How to turn my internship into a job?

Treble Clef

So I'm in my final semester of college and I've been doing a credited internship. I really enjoy working there: I get to use the skills I learned in school, most of my coworkers are grads of my college so we can get on, boss seems to like me or at least trust me not to mess up since he's let me help out on some of heir bigger projects.

I'd really like to continue working there after I graduate but I don't know when or how to ask my boss. When would be a good time? At the moment we're swamped with projects and he's interviewing the summer interns so I don't want to seem too pushy, but I don't want to wait too long in case he hires other people and has no more place for me. Should I wait till my last month there? Or ask him ASAP? How should I phrase my request??

Any advice would be appreciated:)

No you don't want to wait until your last month because you need to know what your options are now. Don't let the whole swamped with projects thing deter you because chances are things will always be busy, that is a sign that the company is doing well. Just pull your boss aside and let him know that you would like to have a brief meeting with him to assess your progress there. Do not say that you intend to ask for a job.

Then be prepared for this meeting because he could say right now is a good time or could pencil you in at the end of the week. I'm guessing since this internship is giving you school credit there were specific skills/tasks you were to learn? So start there by stating what you feel you have accomplished and what is still in progress. Then ask his input. Then you can shift the conversation to what you really want by saying something like "there are a number of additional skills/tasks I would love to develop such as *insert xyz here* and given the upcoming end of my internship I wondered if it was possible to stay on longer? The goal here is to leave the question a little broad so that he has the chance to bring up all opportunities internship, summer only, part time, full time, etc that way you can review the options. Also leaving the question broad gives him the opportunity to consider creating something just for you if such a position doesn't currently exist and he likes you.

Regardless of what happens in this meeting or when it takes place create a resume and start shopping it around and scheduling interviews. That way if things don't work out at this place you'll have feelers out there and you'll get to practice your interview skills.

• 3 weeks later...

You can write a letter of intent or verbally inform your boss of your interest in applying for a permanant position because you enjoy working there, you are familiar with the projects and policies and procedures of the company and would like to continue to contribute to be an asset.

Ask him how do you go about applying for a permanent position.

If your boss asks about your schooling then advise him that this is your last semester at the college.

I would talk with him as soon as he has a free moment in his schedule. For example, you might try to catch him while he's walking into the break room or if you write the letter of intent email him during business hours only.

Edited by Tressugar
Standard-Fare

Agree with the suggestions to try to sit down with your boss. Ask him if he has a moment to speak with you at some point when he's not busy. Tell him how much you've learned from/enjoyed the internship and ask about job possibilities in the future. Have your resume handy, maybe.

If there's no immediate positive response, make sure to express flexibility (for example... that you would be able to consider part-time work, jobs that may not be an exact match for your skills but would get you in the door, etc.) Unfortunately that's often necessary with today's job market.

A last-ditch path, if it can be a realistic option for you: See if there's a possibility of extending your internship. At places I've worked, the interns who stick around longest always seem most likely to get hired. Because eventually they start to feel like real employees and their transition to a permanent position just seems natural. For long-term, full-time employees, you have no idea how much interns can just seem like flies passing through the machinery... they're with you for a short time and many make no lasting impression.