Workplace conflict and some project issues

Alright my manager made me aware of a couple work related issues and I was wondering what people's opinions would be on them:

Situation 1

I'm doing business process improvement and I'm working under a different division than my current division. During my first visit to the new division (only 10-12ish people work for this part of the company) I said something like "Aren't you excited to have us helping you get process improvement and daily management working in this part of the company" to the manager. The manager apparently has taken offence to this comment. I believe I noticed it at the time but anyhow. At any rate, my manager has now brought this up to me twice, saying John is mad at me, and has offered me (relatively) unhelpful advice on how to deal with the situation. Anyone have advice on what to say if it is brough up again?

From my point of view I think he's mad about one careless comment. I believe if I keep trucking like everything is normal I will be fine (and my manager continually mentioning the issue is making it worse). If it becomes obvious john doesn't want to work with me because of the comment, I would then bring it up with him and apologize for the remark.

Situation 2

I was also told I was missing my deadlines lately and my project has stalled because I didn't do my work. I was also told that I "don't do as I'm told". I was essentially working on a project, and as part of the project I setup something that will be necessary once the project is completed to measure its success. I got in "****" essentially for setting this up as I was not told to do this (it will be useful down the line, and is useful now though).

I explained that I discovered that the data I had analyzed had a significant amount of systematic errors. I then did some investigating and managed to figure out what the error was and corrected it so that now we have good data and reliable analysis. I also explained that the project was stalled because two of the bosses (we could call them leaders) made two decisions: (1) We weren't doing anything until January (2) We weren't putting this into place until March when another system will be installed.

I plan on figuring out what actually has to be stalled in the project and what we can go ahead with and then change later once the other system is in place.

I am essentially (one of) the project managers in the project, and I tend to be taking on a lot of the work involved with it. There are other parties as part of the team and they do things that I cannot (I have no seniority or rank, so if I want to make someone do something I can go through them, and because they are in charge they take my analysis and do things because it makes sense to).

Anyhow, thoughts? Also looking back on this I think my job is kinda cool. Sweet!