Being in business with someone you are dating?

I"ve always preached against having an affair with someone you work with but what about going into business with someone you are dating? I have lots of great ideas for my friend's business but because we dated in the past, I wonder if that would complicate things if we got involved again.

Susan Sarandon, in this article, says working with someone is a great way to get to know them. Her current boyfriend (and rumored fiance) is no exception.

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

I'm hesitant but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't do it again. I'd have to find out how I feel at the time if I ever came to one of these decision points again.

FitChick, you have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself and/or go with your intuition.

I think that mixing business with pleasure always complicates things. In your case, a business together, sounds awesome. But when money is involved, even on a friendship level, things can get sticky. Not with everyone however.

If it's a good venture though, I'd consider it, but I'd probably keep the relationship platonic.

My BF and I started a business together and made a ton of money (before the economy tanked).

When the relationship began to have problems, we stayed together longer than we should have because of the business.

Like January, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'll never do it again and would advise against it.

BTDT, too.

Never again.

We started working together, and the romance happened within a few months.

We dated 6 months, before it imploded---but we'd already invested, so we were stuck working together for at least a few months. After a few weeks, we had a comfortable rhythm, after the initial awkwardness, so we decided to maintain the business partnership , as it was mutually beneficial, & we each knew we could trust the other with cash.

So , I maintained a friendship/business partnership with this guy for the next couple of years--not realizing how much it was hurting my chances of meeting someone new.

My love life, and my business improved immensely, when I cut him loose.

You got a lot of interesting responses. But I have a question for you - do you think you guys WILL get back together? If so, I would advise against going into business together - you may be thinking it is a good idea because of the attraction. But if you are over it and not still attracted, then it could be a plus that you once dated, because that will not be a factor anymore and you already know each other intimately. Who knows? There are a lot of other factors to consider - how do you get along, why did the relationship end, is there still trust & respect between you? Sit with yourself and really consider all the angles and be honest, then you will find your answer, hopefully.

i'd be looking at getting even just a simple one page contract drawn up ppl rob each other, seen two different women beaten up by male business partners (they wouldn't do this to a guy obviously) to make them run off from the business penniless - protect yourself ffs, you are a business woman now

in fact why do you need this business partner at all? wil he make you richer? has he a special contact/s or skill? suppose he gets a girlfriend who tells him to tell you to shove off or else?

i see a minefield unprotected, at least both sign a one page partnership agreement, itemise profits

Edited by darkmoon