Asking about compensation tacky?

How do you guys feel about asking for the compensation of a job? I definitely need to know before I agree to work. I like what I'm doing now, but the primary purpose I am looking for another job is that I need more hours and a higher pay...if the company doesn't offer that, then there isn't a point to me quitting the current job. My brother also moved out of state to a job he later found out was minimum wage. :eek:

It is all part of the negotiations and of course you wouldn't agree to a job without knowing the compensation package.

It isn't just about salary either; I have taken jobs that pay lower but have higher levels of vacation, 401k matching, and benefits.

When you are in the job-hunting process, you might want to say, "I am really interested and feel I am very qualified for this position and hope the compensation package is equal to my experience." You go from there...

• Like 2
How do you guys feel about asking for the compensation of a job? I definitely need to know before I agree to work. I like what I'm doing now, but the primary purpose I am looking for another job is that I need more hours and a higher pay...if the company doesn't offer that, then there isn't a point to me quitting the current job. My brother also moved out of state to a job he later found out was minimum wage. :eek:

I would absolutely ask about pay in the interviewing process. You are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. I wouldn't ask it on the first initial meeting but fairly soon I need a good scope on what the position is offering.

The philosophy in my company is it is better to get the money talk out of the way fairly early so in the initial phone interview your salary is asked and we go over the beginning of the salary range for the position. If someone is 50K over what we are looking for it is a waste of everyone's time to continue talking. And we have a belief that it is not a good thing usually for someone to take a major drop in salary, they tend to look for a promotion very quickly and become disillusioned fast. It is a case by case basis but we want to be as transparent with the candidates as we hope they are with us.

• Like 1

You don't bring it up, u wait for them to mention it

• Author

.....What if they don't mention it? This is exactly how my brother moved out of state for a low paying job and didn't know the compensation.

Totally disagree.

After an initial interview, it is not inappropriate to inquire about the compensation package to ensure that no time is wasted on anyone's part.

Heck, I've done it during first interviews or phone interviews. It is easy enough: "It seems like we might be a nice fit with your needs and my qualifications, but I don't want to waste your time if my salary expectations are different than what you are offering." or something along those lines...

• Like 4
  • Author
Totally disagree.

After an initial interview, it is not inappropriate to inquire about the compensation package to ensure that no time is wasted on anyone's part.

Heck, I've done it during first interviews or phone interviews. It is easy enough: "It seems like we might be a nice fit with your needs and my qualifications, but I don't want to waste your time if my salary expectations are different than what you are offering." or something along those lines...

Agreed. I applied to this job on craigslist...a lot of times they don't say much about the company, so I cannot remember which place it was that I applied. I asked the person on the phone about the number of hours and she said I'd have to ask the hiring manager during my interview. Thankfully it's during my lunch hour and only 2 miles away, but still, I'd like to know those details before wasting anyone's time. I've gone to jobs that end up being a let down because it only paid in stock...a little embarrassing for both of us, because he asked when I could start and I didn't want to turn him down right there, so I sent a follow up email saying thanks, but no thanks.

.....What if they don't mention it? This is exactly how my brother moved out of state for a low paying job and didn't know the compensation.

I didn't think it was a such thing as moving out of state for a low paying job

Interviewing is like dating, would you not ask the basic questions of your date or just go willy nilly into a relationship knowing little about the person? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

I have never viewed recruiting/interviewing like a company is bestowing this great honor upon me and if I am ever so lucky they may pick me. I look at it as we are looking to potentially create a business partnership and each party is interviewing the other to see if they feel that both sides are a cultural and needs fit. I have turned down positions because I did not think that ultimately the company was one that had the values I wanted or the management in place that I would fit into.

Compensation is huge, just like benefits. It is not inappropriate to ask about either and if the hiring manager takes offense, well to me that tells me something about them and a major red flag.

• Like 1

Compensation is huge, just like benefits. It is not inappropriate to ask about either and if the hiring manager takes offense, well to me that tells me something about them and a major red flag.

I agree to a point, it depends on when the questions happen.

At the very least a wage bracket is know to the person applying for the job, meaning they know how much the position is worth roughly up front just by viewing the position, if they are qualified and know the going rate for their skillset then they know about what the job pays.

As an employer there is nothing worse than to get a resume via email and ask what the job is paying, the resume finds its way very quickly to the recycle bin.

Why would I want to hire someone whose first and main concern is money rather than more about the job or my company ? the answer is I don't.

The time to ask about money would be after the first interview is over and not before.

In my company the benefits alone can add up to 10-15k per year to someones salary package when comparing up against other companies.

We offer 100% health ins coverage, 401-k with a great match.. etc etc..

So to discuss money before the job and it's requirements and seeing if a person is a fit and vise versa are putting the cart before the horse...

There is a time for everything....

Edited by Art_Critic
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Author

A lot of employers have told me up front over the phone about the hours and compensation package. Going to an interview for a job that pays less, has less hours when you are primarily looking for another job so you can make more money or at least get full time hours defeats the purpose. I like my current job...but fact is that I need more money. I've been here nearly two years with no wage increase, no benefits and there are no promotional opportunities as it's a small company. I would be willing to take another job with the same wages and hours only if it offers benefits...then that's a step up. If I end up at the interview for a job that pays less or the same, same or less hours, then everyone's time is wasted IMO. If I am told up front, I can politely decline and move on to the next, and they can move on to the next applicant.

Edited by pink_sugar
Interviewing is like dating, would you not ask the basic questions of your date or just go willy nilly into a relationship knowing little about the person? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

I have never viewed recruiting/interviewing like a company is bestowing this great honor upon me and if I am ever so lucky they may pick me. I look at it as we are looking to potentially create a business partnership and each party is interviewing the other to see if they feel that both sides are a cultural and needs fit. I have turned down positions because I did not think that ultimately the company was one that had the values I wanted or the management in place that I would fit into.

The salary is going to be brought up before they extend the offer so it's no need to say anything about it

I have never left an interview without knowing the wage they expect to pay. At the very least, it should enter during the "So... do you have any questions for me?" phase.

• Like 2
A lot of employers have told me up front over the phone about the hours and compensation package. Going to an interview for a job that pays less, has less hours when you are primarily looking for another job so you can make more money or at least get full time hours defeats the purpose. I like my current job...but fact is that I need more money. I've been here nearly two years with no wage increase, no benefits and there are no promotional opportunities as it's a small company. I would be willing to take another job with the same wages and hours only if it offers benefits...then that's a step up. If I end up at the interview for a job that pays less or the same, same or less hours, then everyone's time is wasted IMO. If I am told up front, I can politely decline and move on to the next, and they can move on to the next applicant.

You're in a position where you have little to lose. I actually am inclined to think that you might get a little more cred if you ask them up front on the phone (when they're asking you to come in for an interview) how much the wage is. Just say you are already gainfully employed and would not consider leaving a job you like for a lateral move or less. All they can do is either tell you the wage or keep looking.

• Author

I told them today at the interview what I was looking for, after I asked him if they are compensating by experience. He didn't seem to know anything about whether or not benefits were offered or have any idea what they were looking for as far as the wage. He just told me if I got the job, they would make an offer. But he did write down my wage request and questions regarding benefits. Nice people there, but I find it odd how the employees are not very well informed. :laugh:

I have never left an interview without knowing the wage they expect to pay. At the very least, it should enter during the "So... do you have any questions for me?" phase.

Yep, that's exactly when the wage, # of hours and benefits questions were asked.

The salary is going to be brought up before they extend the offer so it's no need to say anything about it

Not according to this interviewer. I won't know until the offer is extended apparently, lol.

Edited by pink_sugar
I told them today at the interview what I was looking for, after I asked him if they are compensating by experience. He didn't seem to know anything about whether or not benefits were offered or have any idea what they were looking for as far as the wage. He just told me if I got the job, they would make an offer. But he did write down my wage request and questions regarding benefits. Nice people there, but I find it odd how the employees are not very well informed. :laugh:

Yep, that's exactly when the wage, # of hours and benefits questions were asked.

Not according to this interviewer. I won't know until the offer is extended apparently, lol.

I never heard of a SURPISE OFFER LETTER

LOL

• Author

They said it would be over the phone and I assume paperwork in person after that. :laugh:

Again, totally disagree... The range of job interviews I have been on often include going on four or five or six interviews within a company. There is NO WAY I am going to spend five hours with a potential job only to learn the position does not pay in my range.

Seriously - bring it up early if they don't. Why waste anyone's time waiting for an offer that is going to be low-ball?

• Like 1
And that's how you end up in the situations mentioned in this thread

For certain people from certain backgrounds it is still seen as tacky to talk at all about money, but as a prospective employee it is your right to know. If they want to play the kind of games art_critic talks of then what other games, some illegal, will they be playing? You shouldn't want to work for a company who has no qualms toying with your future.

Not sure what games you are speaking about here, maybe you could bring those to light.

I don't think it is your right to know up front, to word it better would be that you should already be informed of what your skill set is worth and apply for jobs that fit your skill set, you will then know by default a rough bracket of what the job pays.

Of course money and needs should be discussed, that is all part of the hiring process but to show a potential employer that you care more about money than his job, company or even the position is just guaranteeing you a lower position on the call back list or guaranteeing that you won't wind up on that list.

• Like 1
Again, totally disagree... The range of job interviews I have been on often include going on four or five or six interviews within a company. There is NO WAY I am going to spend five hours with a potential job only to learn the position does not pay in my range.

Seriously - bring it up early if they don't. Why waste anyone's time waiting for an offer that is going to be low-ball?

If you are employed............yes

If you are unemployed.........no

Not sure what games you are speaking about here, maybe you could bring those to light.

I don't think it is your right to know up front, to word it better would be that you should already be informed of what your skill set is worth and apply for jobs that fit your skill set, you will then know by default a rough bracket of what the job pays.

Of course money and needs should be discussed, that is all part of the hiring process but to show a potential employer that you care more about money than his job, company or even the position is just guaranteeing you a lower position on the call back list or guaranteeing that you won't wind up on that list.

Thank You, great post.

No need to bring up salary until you know that they are thinking of bringing you on board

• Author
If you are employed............yes

If you are unemployed.........no

I find it funny that you said many things contrary to these statements when you were unemployed....

Remember that you didn't accept a job because it paid too little even though you were unemployed? What happened to that? :confused:

Edited by pink_sugar

It should be pointed out that many times pay is negotiable or changes depending upon how much experience you may have in the position.

To talk about pay up front before any other things are discussed is starting the negotiations without all the data needed to negotiate.

It has happened before that pay has come out in the first interview and normally the answer we have for that is abc dollar to xyz dollar and the pay depends on experience and how much training will be needed.

I would also point out that about half of our interviews here are group interviews, people are selected after being whittled down from a poll of applicants, the other half are one on one interviews... it depends on the position to what kind of interview we hold.

I agree to a point, it depends on when the questions happen.

At the very least a wage bracket is know to the person applying for the job, meaning they know how much the position is worth roughly up front just by viewing the position, if they are qualified and know the going rate for their skillset then they know about what the job pays.

As an employer there is nothing worse than to get a resume via email and ask what the job is paying, the resume finds its way very quickly to the recycle bin.

Why would I want to hire someone whose first and main concern is money rather than more about the job or my company ? the answer is I don't.

The time to ask about money would be after the first interview is over and not before.

In my company the benefits alone can add up to 10-15k per year to someones salary package when comparing up against other companies.

We offer 100% health ins coverage, 401-k with a great match.. etc etc..

So to discuss money before the job and it's requirements and seeing if a person is a fit and vise versa are putting the cart before the horse...

There is a time for everything....

Our philosophy, you discuss it at the same time you are discussing other aspects of the job and the company in the first interview. Yes if we interview someone, or Recruiting interviews someone, and they ask no questions about the company, are not already familiar with it as we are very much part of pop culture so liking what we stand for is paramount for us, and only focus on money. Of course not a fit. For us, based on what we do and who we are, drinking "our koolaide" is the most important piece. Do you know who we are, do you like our product, and do you agree with our foundation. Then we will look at money. But for many positions discussion of pay, benefits, etc. are part and parcel for the job and not considered a faux pas to discuss. For us, it is a bigger pet peeve to say you don't like what we do, offer suggestions on how to change core pieces, or not have the same focus as us. Money is secondary. :) We are fanatical about what we do and want team members who feel the same way.