Just Need A Few Opinions!

soccorsilly

I am partners in a retail travel agency. While the industry is challenging for sure, I think there is still potential--but my glasses may be rose colored.

I have a real simple question..do you all feel that the internet will replace a traditional travel agent for travel purchases in the future? And how long down the road?

Thanks for you help!

Well, yes and no.

Yes because it's easier, and no because some people are traditional and would rather deal with a real live person than a computer.

I myself am looking online for a roundtrip ticket from LA to Tampa or Orlando in July, doesn't seem too tough.

HokeyReligions

On an individual basis - yes I think more people will use the Internet. On a business level, I think more businesses are outsourcing their travel personnel and contracting with outside agencies. Small businesses may use the internet, but larger companies use agencies simply because of all the problems inherent in business travel (people change their mind at the last minute and need to reschedule or cancel, they want confirmation from a person and a person's name--they don't always trust the email confirmation notification, they want someone to contact who can answer the kinds of questions not found on FAQ sections of Internet travel bureaus.)

Better marketing strategy and a broader range of clients may help to increase the business. I think maybe 15 - 20 years down the road the percentage will shift to Internet use. That is just my guess - I have no facts or figures to back me up.

Look at some of the business journals for predictions and trends in the industry. Call and talk to some business professionals, including your local chamber of commerce and small business association.

All I can say is that you are very smart for thinking about things like that. What jobs will be lost due to technology? Its a good question. You sound like you really have your head on straight

I'm kind of with kevin on this one. My opinon is yes and no.

Yes people are becoming more computer literate and money conscience if you look hard enough you can find some real deals.

No some of the older generation are not computer literate and some people just couldn't be bothered spending hours on the computer tring to find deals for flight, accomodations, car rentals, tours, etc. when a travel agent can put together a package deal together in minutes, they are train to know where the deals and best travel places are. Customer service is much better then with a computer.

I imagine that travel just like every thing else has it's trends. This year Cuba is the hot destination next year it's Caribean Cruises. Tourist agents know these things.

Congratulations on your new partenership, have fun, there will be pros and cons just like any business. I think that it will be quite a few years b4 travcel agentcies become obsolete.

I don't think the internet will replace the traditional travel agent. People still want to go in and talk to somebody about their trip. There has to be a personal relationship between a traveler and travel agent, because they can ask questions about the trip that they couldn't on the internet. You can have a conversation with the travel agent about the trip instead of just viewing a lot of information about it. If the travel agent has been to the place, they have experience of what it's like and can give information that the customer wants. People like that when they can talk to somebody instead of just relying on a web-site to provide the necessary information.

I work for a very big company and we used to use two agencies for business travel but within the last year or so started booking more flights online. So I definitely see business travel drying up for agencies. I think for you to stay successful you'll probably have to specialize somehow, find your niche markets.

Wolvesbaned

I have a real simple question..do you all feel that the internet will replace a traditional travel agent for travel purchases in the future? And how long down the road?

I'm in marketing and the most current research shows the internet as a support to a real (brick-and-mortar) businesses. The internet is a convenient tool to buy tickets and more and more people are using them, but most consumers that buy their tickets are looking for a deal. There's an increasing amount of people that's fully aware of the time it takes to actually book and compare airline tickets online --and they're either sick of it or plain just don't have the time.

I suggest you should eventually focus on the high end consumer. Or to the elderly as they are the least internet friendly and prefer real personal interaction. I do not think the internet will replace all traditional travel agencies, but most of them. To succeed you would have to position your company differently, you must offer something different and cost isn't one of them unless you can throw something else in.

Good luck to you!

Sorry to tell you this but I think the anser is yes. I think in about five years. Dont worry where one door closes the other opens..........Good Luck