How do you all address the topic of compensation when it comes to looking for another job? I've heard it looks bad to ask the pay rate in an interview, but I had gotten an email response for an interview from a non profit saying their salary is pretty low. I honestly cannot afford to make less than I do now... Which is the purpose of my job hunting. If unemployed, I don't think it's as important, but definitely important when moving to another job. My brother took a job before realizing it was minimum wage and moved out of state for it.

Edited by pink_sugar

IMO, since they proactively mentioned salary as 'low', I would clearly state what I was willing to accept and leave it at that. If it's acceptable, then the process progresses. If not, next.

• Like 1
  • Author

They responded and said that I would need to discuss that with the director. So I would need to go to the interview to find out what exactly my pay is. I'm surprised they would contact me without having some indication of what the compensation is. Should I go to the interview anyways?

Most non-profits don't pay well. I've had 3yrs of experience with this. Yes, go to the interview & find out the pay rate. Knowing is half the battle ;)

• Like 1