Disruptive asking of donation at work?

So one lady at work is trying to get people to donate to some organization. This time of the year, we see that a lot. Usually people will just email stuff, or leave some literature in the lunch room, etc. This lady went from cube to cube, asking people. Then she said, oh no pressure, but one of your team members donated $100.

I have a problem with this because:

1) This is a work place. What if everyone started doing this? Someone's daughter is selling girl scout cookies. Someone's son is selling candy bars for the sports program at school. So everyone start going from cube to cube?

2) She is asking for donation when everyone can hear the conversation. No pressure? BS. I know exactly what all the people in my vicinity are donating. That's not "no pressure". I don't like it when people asking for donations use pressure tactics.

So I can take care of it two ways. First of all, when people ask me for donation, I ask them for donation right back. Because I happen to have a non profit organization that I donate to on a regular basis.

So I can do:

1) Direct. Tell her exactly what I said here, but nicer. Then I'll add, I'm donating to your organization, I'd like you to return the favor and donate to this as well.

2) Indirect. When she comes by my cube next week to collect the money, I'll ask her to donate right in my cube, so everyone can hear her answer, to give her a taste of her own medicine.

I don't really want to start any troubles. If I really wanted to escalate I could just talk to HR directly. I just want her to be more considerate and discreet when asking for donations. So maybe 1) is too strong? But 2) maybe she won't get it.

Thoughts?

either, be clear so direct is better tbh, or tell her you make private donations elsewhere - my first thought was - is she licenced or officially appointed to collect money like this? charity work/can-rattling is quite supervised by a third party (been a can-rattler) i thought she could just keep a lot of the money and hand the charity only some of it - i'd leave her alone

Edited by darkmoon
  • Author
either, be clear so direct is better tbh, or tell her you make private donations elsewhere - my first thought was - is she licenced or officially appointed to collect money like this? can rattling is quite supervised (been a can-rattler) i thought she could just keep a lot of the money and hand the charity only some of it

Nope, it's her thing. And because I didn't even pay attention to what charity she's trying to get money for, it's entirely possible that she could just keep the money herself.

But I believe this is legit, based on what I know of her professionally, I can't see her as the type to embezzle money. I believe her fault is only being overzealous and not discreet.

I have a problem with this because:

1) This is a work place. What if everyone started doing this? Someone's daughter is selling girl scout cookies. Someone's son is selling candy bars for the sports program at school. So everyone start going from cube to cube?

Are you a boss, manager or a supervisor? Or just an employee and she is a collegue? If you are of any of the three, then you do can do something about this. If not, I wouldn't get involved. It's charity and raising money for a good cause.

Donate to her and say with a smile, "when it's my turn, you're the first person I'm gonna hit up for a donation!" Wink and walk away with a smile still on your face.

Or, you can talk to your boss and let him/her know that you find its' too much and distracting at work.

I'd just smile and say "sorry, my own charity takes precedence but thanks for asking". This way, you've set her up for the my charity, your charity donate NOW, if she tries to guilt you into it. ;)

I have to deal with people selling things for their kids' schools. If they are selling things I want, I will buy but I won't buy just to make them happy.

Donate to her and say with a smile, "when it's my turn, you're the first person I'm gonna hit up for a donation!" Wink and walk away with a smile still on your face.

I really like this idea, with a slight twist. If you have a charity in which you're active, promise to match anything she donates to yours, with a donation to hers.

Doesn't that get you almost exactly where you want to go?

Thoughts?

If someone is marketing the captive workforce of the boss on company time, that's something the boss should know about. I certainly would want to, as owner. We're there to work, not plug charities.