How do employers view willingness to work interview around work schedule?

I've been curious how employers view an applicants willingness to work around their work schedule to get to a set interview time. Does it look flaky or irresponsible if they know your working hours, but you try your best to get to the interview that interferes with your current job's working hours? My boss doesn't have an issue with allowing me to come into work later as we don't get paid for it. I've usually been asking potential employers if I could have the interview around the working hours of 9am-3pm of my current position. Does this look respectable to honor your current employment or is it viewed as inflexible to them?

GorillaTheater
I've been curious how employers view an applicants willingness to work around their work schedule to get to a set interview time. Does it look flaky or irresponsible if they know your working hours, but you try your best to get to the interview that interferes with your current job's working hours? My boss doesn't have an issue with allowing me to come into work later as we don't get paid for it. I've usually been asking potential employers if I could have the interview around the working hours of 9am-3pm of my current position. Does this look respectable to honor your current employment or is it viewed as inflexible to them?

I do some hiring, and just got through with filling a position. One of the applicants couldn't take off from work at all, so I agreed to interview her during the lunch hour. It was no big deal to me, and I appreciated her efforts to inconvenience her employer as little as possible. If she treats her current employer like that, I could reasonably expect that she'd be likewise respectful and considerate of our office had we hired her. It was a plus in my book.

• Like 3
  • Author

Thanks for your advice. This definitely sounds reasonable. I had a co-worker who did the same thing before finding another job. I suppose saying you will try and get some time off to make the interview would sound fine IF there is no way they can give you an interview around your working hours, lunch or even by phone. I think most employers are pretty flexible though as you were saying.

I don't think it looks inflexible. They haven't offered you a job yet. So it makes sense that you are going to protect what you have. If they want you, they will work with you (within reason). I also agree with GorillaTheater that the way you treat your employer during the interview process, speaks to how you would treat them should they hire you. I always make sure to tell my employer I need to give my current job a two weeks notice. They respect things like that b/c they would also like the same treatment if the roles were reversed :)

This thread title is why I never understood the statement below

"It's easier to get a job when you already have one"

UM, I don't think so

• Author

UM, I don't think so

I think it has different meaning than the one you are thinking of.

I agree, it's hard to find a second job or a job period when you have to work around interview times. However, it also means employers prefer to see minimal unemployment history or gaps between employment. It is a catch 22 though in some ways (for example, how can you minimize unemployment gaps or length if you're having a hard time finding a job in this economy?), but I think most employers will find a way to interview you if they are really interested.

Edited by pink_sugar
I think it has different meaning than the one you are thinking of.

I agree, it's hard to find a second job or a job period when you have to work around interview times. However, it also means employers prefer to see minimal unemployment history or gaps between employment. It is a catch 22 though in some ways (for example, how can you minimize unemployment gaps or length if you're having a hard time finding a job in this economy?), but I think most employers will find a way to interview you if they are really interested.

They will because I still get called for interviews and been unemployed for a year

UM, I don't think so

I think this mainly means that if you are currently employed, you can operate from a position of power. If you already have a job, you don't feel the pressure to just take any job available or package offered out of desperation. You can be more selective and seek employment package that provides more pay, benefits, etc. Or if the pay is equal, you can seek a job that has a kinder boss or that you would enjoy more.

But I do agree, looking for a job can be a full-time job within itself. So there is added stress. Still I think it is better to have a job and looking for a new one, than to be without a job and looking for anything you can get.

• Author
They will because I still get called for interviews and been unemployed for a year

This doesn't really mean anything. Employers can essentially call in all the applicants who have the skills and/or education for the job, but it doesn't mean you will get past the interview. Sometimes employers barely skim your resume before calling you. Bottom line is that they won't know why you have been unemployed until they talk to you and the reason can matter to them a lot.

I think this mainly means that if you are currently employed, you can operate from a position of power. If you already have a job, you don't feel the pressure to just take any job available or package offered out of desperation. You can be more selective and seek employment package that provides more pay, benefits, etc. Or if the pay is equal, you can seek a job that has a kinder boss or that you would enjoy more.

But I do agree, looking for a job can be a full-time job within itself. So there is added stress. Still I think it is better to have a job and looking for a new one, than to be without a job and looking for anything you can get.

Definitely agree. I'm actually not as nervous as I was when I was applying to jobs without a job, because no matter what happens, I still have a job at the end of the day after that interview and I don't have to explain why I was unemployed if I wasn't currently working. I usually tell prospective employers that I am looking for a full time opportunity as I am only part time right now. PhillyDude, I'm not sure about you, but I've actually had employers ask me how many interviews I've had prior to that one and what was the status and why do I think I may or may have not heard back.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1
Definitely agree. I'm actually not as nervous as I was when I was applying to jobs without a job, because no matter what happens, I still have a job at the end of the day after that interview and I don't have to explain why I was unemployed if I wasn't currently working. I usually tell prospective employers that I am looking for a full time opportunity as I am only part time right now.

That's a good way to respond! All the best in your search!!:bunny:

• Like 1
That's very nice but a call to attend an interview isn't a job offer.

I always respect the time limitations or restrictions of prospective employees/applicants when they're already employed. Agree with previous posters that the consideration they show their current employers in scheduling interviews around lunch breaks or after the working day is a good sign. I don't have any problem scheduling interviews outside normal working hours and all of the employers I know don't either.

I get calls to interviews like I said and it means unemployed people get called

THE END