Looking for a new job

It's tedious but it needs to be done. Won't bore you with the reasons.

How do you look for a new job? Do you favour networking/contacts? LinkedIn? Internet boards? More traditional methods?

Do you enjoy it? Do you research companies and court them or do you just apply for jobs that are available? Do you have a successful strategy?

No more questions :) for the moment :cool:

• Like 1

I usually check Craigslist first and foremost and if it looks like a good opportunity, I apply. Unless I hear a response, I don't research every company I apply to, because you may send out several resumes before you even hear anything back. By the time I'm scheduled for my first interview, I'll do some thorough research on the company at that point. I like applying...when I already have a job. If I'm not in a rush to find a job because I'm unemployed or because I've been unemployed for awhile, it's not nearly as stressful.

• Author

Unless I hear a response, I don't research every company I apply to,

I meant, do you ever apply to a company because you want to work for them specifically speculating that they might have a job for you even if they aren't advertising?

I know a lot of people do, especially in sales. They tend to be good at networking. To me it's always about the job, not so much the company (though obviously better companies usually offer better quality/more interesting jobs)

Hmm, I haven't so far. At least, not in this industry. I have often thought about working for google or facebook, but I haven't applied to any of those companies of interest. This brings up a good point though, I'll have to do some looking around when I get my bachelors degree to see if there are open positions in those companies.

• Like 1

monster.com is a good one.

I would look to networking contacts that aren't in your company right now but only a few you don't want your company finding out and getting in trouble for it.

Friends, relatives.

Just not craigslist. Don't trust that website for jobs. Good for selling old video games, not for getting a stable job.

• Author

None of you ever contact companies you want to work for? Or build some kind of a relationship with companies you would potentially want to work for in the future?