How to deal with the d*** heads amongst us

I'm f****** fuming.

I work in a kitchen and one of the junior chefs is a first class a*** hole. We both went to the local supermarket today to get some stuff for a childrens party, and on the way i asked him if he had his phone with him because i wanted to tell the other chef back in the kitchen that was making the sunday dinners that i forgot to put one major ingriedient in a mix that i prepared earlier and he was going to use. This junior chef said he didn't have his phone with him. Anyway, we got back and the head chef said he needed something else form the shop and would junior go back. Junior said 'why didn't you phone me' (to the head chef) i could have picked it up then...' picked his phone up from his pocket and put it on the shelf

I heard and saw this but said nothing. luckily the head chef had not used the mix yet, but what's with the lies?

He's a lot younger than me and a quiet guy, hardly speaks to me but talks to the others ok. but i haven't done anything to him that i am aware of I'm not nasty or even bossy. If anything I give make it easy and fun loving everytime for each and everyone there. But i feel like not making it easy for him anymore.

I've racked my brains at what the problem is between us, and he can't be jealous of me coz i'm no Gordon Ramsey or anything

What can it be? I hate it when people do this it's mean spirited and makes life hard and it's hard enough as it is:mad:

Yeah but why didnt you have your phone on you? You shouldnt make yourself vunerable enough to depend on people for anything. If you arent going to ask him straight up why he wouldnt let you use his phone, then you have to make sure you dont have to ask anyone for anything. And not everyone has to like you. Dont worry about what his problem is.

Yeah but why didnt you have your phone on you? You shouldnt make yourself vunerable enough to depend on people for anything.

It happens though. Phones die or get left behind. To be lied to like that is a slap in the face. He was just saying, "sorry, but you aren't good enough to touch my phone."

My response would be to let go of the emotions and just dissassociate myself from that person. Just be strictly professional when reqguired, but otherwise forget they exist.

• Like 2
  • Author

He was just saying, "sorry, but you aren't good enough to touch my phone."

Thats exactly how it felt. Thats why i didn't say anything. yes I did leave my phone behind( i appologize for not mentioning that in my previous post) but ever since i started there he has been quick avoid all conversation with me but not others. Granted i am not in his age group for friendly chat and conversations and such, I can understand that. Maybe it's just me, expecting everyone should be just as friendly, but i don't dig looking down the nose. I have to learn to dissociate from those who do just that. Thanks

@Eddie, thanks for the wisdom. Confrontations have never been my strong point, that one i will have to master if i am going to have to work with this kind of mentality.

browniecalgary

that one i will have to master if i am going to have to work with this kind of mentality.

@ Volentia: This might happen to anyone actually. I am friendly by nature and when I started at a new work place was knowing people with whom I work. A particular girl who smiled at me everytime we passedby, waived at me from far would not talk to me face to face for more than few minutes. Everytime we spoke she kept telling me she is busy and has work to do.

Even funnier, when I started to limit my talk with her (she is busy so why to disturb her) and used to chat with her neighbours, she would interject herself in our conversations:laugh:. I take it that some people really do not know to handle situations.

Brush it away and move on.

• Like 2

Some people just are not very nice.

You sound more like me: I am extremely friendly to everyone until they give me a reason no to be!

People like him I just ignore and only talk to when it comes to professional settlings.

Do not lose sleep over it; he is not a very nice person. If he was, he would not have lied to you about his phone, and he would not ignore you when he talks to others.

You know; even if you do not like someones personality, a truly NICe person will still try to get along with them on a professional level. They won't ask you to go for drinks with them or talk to you that often, but they will still smile and make efforts to be pleasant!

Nope. This man is simply not that nice of a person. I do not believe that truly lovely people act the way he has done......

• Like 1

He told you that you were not good enough to use his phone

Therefore, HE is not good enough for you to give two sh*ts about!

Come on now, he is not good enough for you now, either! He is not good enough for anything besides essential interaction!

Simply view HIM as not good enough for YOU to bother with, also!

• Like 1

Do you outrank this chef in seniority?

If so--it's possible he harbors a desire to see you screw up, so he can outshine you.

So instead of considering the greater good--which means making sure ALL food exiting the kitchen is top-notch, (which keeps the customers coming back)(and in the long run, keeps everyone employed)

He was willing to let something get potentially messed up (the missing ingredient), so you would end up looking bad.

In a nutshell--he wasn't acting like a team player.

That was very petty on his part.