I am a chicken!

aussieplanner

I need to give notice to resign my position at my company, however I cannot get the courage to do it! I am a town planner and I finished my studies at the end of last year then moved across the country (for my boyfriends job) and I was lucky enough to quickly get this job. The boss who taught me (there are 3 company directors), left about 6 months ago and now with my one year of experience am the most qualified planner there (we do more than planning).

We are so quiet, all I do is simple subdivision applications - nothing exciting and it is so boring. There is no urgency in my work, so I could put a report/letter off for hours or days and it would not even matter. I feel like I am vulerable in regards to my learning development as I only graduated a year ago and my learning seems to have slowed.

Recently, a planner from the local council encouraged me to apply for a 12 month contract - higher ranking, more diversity in work as will be doing development and policy (not just land), and about $10 more an hour. I was offered the position Tuesday afternoon and have accepted the position.

I was so excited because I am miserable in my current job but now I am so filled with terror about quitting. It is past 4pm and I promised myself I would do it today and I have completely chickened out. My boss can be very grumpy and has made nasty comments before and I am scared he will flip. He always talks about my future here and about building up the planning side of the company but I don't think I am in a position to do that as I feel I am not ready for such a big responsibility - there is still so much for me to learn. I can't just go talk to him about it in his office because there is no privacy due to no doors and office layout. So I have to ask him if we can have a minute to talk about something serious in the meeting room. I even practiced asking him to talk and what I would say when I resign and have written my resignation letter. I have even lined up a replacement for my position as I know they have had so much trouble holding on to their planners in the past (another reason I feel bad about leaving) so I have a resume to give him too.

This is good news for me that I have a great new job and am progressing in my career but I do not have the courage to tell my boss his "bad news".

HELP??

• Like 1

"Dear <fill name here>

I would hereby like to advise you that as of the above date, I am giving notice and intend to terminate my employment here.

My experience at <company> has been informative, educational, enjoyable and extremely productive, but I feel I would like to advance my career and have reluctantly decided to move in a different direction.

May I take this occasion to thank you for the opportunity of working with you, and my colleagues.

It has been a most enjoyable and fruitful experience.

Yours sincerely/faithfully <as appropriate>

<Your signature>

<your name>"

Copy, paste, print, sign, put in an envelope, mark recipient's name, and "By Hand" and give it to recipient on morning of the day you give notice.

Sorted.

• Like 2
I need to give notice to resign my position at my company, however I cannot get the courage to do it! I am a town planner and I finished my studies at the end of last year then moved across the country (for my boyfriends job) and I was lucky enough to quickly get this job. The boss who taught me (there are 3 company directors), left about 6 months ago and now with my one year of experience am the most qualified planner there (we do more than planning).

We are so quiet, all I do is simple subdivision applications - nothing exciting and it is so boring. There is no urgency in my work, so I could put a report/letter off for hours or days and it would not even matter. I feel like I am vulerable in regards to my learning development as I only graduated a year ago and my learning seems to have slowed.

Recently, a planner from the local council encouraged me to apply for a 12 month contract - higher ranking, more diversity in work as will be doing development and policy (not just land), and about $10 more an hour. I was offered the position Tuesday afternoon and have accepted the position.

I was so excited because I am miserable in my current job but now I am so filled with terror about quitting. It is past 4pm and I promised myself I would do it today and I have completely chickened out. My boss can be very grumpy and has made nasty comments before and I am scared he will flip. He always talks about my future here and about building up the planning side of the company but I don't think I am in a position to do that as I feel I am not ready for such a big responsibility - there is still so much for me to learn. I can't just go talk to him about it in his office because there is no privacy due to no doors and office layout. So I have to ask him if we can have a minute to talk about something serious in the meeting room. I even practiced asking him to talk and what I would say when I resign and have written my resignation letter. I have even lined up a replacement for my position as I know they have had so much trouble holding on to their planners in the past (another reason I feel bad about leaving) so I have a resume to give him too.

This is good news for me that I have a great new job and am progressing in my career but I do not have the courage to tell my boss his "bad news".

HELP??

I agree with TaraMaiden...although I also think facing your fears will help your growth.

I was recently offered two jobs. One place was really excited to get me. But I got a bad vibe from him in the interview (I've learned to trust that). When I got the other offer, I called to tell him I was declining. Prior to the call, I was encouraged to just send him an e-mail by an advisor. But I felt that, as a professional, I needed to tell him verbally. Face the fear. Also, when you tell them face to face, I feel like it makes you look better. One thing I have learned is that it's good to not burn bridges.

The way I look at it, you are a worthwhile asset to any company. If a boss does not recognize that, and does not provide you with opportunities to grow, they should respect you will find that elsewhere. It is a bit scary to face a boss to tell them. But if they respect you for what you offered, and personally want you to grow as a person and a professional (a good boss will), they will very much understand your decision and most importantly respect it. Also your justifications are really solid; you even found a replacement. That is above and beyond. If he won't respect that, then you know you've tried your best. That's all you can do. Be true to yourself, so you can sleep at night. What he decides to do with your decision is his business. :)

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Good to have your letter of resignation, but I would push for a personal conversation/resignation along with it. I always think an employer is owed all decency. I used to give at least two weeks notice, and sometimes more.

I would think it would be much cushioned with the fact you are offering a replacement and that you would train.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
aussieplanner

Thank guys for your advice and encouragement. I took your advice and took a personal approach.

I went up to his office and told him when he had a minute I need to talk to him. An hour later, we met in the conference room.. my legs were jelly, heart beating through my stomach and shaking. But manage to get the words out... it was so hard! I stayed super positive, told him the reason for leaving was to build on my skills and learning and offered him all the help I could. And he was not mad - he was really good! He told me he understood and that he appreciated my nice comments and that I put my 'feelers out' to help him fill the position. So overall, not as terrible as I thought!

That was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done but now I can let out a MASSIVE sigh of relief and look forward to my new job :D

• Like 4
Thank guys for your advice and encouragement. I took your advice and took a personal approach.

I went up to his office and told him when he had a minute I need to talk to him. An hour later, we met in the conference room.. my legs were jelly, heart beating through my stomach and shaking. But manage to get the words out... it was so hard! I stayed super positive, told him the reason for leaving was to build on my skills and learning and offered him all the help I could. And he was not mad - he was really good! He told me he understood and that he appreciated my nice comments and that I put my 'feelers out' to help him fill the position. So overall, not as terrible as I thought!

That was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done but now I can let out a MASSIVE sigh of relief and look forward to my new job :D

Great job! I know that was hard, but you did the right thing :) The other good thing about doing that (meant to say earlier) is that you can also use him as a future reference on your resume. You ended the work relationship in a classy way and now you can reap the benefits of that in the future.

I also meant to say that I have a personal belief that your work carries with you. For example, a job a few years ago I was working on a big project when I put my two weeks in. Even my boss said "why do you care?". But I think it goes with you, so I did my very best and worked as hard as possible on that project before walking out the door for the last time :) That would be my last advice. Go out with a bang. Don't slack your last few weeks. Work extra hard to leave a good, lasting impression. And congrats again!

• Like 3
UpwardForward

Another thought would be to make your own binder/job description for future applicant-replacement, if there isn't already one set into place.

• Like 1