Experience Required (A Rant)

Graduating college in 16 days, so obviously I am in the job search. Well, as much as I would love to find a job outside of retail, becuase that is all I have seemed to have known for my years of working, jobs are very limited. Everyone wants someone with experience. Well yeah, someone with expereince is a great thing, and makes life easier, but waht about those of us with no experience in a particular field? What are we supposed to do? Someone has to take a risk on us so we can GAIN the experience to be able to answer the "experienced people only" ads. GRRR. Its so frustrating. And I have a degree in psychology, which you cant really do anything with unless you get your masters or higher(which I will, in a couple of years, but I have been in school for 21 years, and am in dire need of a break.), so there isnt a whole hell of a lot that I can do in that department. i mean yeah, Im actually doing an internship this summer for psychology, and the place Im doing it at, does give opportunity to place. But why cant someone take a chance on someone with no experience? Becuase somoene has to in order for me to get experience! :mad: sorry, Im just a little frustrated with the job search right now. Speaking of, i should look again tonight, did last night. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Here's what you do. You find an organization that needs volunteers to do whatever it is you want to be doing in your life. Then you give them some of your time. In return, you help people, make more connections, get experience, and every once in a while, even a job.

sportsloving

It is like being told you need a car to work, but to get a car you have to work. Yeah ok.

Moimeme is right, you can volunteer your time and sometimes that will even lead to a job (getting paid for what you did for free, go figure).

I have had a wide range of jobs, from retreading truck tires to office manager of a crisis center(was a volunteer first, job feel at my feet so to speak), to real estate. I did it all because they sounded like fun jobs and so I took a chance and applied. Apply to everything, no matter what.

And best of luck to you, I hope you find the perfect opportunity for yourself :cool:

The "I'm moldable to your company" worked for me. I wasn't able to come in with something set in my mind...I had no choice but to be moldable to that company. They love me now and I can't imagine working anywhere else. All I know is *this company*.

tattoomytoe

anything can be used as experience, retail= lots of customer service skills, usually....

also most places will say that, but go ahead and apply, meybe thay are looking for your typew of experience, or they really take a liking to you and hire you.....applying will not hurt!

reasontosigh
Originally posted by tikibrandy

The "I'm moldable to your company" worked for me. I wasn't able to come in with something set in my mind...I had no choice but to be moldable to that company. They love me now and I can't imagine working anywhere else. All I know is *this company*.

Good suggestion.

tattoomytoe is also right about retail = customer service skills. Actually I would take that one step further:

retail = people skills

Unless you are working by yourself and for yourself, every company needs someone with people skills!

Good luck! :cool:

I spent my years at college and law school waiting tables. I was topping my class at an Ivy League school but because my father isn't well connected like most of my classmates, I was unable to find a job in the legal field. I ended up spending my final three years volunteering at any law firm or legal organisation that would have me. Although it took a lot of time and energy and days when I couldn't afford to pay the rent because there were not enough hours in the day to study and work both paying and non paying jobs, the graduate offers started pouring in after I finished my degree.

Companies will always look favourably upon people who show the initiative in order to get their foot in the door. I was passionate about the law and the amount of volunteering jobs I did showed this. In the end it didn't matter about my lack of experience in a paid legal job - it was my commitment in the field that shone through.

Get out there and VOLUNTEER. You never know what will lead to the position of your dreams.

• 3 weeks later...

"If experience was all that mattered, we would never had landed on the moon."

Find an open position for a job that you really want or find interesting.

Go to the career counceling office at your school and make an appt. with one of the advisors. Thats the first step. While you are there look through the books of positions or job openings that they have available (if it weren't possible for a recent grad to get these jobs then they wouldn' have the ads for these jobs posted in the office).

Pick a job or two (keep it simple at first, don't overwhelm yourself) that you think you can do or are qualified for and call them up if there is a number or send you resume if there is only a fax. If there is a number though, call it, that shows that you are not intimidated by the business world and that you have initiative.

If they call you in for an interview, remember that you have a chance because they wouldn't have brought you in otherwise because people don't like to waste their time. If you do go on an interview remember to exude confidence. You want them to think that even though your a newbie to the world, you have what it takes.