Work hard yet get screwed over

My boss has given full time to his favourites and they are new people. Yet the rest of us who have been there a lot longer- years weren't even chosen. I work hard and rarely talk. These people are constantly talking non stop and are loud mouths.

One co worker asked why we are never chosen despite working hard. My boss gave some complete lies- as always. That her English is bad, even though it isn't at all and she is fluent! And that she doesn't know how to do a certain procedure. Even though these other people have never done the procedure either and this woman has! I think my boss is a liar and was clutching at straws.

I am so sick of working for this company that doesn't reward anyone who actually deserves it. Just the loud mouth people who constantly take time off.

Our last employee was also the newest employee and she happened to get full time. However, they got into an argument and she quit. I work at a small company and I know I'm not going to get a raise, health insurance or promotion. It sounds like you should also be looking for another job. If you feel you're being treated unfair, not getting promotions and raises you feel you deserve, it's time to move on.

• Like 2

I definitely agree that it is time to find another job. It always seems to be the idiots who get promoted.

• Like 2
My boss has given full time to his favourites and they are new people. Yet the rest of us who have been there a lot longer- years weren't even chosen. I work hard and rarely talk. These people are constantly talking non stop and are loud mouths.

One co worker asked why we are never chosen despite working hard. My boss gave some complete lies- as always. That her English is bad, even though it isn't at all and she is fluent! And that she doesn't know how to do a certain procedure. Even though these other people have never done the procedure either and this woman has! I think my boss is a liar and was clutching at straws.

I am so sick of working for this company that doesn't reward anyone who actually deserves it. Just the loud mouth people who constantly take time off.

That's how many jobs are sadly.

• Like 3
dthompson0786

Almost all jobs have a manager who picks favorites. The first hotel I worked at people were getting promotions when no one was telling me they were even available! The scheduling also worked to where I had to work every single weekend (which I didn't notice until a housekeeping supervisor told me I did). You can either suck it up, become one of the crowd to get more hours, or find another job. I'm stubborn so I would just find a new job, I hate working with loudmouths anyway lol

• Like 1
  • Author
Almost all jobs have a manager who picks favorites. The first hotel I worked at people were getting promotions when no one was telling me they were even available! The scheduling also worked to where I had to work every single weekend (which I didn't notice until a housekeeping supervisor told me I did). You can either suck it up, become one of the crowd to get more hours, or find another job. I'm stubborn so I would just find a new job, I hate working with loudmouths anyway lol

That is exactly what happened.

The sad fact of the matter is that there are fewer promotions than there are available workers. And management's job is fill the position with the person that he/she feels is the best fit.

I am trying to think of a gentle way to say this..... If you as an employee are always the one that is not promoted, or who is left out of management decisions, or who isn't considered for job perks, then perhaps you are not the best fit for that position. You may regard people as loudmouths, but perhaps gregarious, positive people are what is needed in the position. If you don't talk to other people, then that can be construed as being unsocial or even unfriendly; how much do you interact with co-workers, and is your demeanor cheerful, friendly and upbeat?

I have a Indian friend who is fluent in English, but that doesn't mean that strangers can understand her easily; I know her well, and often I have to ask her to repeat things, especially if she gets excited. I can see where she would not be promoted quickly because of language issues, if speaking with the public or talking often on the telephone is a main component of the job requirements.

Dthompson, if you were working every weekend but didn't notice until someone else pointed it out to you, then that sort of tells the person in charge of scheduling that you don't care if you work every weekend.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Because the last supervisor we had, if you said even one word to someone you would get told off. Now without this nazi supervisor they seem more lax with people. I do get along with people, but it's hard when you don't get put with the popular people. There fore don't get to talk to them.

• Like 1
  • Author

I mean when my co worker asked about why she is never considered my boss completely lied. His excuse was lame and a complete lie. She already knows how to do the procedure, she has done it before. Can you tell me this, than why is there always a full time position for the son/ daughter, daughter in law of whatever supervisor is in charge. Limited positions yet always one for them?!

Edited by Sugarkane
  • Like 1
I mean when my co worker asked about why she is never considered my boss completely lied. His excuse was lame and a complete lie. She already knows how to do the procedure, she has done it before. Can you tell me this, than why is there always a full time position for the son/ daughter, daughter in law of whatever supervisor is in charge. Limited positions yet always one for them?!

Can't say I am surprised unfortunately. :(

In some jobs and workplaces, it is better to be liked (by the decision-makers) than it is to be competent. And some companies don't promote on merit, they promote on "fit."

Echoing those who say it's time to look for a new job. Perhaps it would be wise to ask how people progress through the company at your next interview.

• Like 2
  • Author

Now I know why people become their own bosses. I also find it a joke how someone in charge always sexually harrasses the men. Eg asks them to sleep over and stay at her house. Not in a joking way either. Even though the woman is married. And a lot of sexual stuff I'd probably get banned for putting on here. Yet none of the men complain (even though their married) and she gets away with it because she's a woman. If she was a man she would get sacked for sexual harrassement.

Hi,

I read the first entry and a few others. I have been working for 27 years. All along in my career i have tried to be honest, decent, loyal, honorable, fair etc. But apparently you have to be an ******* to succeed.

I want to add that maybe there is an 800 number you can report stuff anonymously....I know someone who is going through a similar thing. Unfortunately, the cold truth is these ignorant people probably sleep sounder than you and I at night. The economy is certainly not helpful to the cocky and arrogant attitudes. It seems to be an unspoken knowledge to keep your mouth shut or it could mean problems for you. It is a shame then we are in a corner to put up with all the drama and bs.

In some jobs and workplaces, it is better to be liked (by the decision-makers) than it is to be competent. And some companies don't promote on merit, they promote on "fit."

Echoing those who say it's time to look for a new job. Perhaps it would be wise to ask how people progress through the company at your next interview.

I agree with this. Company cultures can vary dramatically from company to company, plus there are subcultures within certain subsets of an organization. Fit is important. Usually, the happiest employees are those whose values and personality match up well with the company culture. Life becomes a bit easier for all involved.

OP should definitely look for another job...and if possible, try to get a sense of the workplace culture (which includes what gets decision-makers' attention for advancement opportunities) before accepting an offer. LinkedIn had a good article on this a few days ago: 11 Ways to Gauge Your Next Employer's Culture | LinkedIn

• Like 3
  • Author

How does that work when the last supervisor was a complete bitch who treated everyone like garbage? The only reason why people put up with it was because they didn't want to be unemployed unfortunately. Everyone absolutely hated her.

• Author

I have been told off for talking in the past. Yet one woman yells from one side of the warehouse to another. Why isn't she told off? I also got told off for something the other day. Yet EVERYONE does it. So why aren't they told off aswell? How can I be "happy and motivated" in this environment? How is that fair? If you're not allowed to talk, then why give full time to new people that do? And when someone asked about why they didn't get full time why did they get nothing but lies?

The sad fact of the matter is that there are fewer promotions than there are available workers. And management's job is fill the position with the person that he/she feels is the best fit.

I am trying to think of a gentle way to say this..... If you as an employee are always the one that is not promoted, or who is left out of management decisions, or who isn't considered for job perks, then perhaps you are not the best fit for that position. You may regard people as loudmouths, but perhaps gregarious, positive people are what is needed in the position. If you don't talk to other people, then that can be construed as being unsocial or even unfriendly; how much do you interact with co-workers, and is your demeanor cheerful, friendly and upbeat?

I have a Indian friend who is fluent in English, but that doesn't mean that strangers can understand her easily; I know her well, and often I have to ask her to repeat things, especially if she gets excited. I can see where she would not be promoted quickly because of language issues, if speaking with the public or talking often on the telephone is a main component of the job requirements.

Dthompson, if you were working every weekend but didn't notice until someone else pointed it out to you, then that sort of tells the person in charge of scheduling that you don't care if you work every weekend.

• Author

We were also lied too that working over time and Saturday's would get us considered. That was also a Huge lie.

• Author

Can someone answer than why put someone in charge who treated everyone like garbage?

I feel you.

I work my arse off,i never call in sick,i always come in on my day off,i haven't had a holiday for 2 years and i ALWAYS DO OVERTIME.

I ask my boss for a holiday..he laughs in my face

Guess who's on holidays??he is.

And to make it worse the idiot in charge for the time he is away is mad at me because ONE NIGHT in forever,everyone else went home (as usual) and instead of staying back like i always do, i went home too. ONE NIGHT.

so he took my daily jobs that i like off of me to get back at me..and isnt talking to me. All because ONe Night i didnt do overtime.

They dont realize how far they are pushing me i think..im that close to walking out and never going back its that bad.

• Like 1
I have been told off for talking in the past. Yet one woman yells from one side of the warehouse to another. Why isn't she told off? I also got told off for something the other day. Yet EVERYONE does it. So why aren't they told off aswell? How can I be "happy and motivated" in this environment? How is that fair? If you're not allowed to talk, then why give full time to new people that do? And when someone asked about why they didn't get full time why did they get nothing but lies?

I had Exactly the same problem with my boss

I dont know why he doesnt like me,im not a nasty person.I actually like him a lot,im attracted to him so it helps.

He singled me out for talking all the time when everyone else does it and he wouldn't say anything to them

One day i stuck up for myself,made it clear i wouldn't take his **** and he backed off ever since...i dont think he has ever told me off again for anything.

they just choose and easy target and i was that until i made myself clear.

• Author
Thank you so mu much for sharing this i am already seen this type of information .. please keep posting

Thanks but maybe I wouldn't if someone actually answered my question, instead if insults I wouldn't have too. If you're such am expert why don't you answer?

Edited by Sugarkane