Under investigation

HokeyReligions

I do not have hire/fire authority in my current job. Which is one reason I took it and declined the sr. Management position. I don't want the stress. But I am asked for my opinion and input. In the last four months I recommend one be let go and another be kept on a contract basis. Another was let go without my input xcept I supplied the attendance record. One person filed a complaint and named me. This is a very disgruntled former employee. I have done nothing wrong but because someone didn't think the rules applied to them and felt ENTITLED to a job they are sueing and forcing me to counter t sue for harassment. I did not make the final decision. I understand this person found anothet job fast and lost it for the same behaviour. It was after this job loss this person sued my company.

I'm not worried for me but I do dislike drama. If you're fired why drag it out? Why not try jusy move on?

january2011

Revenge and to lash out in response to the pain and anger they feel. They want to get some kind of relief and have picked you as the target. Whether they actually think it's all your fault might be neither here nor there.

Not sure if you are venting or want advice (or both) but I'd speak to your human resources and legal departments. Might also want to collate all your dealings with this former employer, e.g., emails and minutes of meetings, particularly communications that document the behaviour for which he/she was let go.

I concur that you should be speaking with your companies hr and legal departments to make sure this is being properly handled.

Also I would suggest that since it isn't your job to hire and fire other people, quit getting in the mix. You say you don't want the stress, but here you are with it because you offered your opinion. If it is not your job to do that then guess what? You don't need to have an opinion and that is exactly what you need to say next time you're asked. Then you can keep your name out of it and keep your stress levels low.

january2011

Might also want to collate all your dealings with this former employer

Apologies, I meant to write, "employee."

I'm not saying it's true of this particular person, but some people might sue with the intention of forcing the company's insurance company to settle. They don't want a court case, but they're hoping the insurance company doesn't want one, either.

If you did not make the decision to terminate this particular employee and did not recommend they be terminated, you're okay.

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thanks for the replies. I'm the supervisor so I do have input and I wanted her gone but I also have to justify my statements within the framework of HR. This persons attitude was so bad and demanding. She was a temp and knew there was no guarantee for a permanent position. She just loves drama and I guess can't get enough. I'm glad I didn't take the manager's job when it was offered. I need more time with my ailing spouse and specifically took the secondary position so I wouldn't have to deal with this. I'm looking for a position closer to home and with better benefits anyway. I keep running into "you are overqualified" problem -they either want me in a management role or they are afraid they will go to the expense of hiring me and I'll get bored and leave. People don't seem to believe me when I say I will be very happy with less money and maximum 40 hours a week and no authority. I don't see it as a step down because to me my time with my family is far more important than a title or more money and more power and the stress that comes with it. I had that but my spouse was healthy then. Now its day to day and we are tryng to deal with the fact that he may not be here much longer.

whichwayisup

I can understand a long term employee getting a lawyer and suing as they might feel slighted or the reasons for being let go were wrong, but a temp? Especially one who wasn't even guaranteed a full time job? That's dramatic and unnecessary.. anyway, do your best not to stress over this, it's out of your hands. You were asked to do a job, you did it and unfortunately that person wasn't up to standards. They screwed up, did it to themselves.

Wish you and your husband lots of strength - So sorry for all that you're going through. Again.

" If you're fired why drag it out? Why not try just move on?"

It is easier said then done. Getting fired doesn't really hit home until bills start coming around and they you begin to realize "oh, geez, how am I going to pay for this?" Then all the bad memories of being fired, and how if you were never fired, paying the light bill wouldn't be much of an issue. So, hence the lawsuit, trying to make a "quick buck", but in all reality takes a few months if not years.

• Author
HokeyReligions

The investigation is finally concluded. After HR interviewed almost everyone she interacted with they concluded I have more patience and tolerance than most! They also discovered she found another job and lost it for the same behavior. She tried to say that it was my fault she lost that job too because it was at a company I worked for years ago and she claimed I talked to my former coworkers and gave her a bad reputation. I had to file a complaint against her with her now former temp agency and a lible suit against her personally.

Now she is being investigated by both the agency and the other company. If their investigation shows that she is trying to extort money from me or from a company by naming me, I will move forward with a criminal suit againt her. She will lose because she now is trying to play the race card. She doesn't stand a chance thete because all of the people I have recommended and were hired two are the same race as her and the other two are of two different

Thanks for the replies. I'm the supervisor so I do have input and I wanted her gone but I also have to justify my statements within the framework of HR. This persons attitude was so bad and demanding. She was a temp and knew there was no guarantee for a permanent position. She just loves drama and I guess can't get enough. I'm glad I didn't take the manager's job when it was offered. I need more time with my ailing spouse and specifically took the secondary position so I wouldn't have to deal with this. I'm looking for a position closer to home and with better benefits anyway. I keep running into "you are overqualified" problem -they either want me in a management role or they are afraid they will go to the expense of hiring me and I'll get bored and leave. People don't seem to believe me when I say I will be very happy with less money and maximum 40 hours a week and no authority. I don't see it as a step down because to me my time with my family is far more important than a title or more money and more power and the stress that comes with it. I had that but my spouse was healthy then. Now its day to day and we are trying to deal with the fact that he may not be here much longer.

I'm caught up in a similar situation when it comes to work?

I'm over experienced

Overly educated for most jobs that are out here?

Etc. etc, etc,

The job I have is basically and entry level job. A job I could have gotten had I not even finished middle/junior high school!

But factoring in my military retirement, my medical and dental insurance via the military TriCare system, (Premiums of $22 a month, $12 Doctor's office co-pay, $3 prescription drug co-pay, etc. I had to have surgery on my thigh, put in a pin and a plate etc. Hospital bill? $86,0000! :(:eek:

My co-pay? Less than $75! ;):cool:

I've got military commissary (on base grocery store) for life! I can buy name brand foods for 30 to 40 % less without the city, county, state sales tax! ;):cool::p

Its not what you make? Its what you bring home from what you make?

I make more money (Factoring in my military retirement which I've been receiving since age 38) than my senior supervisor! :eek::laugh: Who is three tiers above me!

Those between my basic level as an "Assembly Technician" and he? There for the most part "Clowns" that couldn't manage to lead a bunch of drunks coming out of an AA meeting across the street to a liquor store at high noon on a Sunday afternoon giving away free premium whiskey by the damned barrel full! :eek::mad:;):laugh:

They don't understand nor comprehend that saying such things as...........................

"When you get the chance, I would like for you to..................

"If you would, as soon as you have the opportunity to do so? I would like for you to......................

Carries the same meaning and authority as "GET YOU AZZZ OVER HERE AND DO THIS NOW!"

Me? I'm working to live!

Not living to work!

I can, could and have lived off just off my military retirement? It covers all of the basics. Housing, utility bills, groceries, cable, the gas bill, etc.

But its not enough to enjoy any extras?

But if it absolutely had to come down to it? I could just look at some idiot of a supervisor and tell them..............................

You know what? You can just KMA! Not on the right, nor the left, but right smack in tha' middle of the crack! :eek::mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And then walk!

I'm not bragging nor trying to get into any one's face? Because I finding out more and more each day about "unintentional consequences" as a result of making the military my career of choice!

And although I never thought about it until I was back out here in civilian la~la land? What I did by doing my 20+? Was to secure my freedom from being a 'wage-slave' constantly worrying about my job or being 'job scared!"

And per the OP? Your absolutely right? Why would I ~ should I subject to this absolute BS because some "self entitled temp" of a drama llama want to play the discrimination ~ race card?

Or for that matter? Any kind of card?