Am I being harassed at work?

Hi,

I don't generally have issues at work. I have 10+ years of experience and run my own consulting company on the side (non-compete and most of us consultants have a side business). I started at this firm a few years ago. I had absolutely NO issues. Nada. Not one note on being late etc. I actually got praised a lot and had won awards during my tenure. Recently, we got a new head supervisor in our office. He has been less than stellar and I am biting the bullet and resigning because it's becoming to take a toll on my health. Here are a few things that he does that I feel are unacceptable:

- He has told me that I should try and have some kids because it's probably time.

When he first said that, I thought he was trying to be funny. But when he said it again, I actually felt as though he wanted to gauge if I would be going on mat leave anytime soon... I am not and will not be for at least 5 years.

- He has booked meetings and not showed up

- He has belittled and made very condescending remarks about females in front of our male colleagues. He has followed up with some of his remarks with "Am I right, guys???" He once told my co worker and I (both of us are females) that we should just sit on the sidelines and root on the men because "that's what women do".

- He calls me out of office hours to yell at me for something that has happened during the day whether I was included or not.

- He has threatened my job and has written me up for something he said was mandatory when in an email he said it wasn't. My colleague and I both did the exact same thing and I was the only one who got written up. My coworker is male.

I have a lot of documentation on him and 2 other female coworkers have reported him to HR but they have not done anything. Am I being way too sensitive?

Contact HR and ask them what you should be documenting or how you should be responding to a situation you feel could escalate . Ask them how you can prepare to legally protect yourself.

THAT'S how you do it.

• Like 3

What I might suggest is that you discuss this with an employment lawyer. From the sounds of it, you might have a case for discrimination but it depends on the labour laws in your jurisdiction.

• Like 4
Hi,

I don't generally have issues at work. I have 10+ years of experience and run my own consulting company on the side (non-compete and most of us consultants have a side business). I started at this firm a few years ago. I had absolutely NO issues. Nada. Not one note on being late etc. I actually got praised a lot and had won awards during my tenure. Recently, we got a new head supervisor in our office. He has been less than stellar and I am biting the bullet and resigning because it's becoming to take a toll on my health. Here are a few things that he does that I feel are unacceptable:

- He has told me that I should try and have some kids because it's probably time.

When he first said that, I thought he was trying to be funny. But when he said it again, I actually felt as though he wanted to gauge if I would be going on mat leave anytime soon... I am not and will not be for at least 5 years.

- He has booked meetings and not showed up

- He has belittled and made very condescending remarks about females in front of our male colleagues. He has followed up with some of his remarks with "Am I right, guys???" He once told my co worker and I (both of us are females) that we should just sit on the sidelines and root on the men because "that's what women do".

- He calls me out of office hours to yell at me for something that has happened during the day whether I was included or not.

- He has threatened my job and has written me up for something he said was mandatory when in an email he said it wasn't. My colleague and I both did the exact same thing and I was the only one who got written up. My coworker is male.

I have a lot of documentation on him and 2 other female coworkers have reported him to HR but they have not done anything. Am I being way too sensitive?

He sounds extremely unprofessional...report him asap!

Hang on... that wasn't the only issue.... it's not fair to gloss over and ignore everything else and focus on that one comment.....

• Author
I have had women and men tell me that and I am male. Maybe you are being a little too sensitive.

He has no clue if I'm married or even straight for him to make a statement like that.

Thanks everyone else for your response. There has been a few HR complaints and none have been taken seriously.

Oh, there were 3 other females that have already left the company (one had almost 20 years of experience with this firm and she could not stand the verbal abuse). Last week, he went on a rant about why someone had left... He made comments like "well she's a woman and couldn't handle it in the real (mans) world" or "why do women get so emotional. Would you rather walk around in an outfit you don't look good in? Or have someone tell you?" and there was nothing wrong with her suit. He said this to a a coworker who was wearing a dark grey suit and a blue shirt.... he was actually commenting on her weight in a passive aggressive way.

He likes to dangle that he's the boss over our heads and reminds us that he doesn't need to give us a reason to let us go. If you take a look at my work and exclude everything else, I am one of the top people in my firm. So why am I being treated this way? I definitely do not feel as though I am getting treated the way I should be. Especially when I have amazing clients who praise the heck out of me and I meet all my KPI metrics.

Edited by CherryT

You need to gather a posse of female colleagues and descend on the HR department 'en masse'.

And you need to remind them that they are there to protect the employees from issues of this kind - or would they prefer a lawsuit?

And tell them - either he receives disciplinary action and is monitored for future transgression - or you will all take joingt legal action against the Company directors for permitting this to continue unabated.

I have an acquaintance who, as part of a female work-force, was subjected to overt sexual harassment by a supervisor.

He turned up for work one day to find the entire workforce had gone on strike.

Everyone refused to come back until he had been removed.

It took 3 days - then the company caved, and the guy was moved 'sideways' to a less.... 'confrontational' position....

Seek legal counsel, and discuss this with your colleagues, in Confidence.

I would report to HR. If nothing is done you have other resources at hand as well, EEOC Home Page or employment attorney. You can file with the EEOC while staying employed with this company during and after.

That would be grounds to investigate in our company and does sound to be, if not harassment, very inappropriate.

I mentioned contacting HR in writing and asking them what procedures you to follow to protect your career, ask what constitutes boundaries, because you feel there is potential for a problem. By asking them, not telling them, in writing...you put the onus on them. Paper trail. Put it in their lap by asking what you should do, in writing. If they give you a verbal response, tell them you would feel more comfortable with a written response for obvious reasons.

He's a no good, d-bag. If what you and your friend have reported haven't yielded any results, it's only a matter of time before he says and does the wrong thing and puts the final nail in his own coffin. Seems like there's little to be done to remove undesirables in our workplace, but eventually, they work themselves out. But you're not being sensitive at all, and you're within your rights.