was "assisting" on a project, now i own it? i do not think so

tattoomytoe

well one of the higher up secretaries, asked me to assist her on project, which i was. well few weeks ago she called down and asked if i had completed it. i said no..not thinking it was really even my responsibility, i told her i would help some.

so today she calls and is like..this is not complete, i needed all this other info as well, where is it? it is not even changed in the system....blah, blah....so i said ok, first off i thoought i was helping you with this, second she only told me to gather the info for one part..never mentioned the other part to me. Then she was like NO..it is our projecy i need you to complete this it was to be updated....

what crap..i am so pissed off!!! then with politics in my office.... basically the axe will come down on me, because i didn't complete the project!

so then i was going to look through my work emails to see just what was "said to me"...and of course they are deleted after 30 days..

so i call it and told them i want a longer saved junk period. he says oh, well that s alot of work for it is it really nessarry?

i guarantee that my old boss IT guys friend...and the secretaries buddy...well i am sure he has a longer period, cause i would have to check his mail when he was down here.

I work for a municipality...and it is so screwy, it is definately who you know, who you f*uck, And who you are!! It makes me sick!

HokeyReligions

I sympathize. I keep a CMA folder where I print out all of my emails and I keep a folder for specific projects. All you can do is tell the other secretary that she did not give you enough instruction at the onset of the project (put it in an email to her) and that you are sorry the project is not completed. Offer to get with her so that the two of you can outline exactly what needs to be done and who will be doing it and that you will be happy to help. Keep the email, cc your boss on it also so that your boss knows that you are offering to help and where some of your time is/will be spent. Be polite, be firm. Good luck.

oh. emails are usually saved for a while -- can you ask your IT dept to restore your emails back to a certain starting point? They should be able to do that and then you can sort and save what you need.

• Author
tattoomytoe

oh they CAN restore them....but i am not important enough for them to bother with doing it...that is what pisses me off!

AND why i stay on LS!

I used to be a City Clerk of a small town. The most important thing you can do is keep a Daily Journal of ALL activities and make personal copies of EVERYTHING! I have never known such hateful cut-throat people till I worked there. It was the worst job I ever had in my life.

At this point, I'm not sure if I can offer any advice because it sounds like a done deal. You can TALK to a few people and hope they understand or will help.....but like you said....it's WHO you know and WHO you can trust. In politics, they are few and far between.

Can they fire you directly or does it have to be done at a council meeting?

• Author
tattoomytoe

oh they most likely would not have cause to fire me. i am liked, just not a person in power. And i have been telling my newer boss, (we just had some changes in positions, so basically i am working with people i know) so he does know my frustrations. but it will not change.

i mean i will have to complete it no matter...but that is why i have an intern! even though she slows me down more than she helps...which is another beef i have.....i like my job, but i hate it too!!!!

:mad: grrrrr...how rude. Asking for your "help" then expecting you to "do" it. If you do it, she'll take credit. If you don't, you'll get blame :mad:

Tell the IT that the email were instructions from her on the specifics on the project, and you need the emailds for HER, to show that she described the job properly, otherwise the it will be her fault. tell the IT people that with out the emails she might end up looking bad to the boss.

might fly

• Author
tattoomytoe

well i sent my intern up to discuss what, specifically, she wanted on this project...and it turns out she is finishing it herself! yea!

I have worked for the same corporation for almost 8 years and my current boss is one of the most unethical pricks you will ever meet. But he has power and gets away with murder. He is an expert at manipulation and intimidation.

He gives me projects that are emergencies on a Tuesday and then the same projects are unimportant on Wednesday.

This man is impossible to read, impossible to satisfy and impossible to deal with. At my last review I was told I should make more suggestions and decisions on my own, but my boss disagrees with most of the decisons I make. He shoots down my suggestions because he is a control freak that wants things his way.

Bottom line...... you and I have to play the game to get the paycheck. It's not fair, life isn't fair.

So try and get another job. You sure have the experience. And it's not like your "building" a career there. Or at least try to change the department... Bad idea?

Fred,

Last I heard you were going to be working for a new boss. I hope that's still true.

Originally posted by amerikajin

Fred,

Last I heard you were going to be working for a new boss. I hope that's still true.

Yes, that is what I was told. But my current boss is not happy with that change. He is fighting it and if he pulls enough strings he may win.

It's a long boring story, but bottom line my current boss needs to keep his hands in enough departments to justify his existence in our branch office.

Technically he should be working in our corporate headquarters which is 750 miles from here. But he has stepchilden and the courts won't let him and his wife take the kids out of state, away from there father.

I just crossed my fingers and knocked on some wood for ya, buddy. Hope it all works out.

thanks. but in the corporate world the only people that win are the stockholders, if the company does well.

I am just another number and my stress, sweat and frustration is making somebody else rich.

I do all the labor and the executives get the bonuses and expense accounts.

bluechocolate

fredroling

I'll tell you something I found very helpful when dealing with difficult people at work. A few years ago now I took a one day course about personality types in the office ( you could get the same stuff by reading a book ). According to this course there are 4 main personality types at work and part of the course teaches what the best ways are to respond to someone based on their personality type ( obviously you need to find that out first, but that was quite easy ).

I'm usually cynical about this kind of mumbo-jumbo, but after the course I decided to use what I'd learnt. And surprise, surprise it really did work. There was this one woman in the office who was very bossy, aggressive and moody ( and part of senior management ). Everybody hated dealing with her. When I had to do some work for her I applied the stuff I learnt about her personality type and her attitude towards me changed almost overnight. From that moment on she would come to me for help or assistance before going to others.

Your boss sounds like an agressive type and ironically they're usually the quickest to respond to this kind of interaction. It's the quite ones you gotta watch!!

Best of luck to you.

Instead of kicking up such a big fuss and involving third parties at your workplace in this childish nonsense, you could have sorted this out with the person and/or ended up finishing the task yourself and gotten credit for a job well done. It's clearly within your capabilities, and I suspect you have a lot of free time on your hands if you can bitch to IT and then on LS. I am upper management and see you people come in at 9:05 and leave at 4:55 every day, spending most of the day in petty catfights. You never take the initiative and want to do as minimal work as possible. Perhaps if you put in the extra effort and tried to work as a team you would feel more rewarded in your job. Is it so terrible that responsibility was thrust upon you? Would it have killed you to put in an extra hour to get the job done, regardless of whether your initial instructions were wrong? We all have to take crap at work and while you don't have to be a walkover, you would be surprised at how far a little hard work will take you.

reasontosigh
Originally posted by TheBoss

I am upper management.......

Well, looks like we've all just learned that a corporate hierarchy does indeed exist within the realm of trolls ater all.

>>>Sounds to me like you are just another lazy secretary Post: 17 | Quote: <<<

Re-read the original post, you cocky dumb@ss.

She wasn't complaining about being over-worked, she was complaining about the lack of communication and clarification with respect to her assigned responsibilities.

I see arrogant @ssholes like you all the time, with your title and utter lack of competence. You feel the need to belittle anyone who works for you because it somehow gives you a perverse sense of self-esteem. I see people like you consistently assigning blame for your failure to communicate with precision and your inability to lead. I see people like you shagging said secretaries and failing to give them raises when they don't take you up on your offer.

Oh, what's that? You don't like broad generalizations???

Thought so. Next time, be more sensitive before getting a bad case of cognitive diarrhea.

Originally posted by TheBoss

I am upper management and see you people come in at 9:05 and leave at 4:55 every day, spending most of the day in petty catfights. You never take the initiative and want to do as minimal work as possible. Perhaps if you put in the extra effort and tried to work as a team you would feel more rewarded in your job. Is it so terrible that responsibility was thrust upon you? Would it have killed you to put in an extra hour to get the job done, regardless of whether your initial instructions were wrong? We all have to take crap at work and while you don't have to be a walkover, you would be surprised at how far a little hard work will take you.

Well I see "upper management" coming and going when they please, expensing 2 hour lunches, and taking afternoons off on nice days. If you slack off why can't I?

I have found that taking the inititive and showing I can handle extra work only gets me one thing; more work and tasks. When it comes time for lay offs my past performance won't matter; when they restructure the departments and my job is eliminated what good was my performance and extra effort?

You want us to work harder to make you look better. You want to find responsible people to take the stress off your back.

As long as the CEO and CFO and anyone else above you is happy you don't give a s*hit about anyone's feelings, why should we do anything extra for you?

I tend to agree with TheBoss as well as fredrolin. There are more effective ways to handle the problem. So the secretary is doing it herself, huh. Fuming all the while and explaining that if it weren't for a lazy & petty assistant the work would be done on time. That's only going to make the working relationship more stressful and make you look bad.

It can be a curse to be the one everyone comes to to get things done. I'm a big fan of teamwork & initiative... if only there were a few more of us here....

"I survived the lay-offs! Shoot me now!"

I'm apparently a little too good at taking one for the team because it's becoming apparent that I'm being tag-teamed up the @ss - and I don't even let my boyfriend go there. Mr. President isn't going to get it, apparently. He wants more ideas so that he can say, "we'll see" some more. What will it take to keep me happy here? Run the f*cking company, @sshole (somewhere other than the ground). It makes sense to give work to the people who will do it right & let the ones with extra time create jobs for functions they hardly seem to understand. "okay, I'll take care of it" - elsewhere.