfortable in them (of course, the up side to that is seeing your husband's eyes bug out when he watches you dress in them!)

2. consider asking for a clothing allowance. they might say yes, they might say no, but it won't hurt asking

3. if you do decide to take the job because of what it offers, don't feel you must absolutely positively stay there if something better comes up. Especially something closer to home.

good luck with the job interview, hokey. I hope you knock them dead, just 'cause you can! meanwhile, invest in a good rubber raft -- I saw the Dallas doppler radar at lunchtime, and it looks like y'all and San Antonio are in for a rocky ride. My dad said there were tornado warnings issued at lunchtime for his county and the adjoining one, just outside SA!

I'm with Quank - ditch the pantyhose, long skirts will do - wear knee hi's. A few skirts to coordinate with the suit jackets you already have should help round out your wardrobe for now - scarves and different jewelery help to make it seem like you have more outfits than you do. Consider consignment stores and there should be clearance sales soon to make way for summer clothes.

Supposedly the economy here in Texas is picking up but the folks I see moving around are mostly young ones. You'll know better after the interview if this would be a strategic move and you should take it.

Ride-sharing is a good idea which people will be more open to since gas prices continue to rise.

Good luck Hokey!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thank you all. I am trying to be open-minded.

Without going into great detail, it is impossible for me to wear knee-hi's (believe me, I've tried every type on the market, and thigh-hi's too) because of the rhumatoid arthritis in my knees, no socks or knee-his will stay up (even with men's garters!)

That is why this is such a big deal to me. My suits and skirts are all long--I wouldn't dream of wearing anything above mid-calf and most of mine are ankle length! I worse suits for years and now I cannot wear anything but flat heeled shoes eithers (again, because of arthritis) although I do have some nice, dressy, flat pumps.

I mean, if the job was fabulous I could rent a car (one of those lease options things) and buy suits, but I am miserable in panythose and it really doess have an effect on my being comfortable at work and on my productivity. I know that might sound shallow, but the fact is--- I have an allergy to most nylons and spandex and some silks. It doesn't bother me if its a blend and I'm not totally wrapped up in them, but put me in tights or spandex or pantyhose and I am miserable!

Any woman knows, if you are not comfortable in what you are wearing it effects everything you do! Most companies have allowed pant suits. I have some very nice, professional pantsuits. I have no problem with that at all and I look quite professional. Years ago I used to have to wear a dress/suit/skirt every day to work and that is when I found out I had allergies and was able to switch to pantsuites (some of mine are much more business professional than skirts and blouses)

I'll deal with the travel time and I'm looking forward to the interview. I'm HOPING that I can wear pantsuits. I'm just not all that excited about the job. I don't want to keep job-hopping. Having some definite contract positions on my resume is much better than hopping from one permanent job to another.

I'm working on definite engineering projects. Everyone I work with and for - including the Project Managers and VPs - are contract workers. When a new project comes up, the partners on that project work together assigning and hiring contractors for specific duties during the life of the contract. Once the job is done and the contract completed we all move on to other contracts or to permanent positions. There is no permanent place of employment for any of us. I've been recommended for other contracts and I probably won't have any problem finding a new contract to move to once this one ends, but it will be the same situation--no benefits.

Well, we will just have to see what happens. A job opened up at a company that is literally 2 minutes from my house and I would be perfect for it. I've talked to them -- I even did some graphic design work for them a year ago, but they don't pay anywhere near what I need to earn--like about $25k a year less then my minimum! I would soooooo love to work there!

Thank you all so much -- I'll keep everything you said in mind.

reasontosigh
Professional dress is expected Monday through Thursday. Appropriate business attire for women includes daytime suits, blouses and skirts, dresses, hosiery, and pumps..

I'm surprised this company can get away with that. Requiring only skirts and pumps on women is considered gender-based discrimination.

Many companies around here have had to change their dress codes to read dress shoes instead of pumps and to allow for suits that include pants.

I would be shocked if they didn't allow pantsuits. From the dress code description, it sounds like they are fine.

Good luck with it Hokey. Just stay open about it, and see how you feel.

For sure go to the interview, but I'd also say go with your gut, Hokey. Jobs, like men, can be absolute disasters if you don't listen to your instincts.

I'd definitely check on the clothing issue and mention that you have circulation problems, will wear long skirts, and ask whether that will do if they say you 'must' wear skirts. I'm also astonished that they stipulate 'female' dress. It will be interesting to hear how that plays out.

I totally understand your unwillingness to drive. I hate commuter driving and would not take a job if it required me to drive twice a day but the options others mentioned may be available.

Bottom line, though, your contract work sounds promising, and if your gut tells you you won't be a good 'fit' with this company then I'd not go for it.

I've also knocked back jobs for reasons such as travel, and not fitting in with the company 'feel'. It's OK to do so...just weigh things up carefully.

• Author
HokeyReligions

:)

Thanks all. I did talk with my head-hunter about the dress code and they are very strict. There is a very broad law that covers how companies dictate what their employees wear and they are certainly well within their rights to mandate skirts for women. A pantsuit during the week is okay for women depending on what department they work in and at what level. I'm considered low to middle management and basically anyone who supervises or is responsible for another person must dress as an executive. Wouldn't be bad if I got executive pay! One reason I never pursued a more executive level position is because I just flat out don't want to be mired in 50 hour work weeks and high-level decision making. I went that route once and I did not like it. I am not a formal person and my sense of humor doesn't work well in a Donald-Trump atmosphere! :D

I'll go to the interview of course, and I'm hoping that things might work out well, but I'm not going to be devastated if they don't.

On another note: I heard from a friend of mine last night and he offered me a 12 - 16 month contract. It pays $80/hr plus full benifits and will also cover my relocation and temporary housing, travel visas/passports, and some other items. The job is 95% administrative. One of the qualifications is that I also know how to operate a forklift and they will pay for my retesting and licensing and I can drive a mid-size truck which would be okay and a break from the office work. I would not have to drive far--just around the compound. Casual attire. Its a contract job working for KBR. In Iraq. He was serious! So, I've had two recent job offers out of the country. My friend took one in Nigeria. She said it was great and she was there for a little over 8 months. She made fantastic money.

I think I'm going to have to pass on this job though. Not because of the location -- but because of my absolute phobia about bugs and if I saw one camel spider I would become far too famous because I would run so fast over the water to get back home that people would think I was some kind of diety or demon! :bunny::p

One reason I never pursued a more executive level position is because I just flat out don't want to be mired in 50 hour work weeks and high-level decision making. I went that route once and I did not like it. I am not a formal person and my sense of humor doesn't work well in a Donald-Trump atmosphere

Amen, sistah! Most meetings I'm in turn into laugh sessions. This doesn't go over well in 'serious business' :) I can be absolutely straight and formal when the occasion calls for it, but I wouldn't want to have to be that way all the time. I might burst from the effort :D

I think I'm going to have to pass on this job though. Not because of the location -- but because of my absolute phobia about bugs and if I saw one camel spider I would become far too famous because I would run so fast over the water to get back home that people would think I was some kind of deity or demon!

hmmmm ... bugs on the one hand, pantyhose on the other. Bugs ... or hose .... hose ... bugs ....

I think I'd run screaming from a job that required me to wear hose!!!! though the idea of driving heavy equipment sounds like fun, bugs or no.

amerikajin

Hokey,

I think you should just accept the dress code. I don't like dress codes either but after a while, you'll just learn to live with it.

The main concern I have is the commute. How much of that is going to eat into your weekly paycheck? Think about that, and then, as moimeme said, get a feel for the job at the interview. Go with your gut.

• Author
HokeyReligions

They want to see me again -- even AFTER I said that I didn't think I would be the right fit for the position (I really don't think I will--there are too many aspects of the job that I don't like and the good does not outweigh the bad).

They now want to discuss the salary and have said they will offer me more than originally stated. It's not about the money right now. I mean, I need to make money--but job satisfaction is now at the top of my priority list and since I'm not in the position of having to take whatever I can get, I'm being picky.

Sigh--looks like I will have to tell them face-to-face. OTOH - it's nice to be sought after! :D

I mean, I need to make money--but job satisfaction is now at the top of my priority list

Really, by far the wisest decision. If you trade in job satisfaction for money, you end up wrecking your health and happiness, too. Not even close to worth it.

• Author
HokeyReligions

Okay, I have my second interview tomorrow morning. I'll be clear about it.

Now, I just got off the phone and I have a first interview with another company-closer to home and doing something I like a whole lot more--graphic design! It pays less, but its closer to home and the job sounds great! I sent them my resume and within five minutes of them receiving the email they called me and set up the interview! I'm at the first place at 8 AM and the second place at 10 AM.

I don't know the exact salary yet - but its for a medical company with fantabulous medical/dental benefits and its only a couple miles farther than my last FT job was! (fingers crossed) :D I'm really EXCITED about this one!!!!!

reasontosigh

I hope so, too - that one sounds like it's soooooooo much better on a number of fronts!!!!!

:bunny:

• Author
HokeyReligions

Well,

The first place (an environmental engineering firm) was interesting. I found out more. Basically, they want an accountant for 50% of the time and an Administrative Coordinator 50% of the time! I’m not an accountant and I don’t want to be spitting out financial statements and variances for the rest of my life! Also, they are restructuring their office and want a new administrative supervisor to come in and be the one to work with the clerical staff for a few weeks and then start cutting them! Yikes! Next to number crunching, I hate laying people off—I’ve only had to do that a couple of times before, its NOT fun! Plus, I get the feeling that a lot of the clerical work will be done by the supervisor (which would be me) and its just not a job that I want. Ten years ago when I was still “climbing the corporate ladder”, I might have been interested since it will probably lead to other things, but now I’m just not interested in the stress. I told him that and I sent a nice follow-up letter (thanks, but no thanks) so there is no mistaking my answer. (They don’t pay enough for the type of work they want out of a person anyway)

The second job sounds good, but it doesn’t pay as much. I’m hoping for a second interview with them this week though. I will need to learn another software immediately if I get the job because they expect the person entering the job to have an intermediate to advanced skill/knowledge of Corel Draw. I’ve used Corel a couple of times in the past – but only to make a banner for a service bureau! I have it at home and can learn it though.

I had another interview a week before with a new recruiter. It was K*R*A*P*P*Y! They had a position for which they felt I would perfect. Good location, salary, company, benefits, etc. We had talked about it over the phone for several days and they were anxious to submit my resume – but they couldn’t until they had my information on file. I had been to one of their other locations a year ago and said they should have everything on file for me and I sent them an updated resume. Hmm… They said “come in so we can meet and then I can present you to my client. They are anxiously looking for someone just like you and I told them that I had a new prospect for them.”

I went in. They couldn’t find my old information, except for my name and the date I originally came in. So, I filled out their paperwork, provided my references, and finally met with someone—who was obviously anxious to get me out of there. I briefly met with the woman whom I had spoken with earlier. The look on her face when she saw me was shock. I’m not a size 6. She blew me off—they all blew me off because I don’t fit their size requirements! I saw them fall all over themselves for tiny people, I looked at their book of ‘success stories’, and every person in there was small. I doubt if any of them wore above a size 9!

I called back the next day and she told me that their client now had an offer pending. Hmm… In one day, we went from their client anxiously awaiting my resume to them making an offer. BS!

Anyway, I find out from someone who used to work there that anyone who doesn’t fit their unwritten profile [between 18 – 40, up to size 10, dress very conservative and professional, hair and nails perfect for women, and yes—even the color of the skin. They accept people of all races, but if someone is ‘too dark’ (as it was put to me) then they are winnowed out too] that they take their information and toss all but the name and date the person came in—so my information was tossed the same day I came in. Now, I know that this person who used to work there may be exaggerating somewhat, but I know in my heart that they are not lying outright because I’ve experienced discrimination against people who wear larger sizes. The terminology is “Professional Appearance” which means a suit and proper accoutrements, and size 12 or under.

I could try to sue them, but that would hurt me more in the end and they know it. It would take a group of size 12’s & up to get together and go after them, and then we’d have no proof—just hearsay. It’s not worth it. It’s just so frustrating. I get an offer for a job I don't want and would just be another blot on my resume, and the ones that I'm interested in--I can't get past the bigots! GRRR!!

I'm almost tempted to start buying lottery tickets again!

Ugh. Well, Hokey, you'd not ever want to work with people with such hateful standards. I once ended up in a place that was all-white and had a couple more bigots than I ever care to meet. Made me sick. Fortunately, that sort of BS is pretty rare here.

I hope you get interview #2 with the company you want.

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thank you.

Sheee-it! I just got another call from company #1. They were upset that I was declining their offer and want me to meet with some other executives for a THIRD interview! H-e-double-toothpicks! I'm going to tell them the salary I want and take the bloody job! I'll get used to the drive. At least its something! After more than a year of contract work I can take another middle-management job and lay people off if I have to.

Now lets see, AFE #1 should have a debit balance, the financial statements feed into the balance sheet here, and the budget variances go here, and where is that COA again? (I really don't like accounting and I haven't done it in a while and have blocked it out of my mind like all bad memories! :D)