Cannot Even Get Job As A Cleaner

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am SO FED UP.

I am really upset, because I cannot get a job.

I am planning on indefinately finishing the degree I started next year, either in Feb or second semester in July..

In the meanwhile, I NEED a job for next year, but CANNOT, for the life of me, FIND ANY, not even a CLEANING JOB.

That's right, the bloody cleaning jobs want house keepers with a lot of experience.

Hence why I had to LIE, and get my friend who runs an upper class hotel to be a fake reference, so I can PRETEND I have worked as a cleaner and hosue keeper before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I did not lie about having had cleaning experience before, I would NOT GET AN INTERVIEW for a cleaning job.

It is just RIDICULOUS.

How on EARTH is ANYONE supposed to get off of government benifits and get into paid work, if they no one will hire them for even the most menial jobs, because they lack any experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Furtherore, I have had over ten years experience in the industry as a waitress and in retail, yet cannot get a job.

I have a great personality for the job, as I have been told by ALL my forer employers, friends, and family.

I also LOVE waitressing and retail work, I am an extrovert and love being around people all day long!

SO YEAH; loving my jobs, havin experience, and having a good personality for those menial jobs IS NOT ENOUGH these days to get a job a lot of the time.

............Man, here I am, DYING to work, I want a job SO BAD, and yet no one cares.

It sucks when you desperately WANT TO WORK, but can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have gotte very good feedback regarding my abities and personality, and unless Iam having an off day where I muck up interviews, every one around me confirms I am ideal for these industries which I talk about, including former employers.

skydiveaddict
It sucks when you desperately WANT TO WORK, but can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there; you will find work.

I think I know what your trouble might be. Even just reading your post, it is easy to tell that you are a very enthusiastic, capable person. Some folks might see that as a red flag; fearing you might leave if a better offer comes along, (which, of course you should do).

They know that someone like you will not be content with cleaning houses for life.

Edited by skydiveaddict

I think you should go back to the Subway where you were offered a job. If I understand you correctly, the manager said she'd email some materials to you and you never received them, right? Well you need to be ON THAT. Be in the store talking to her, asking her for the stuff in person. Face to face.

I'm still confused about how you have 10 years work experience. That completely contradicts your usual accounts of your life.

• Like 1

I am ideal for these industries which I talk about, including former employers.

If this is true, you should have no problem getting re-hired by one of your former employers. Right?

• Author
Definitely planning to finish something you haven't started yet, makes absolutely no sense in the world. You seem to be ALL talk. If you were serious about a job, you'd find one. especially if you're speaking about menial positions.

I look for jobs all day every day.

I am serious about finding a job, I want one more than anything!!!!

It angers me that you think that bein serious about wanting a job means you can just GET ONE so easily.

Menial jobs are hard to get these days; to be a cleaner or house keeper, it demands that you need "years of experience" for most jobs.

I applied for over 60 house keeping positions and have not gotten a single interview.

• Author
If this is true, you should have no problem getting re-hired by one of your former employers. Right?

I have not worked really since moving to my new location. I only worked at two cafes briefely, and they laid me off because the wanted to hire younger and cheaper workforce..

So I have no jobs to go back to, and I have had ten years experience i customer service.

Andrew also thinks I should o back to Subway!!!!! But my mother and I think I will look like a stalker, so I am a little worried about coming of too strongly!

I went in once, she offered me a job; she never bothered following it up, but perhaps she did not write down my email correctly!

I have called once since: do you think going in will come off as creepy?

• Author
How 'close by' to your home does a job have to be for you to consider it viable?

Hey Elswyth, I applied for jobs of the sites you gave me, thanks again for that!

And I am happy to travel to Sydney or another main town I will not write down, as it will give my location away! They are both an hour or more from my location.

I am meeting with a gym manager who really likes the sound of me, about becoming a personal trainer at one of the gyms at Sydneys Northern Beaches.

But training is hard, you have to pay rent and be able to enough clients fast enough to cover the rent.

I will be a success at it if I work hard, as I am naturally good and enjoy being around people a lot.

Fingers crosses.

And I will need to re register as a trainer first, but cannot afford it as yet.

Maybe it's time to revamp your resume and work on how you complete applications.

Are you using job seeker sites like monster.com, careerbuilder.com? If not, get on that ASAP.

I have called once since: do you think going in will come off as creepy?

No. You're not trying to date her, you're trying to get a job. Be more assertive. Employers like go-getters.

I wonder if there are things you could be doing better.

Do you actually show up in person to hand in your resume/application? Find out who is in charge of hiring and get their phone number. If you can't hand your application to that person directly, call them later and ask if you can schedule an interview. You need to make yourself stand out from the pile of applications on their desk. Give them a reason to want to call you rather than others. Being a moderate pain in their ass is a reason.

Do you have large employment gaps in your work history? If so, figure out a way to explain them. Maybe your lying friend can say you worked for her during those gaps.

Have you ever been fired? Is there anything that happened with any previous employers who might be giving you a bad reference?

When you correspond with employers or fill out applications, do you use professional language? Do you use proper spelling and grammar? This means no CAPS, ever, unless you're writing an acronym or other accepted uses. And no overuse of punctuation, like !!!!!! or !?!?!.

You're on government assistance, if I understand correctly. Do they have any resources to help you find a job? Have you looked into that?

• Author
It angers me too, your mind is step 8 and you haven't taken step 1. I didn't put you in quotations but i will right now

^ I don't even now what that means.

After applying for 60 jobs, have you considered a revision of your resume? Did you know you should have a few different versions of your resume. I have about 6 or 7, tailored for certain jobs whether it being install/maintenance/operator/analyst/lead or manager.. all of which specifically the skills I have that fit THAT job..

I have a different resume for every type of job I go for.

I apply online mostly, as I cannot travel 3 hours a day just to go around hand in resumes out in the city. Instead, there are SO many jobs online on seek.com or gumtree, among other sites.

I do, of course, dress up nicely and hand my resumes out in person in my general area; I have many more stores and places to cover, I have a lot more face to face resume hand outs to do!

I have been told I have a fine personality for the jobs I go for former employers and friends and family, and also strangers.

I also have enough experience to attain a job; people with less experience get such jobs.

The things that I knowingly fail at (and I am sure there are more things I need to work on) are:

- I sometimes am not in a good head space; for instance, when my flat is in a state or disarray ( I like to be a noral , neat adult) I feel so dirty and just do not act like myself; i feel too clouded with my super messy apartment.

- I do not stand out enough in terms of my speed and exectution when I go for trials; I do not suck, but there are people who can serve food and make an array of drinks at breakneck speed....

SO.... I have to go in, with the ability to just be myself, and not let my personal thoughts get in my way of how I am percieved.

AND, I need to really stand out in the best possible way, and perhaps I could ask why I fail to really stand out next time I fail at a trial.

• Author
No. You're not trying to date her, you're trying to get a job. Be more assertive. Employers like go-getters.

I wonder if there are things you could be doing better.

Do you actually show up in person to hand in your resume/application? Find out who is in charge of hiring and get their phone number. If you can't hand your application to that person directly, call them later and ask if you can schedule an interview. You need to make yourself stand out from the pile of applications on their desk. Give them a reason to want to call you rather than others. Being a moderate pain in their ass is a reason.

Do you have large employment gaps in your work history? If so, figure out a way to explain them. Maybe your lying friend can say you worked for her during those gaps.

Have you ever been fired? Is there anything that happened with any previous employers who might be giving you a bad reference?

When you correspond with employers or fill out applications, do you use professional language? Do you use proper spelling and grammar? This means no CAPS, ever, unless you're writing an acronym or other accepted uses. And no overuse of punctuation, like !!!!!! or !?!?!.

You're on government assistance, if I understand correctly. Do they have any resources to help you find a job? Have you looked into that?

Yes, I most certainly do speak properly; I am not that academic, I am about average intellience eise with talents in some areas ( and weakness in others), but I am more well spoken than most people who go for my type of jobs..... You know, the types that for my jobs do not know the difference between there and their and they're, or to and too, or even hear and here....................................

Not silly people at all, but a lot of people in the menial jobs I go for lack a basic foundation in English grammar. Again, I am nto the best at organising my thoughts a lot of the time, but you know; I can have a conversation with well educated people and not stick out or "reveal" myself to be of a lower socio economic background or of a lower education level.

Thanks for your suggestions, I am having a hard think about what things you and the other posters have listed that I can seriously apply to my predicament..

• Author

GUYS,

My partner and I went to a sandwhich shop, not busy but just a small local place around the corner from there I live, WALKIN distance...

I talked to the store people and asked if the manager was in; she was, so I asked about a job.

I said look, I love working in places like that, I haveplenty of experience in those types of jobs and in similar places to the one we were standing in, that I live locally, and would love a job like this in my area.

She sounded very eager and said to bring in my resume, which I will do tomorrow; she sounded as though she would get me to come in to start work once I did.

Fingers crossed; the manager and the nature and style of store was not the type where they put you under too much scrutiny; if your nice and eager and do not f*ck up, they will pretty much put you on, rather than interview 100's of people and be picky.

Lastly, I also have an appointment with my emlpoyment provider, the person I HAVE to communicate with, who is in affiliation with the government agency that pays for me to live...

Well, my case worker is SUPPOSED to try to get me work :rolleyes::lmao: but has never once lined up an interview for me. I suppose she already has too many people she needs to try to help!

I am going to get her to go through my resume just for good measures, maybe I am overlooking something stupid that is hindering my prospects for employment.

• Like 1
  • Author

I really really want a job SOOOOO much guys.

I start end of this week on a Christmas Casual position; I help kids get their picture take with santa LOL

And no, I do not have to dress up as an elf.. or anything else for that matter, like my partner alluded might be the case.

The job goes until the 24th of DEC.

Obviously, I cannot work full time or even really part time until then. I do not want to let the people down at my current job I am due to start soon.

They do events, and if I do well this time, they am sure to contact me again when they need help with a new endevour.

If I get the job at the sandwhich shop tomorrow, I will explain that I have a month long job that definately finishes on the 24th, but that I really would love to work at her store, and would free myself up on weekends to work there!

The santa helper job people are very friendly and would understand if I had other commitments on weekends, and would be happy to have me on weekdays only.

Man, I SO HOPE I get the Sandwhich shop job, then I will work weekdays as santas helper, AND work weekends and actually save some cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!