Work Friend has a girlfriend...

Hi everyone.

I need to talk something out and if you have an opinion or advice I’d appreciate it. There’s this guy at work who over the last couple of years, I’ve become really great friends with. A lot of my other co workers tell me, that him and I should date. But I’ve talked to him about it a few years ago, and we both agreed dating in a work environment is NEVER a good thing. Not that dating him hasn’t crossed my mind since then, he’s really nice guy, funny, and someone who I really trust. But I gotta stick to my rule. He’s the one person at work who I can fully trust with my gossip, or venting about work or another co-worker, or issues with my family life or just life in general. The one topic we NEVER discuss though is our love life’s. However… recently, by accident, I just met his new girlfriend. And wow, umm. It made me feel really emotional. I feel hurt, confused, and a little jealous honestly. I guess it makes sense in a way, because I haven’t had much luck dating over the last couple of years and he’s kinda filled my mental needs by not having a partner. And realizing that, part of my brain is telling me if he makes you happy, why aren’t you with him. But maybe that’s just me being jealous. And again… dating in a work environment is never a good thing. Maybe I just need to get over it. Ugh... I honestly don’t know what to do, and there’s a battle going on my head and it’s driving me nuts! Blah, I don’t know if talking this out helped or made it worse. Lol. I guess if you have any advice, I’d appreciate it. Thanks. :confused:

This is a classic Jim and Pam scenario from the show The Office.

This is also why I am a HUGE detractor of male/female work friendships. Being kind acquaintances is fine...actually encouraged. A tip of the cap, a friendly hello, some mindless chit chat about how a significant other is sick or a new baby is on the way, or how was the Holiday is fine.

But getting "close" to someone of the opposite sex is DANGEROUS if you don't want it leading to romance.

• Like 1