Guys. This is very, very important to me. I am about to decide what I want to work towards as a career, and spend years working towards.

I have seriously narrowed it down to two options, I am asking EVERYONE around me in real life and now you guys online, what the BEST path for my future would be.

Option One

- spend next year with a math tutor, and possibly a science tutor.

Studying hard - 5 days a week a few hours of math and science, with weekends off, since it is NOT a degree, but just tutoring.

The following year I will then apply to get into a science driven degree, that is still not too advanced with the math, but has minimal math with hard science.

During this time I will try to get full time work, and work as much as I can whilst I brush up on my math skills.

Option Two

- Study social sciences, which I can do full time and still have free time, and major in welfare or HR, which are alright paid jobs.

Pro's and Con's Of Each Option

The Science Degree, with one whole year of math and science tutoring prior

PROS

- Doing the science degree would obviously get me more money than being a social worker.

- some science based degrees would get me a high paying job ( to me high is starting at 80K )

- After a YEAR of studying math and science 5 days a week, (weekends off!!) with a tutor, I would be able to tackle a science degree without it being utter torture - I would be able to do the work and pass, whilst still working very hard.

If I worked hard I should be fine; without it being utter hell. There is hard work, then there is sheer hell, to the extent your life is never enjoyable and your consatntly crying and depressed.

- the tutor should help me avoid being a crying mess daily over the math element of the degree.

- I really really enjoy life sciences and biology, I love biomedical science too, which is very science driven with little math beyond adding equations (chemical ones)

- The degree still will not have HEAPS of math anyway, but rather just college entry level math, and then only the math included inadvertently in the SCIENCE components.

- truth be told, I WOULD FEEL SOOO GOOD about myself. The young Leigh, as kid, had high hopes for myself.

CONS

- I have to have a year of tutoring prior to BEGINNING the degree

- I still may not be up to scratch enough to handle a full course load of math and science; I may have to do 3 subjects, instead of the full 4, which add another year on top of the otherwise 3 year degree

- despite a year studying math and science prior to the degree, I may still find it SUCH hell and SO difficult, that I would be totally miserable

The social sciences degree

- I would be able to go right into it next year, do it full time AND work part time, and ENJOY the degree, for the most part, minus the boring papers; there would always be things I enjoyed reading. My good friend is studying it.

- Most students get jobs out of it, if they want to do social work

- Senior case managers get paid 80K or over

• Author

And to alleviate the issues that stunted my career to begin with, I will continue with egular therapy regardless of the outcome.

Man, I wonder if a year or tutoring ca get me ready to do a degree that will get me a highly paid job.

Sorry, but it is about the money for me, although the honour of completing the degree is JUST as important.

I DO want a degree and career I enjoy!

....Basically, out of the science driven degrees I LIKE the sound of and think I would enjoy, I want the best paying one.

• Author

Dude,

This is SO important..

I am going to seriously do one or the other option I have outlined.

I think I should get a math and science tutor, but just want people to back me up on it.

I want people to know that although I was never bellow average at math, that I have NOT used math for OVER 14 years.

So, I am wondering if one year math tutoring will even be enough for me to pass a degree that will yield a high paying job.

• Author

I am strongly leaning towards getting a math and science tutor, as in NOW.

I was really ambitious when I was a kid, and top of my class in some areas, including some math!

I do not want a math based degree, but I want a high paying job that I enjoy

I want to aim higher than I had previously thought I should....

I hope the math and science tutoring will enable the degree to not be TOTAL hell...

I am going to talk to a proffessional career councellor soon too, so I know exactly the degree and career I should aspire to; not too out of my reach, but something I can handle.

I am biased towards HR but I have really enjoyed this field. There are so many subsets in it, employee relations, employment law, recruiting, HRIS/technology, benefits, compensation, training, etc that one can specialize in or be a Generalist and more of a jack of all trades. I think it is a great field. I would suggest a degree which you can get while working, and your PHR. To move into upper management a Masters comes in handy.

Some HR can be boring but the more blue collar fields, hospitality, food, entertainment, can be very exciting, travel, etc.

I have carved out a very nice career for myself in HR.

• Author
I am biased towards HR but I have really enjoyed this field. There are so many subsets in it, employee relations, employment law, recruiting, HRIS/technology, benefits, compensation, training, etc that one can specialize in or be a Generalist and more of a jack of all trades. I think it is a great field. I would suggest a degree which you can get while working, and your PHR. To move into upper management a Masters comes in handy.

Some HR can be boring but the more blue collar fields, hospitality, food, entertainment, can be very exciting, travel, etc.

I have carved out a very nice career for myself in HR.

I plan on studying a social sciences degree, which has HR as a major, and pays well if your good at it.

Social WORK is actually a seperate degree; but I do not ONLY want to have social work, I want other employment prospects.

Social sciences in win win, as you can do social work, and other things like HR.

I love reading, can you tell me about the HR major you did and the career you have carved out?

What did it entail?

Sure, I was actually pre-law when I was getting my undergrad degree. So I was an English, Linguistics and Speech major. My dad's philosophy, and one that makes sense to me, is if you aren't going to grad school major in what will make money, if you are going to grad school major in what you enjoy. So I thought I was going to law school and English works nicely.

I took my LSATs, applied to schools, interned with two law firms while in college, and long story short deferred my first year and then decided not to go. But all of that was my foundation for HR.

I then worked different jobs, bouncing around trying to find things that supported my horses and riding more than anything else. Did some Admin asst work, and fell back into a company I worked in as a teenager and started doing their Payroll and rudimentary HR. I enjoyed it. I then segwayed into running my own business, and managing a few others. That taught me independence and well business!

Life changed again and I had to get back to a 9-5 job so I went back to HR and Payroll with a company, enjoyed that, and then a company I was doing side work for called and asked if I wanted to take over their payroll. They were a start up company starting to look at expanding their operations. I joined them, saw immediately they needed an HR department and then built it from the ground up. We went from a few hundred employees to over 5K now, we are nation wide, and going international. I got very lucky at being at the right place at the right time. It works very well for me as one of my strengths is developing the foundation for a department. It is always exciting, never dull, and always offering new challenges.

I have learned I work best with companies on the upswing of their life structure, once they mature and/or on the decline then HR gets a little boring for me, you are focused solely on cutting costs and looking at reductions of force. All good experiences to have but not where I want to focus my whole career.

For HR, you need to have a very good handle business. You want to be a strategic partner to the COO and CEO and you have to understand operations, how the business runs and the ways you can positively impact it. A degree in Business Administration would be good for HR. There are two schools of HR, the older view where HR as seen as the paper pushers, the birthday celebrators, and the other menial admin work. The new way is HR is hand in hand helping grow the company by focusing on their People Commodity. A number of companies have as their Chief HR Office, a Chief People Officer. HR is about helping people but it ties hand in hand with helping the business.

I enjoy it, I still have a lot to learn, but I really like the field. I am very honored and humbled by the opportunity that I have and it has been a gift of a lifetime to develop a department. I started off as the only person in the department and currently I have 15 people under me with open positions to fill.

Leigh, what I have read in your various threads, I would NOT study for a science degree in your shoes.

It isn't a matter of getting through Maths for a year, finishing a degree and getting a well paid job. You have to apply mathemical principles to other science subjects as well and you will need good problem solving skills later in your career. I know this because I'm an analyst.

If you struggle with Maths and you hate logic, you will not do well with your science degree and most likely won't have the intellectual power to hold down a well-paid science based job.

A social sciences degree would probably suit you better because scientific rigour is probably not your strength.

Biology and biomedical sciences don't require a lot of maths. Frankly, biology is 90% memorization - you don't need exceptional logical/analytical skills or intellect to do it. I'm not saying this to knock Bio, as it was one of the courses that I took in college, but it's the truth.

That being said, I'm not sure what you intend to DO with that bio/biomed degree that you're talking about. Have you given thought to what career pathways that might lead to and how suited you will be for them? The majority of people I know who did Bio actually went on to do grad studies or R&D, both of which I don't think you're gunning for. It's all very well and good to think that 'hard sciences give me good paying jobs', but how many high paying jobs have you actually SEEN that require a Bio degree? I can't comment on Aussie, but I don't know too many.

You need to sit down with your therapist, who should be serving as a sort of life coach for you, and determine how you want to spend your working life, and what abilities you naturally have towards that.

THEN.

THEN.

THEN you will map out a plan about how to get from where you actually are, RIGHT NOW, in your real, everyday life to that goal.

The way you are LIVING YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW, TODAY, is a very important factor.

It will start with taking ONE STEP. Then, another step. Then one more step. You will find that you are walking in the direction you wish to go if you keep taking these steps. You will modify your course as you go WITH THE HELP OF YOUR THERAPIST, when warranted.

As it is now, you are spiraling and it's not leading anywhere.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Author

Chaucer - I am going in the right direction!

I am not only about to START WORK; but I am LOOKING FOR MORE JOBS, for when my Christmas casual job finishes!

I have an INTERVIEW TODAY, and an INTERVIEW SUNDAY for jobs, EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY HAVE A JOB OVER CHRISTMAS.

And I have another job interview lined up with a good company that hardl anyone gets through the phone inteviews for (but I did!)

Excitingly, my case manager that I have to see in order to get government benefits is going to try to get me a job AS a case manager.

I have an interview in a couple of weeks, and will then do work experience there.

It pays better than retail or the like, and is 100% focused on helping people. Even better, is that you contunue doing modules and studyinf about more areas, such as disibility services (among others) so as to expand your career focus.

SO. I HAVE sat down with my therapist, and we agreed a social sciences degree would serve me best.

I would earn a living from it, and enjoy the styding of the degree, rather tha struggle with math which I hate with a passion.

My best female friend is studying social sciences and she finished top of her class in high school; but she hates math and sees no reason to pursue aother degree, seeing as she reallyl enjoys this one, and will get a job out of it at least.

What's more, social sciences majors in HR, among other things, which may require ONE math , BASIC math section, but I can handle ONE semester math lol.

So, there are fields that pay well in social sciences, and the ther are just case managers in social work, that do not pay well, but will at least support me in living, and saving for a holiday if I save like crazy in other aspects in my life.

LASTLY: I will probably look to get back into personal training, OR be a waitress or bar tender WHEN I get my degree, so as to earn more money if need be.

• Author

My parents and therapist agree that if I need more time to get my mental health in order, that I should just enroll in semester two next year.

They say that this will also give me the chance to get established in a job before studying.

I should be re registerd as a trainer by then, and culd try my hand at that as a secind career, in addition to the career I will eventually study for.

How did your interview on the 6th go? Was that at the sandwich shop? Do you have a job?!?

How did your interview on the 6th go? Was that at the sandwich shop? Do you have a job?!?

You can try to help her, but realise that all your effort will be futile and that her parents are obviously wealthy enough to see her through life anyway so even if she continues to do the things she does she'll be just fine.

It's over. She's not going to change. Ever.

Leigh I will tell you this, just a Bsc by itself won't lead to any groundbreaking jobs. I majored in biomedical science too. Most employers prefer those who have done an honours year. Without it you're competing with those who do and are at a disadvantage. Ideally you'd want to get a PhD. Of course no job will ever be 100% secure, but what job is? You have to really love science to get through it all. What is your passion? At the moment it sounds like its social work. You don't want to be stuck in a degree you hate.

^^^I have heard this too. I know of people who have Bachelor of Science degrees, but no related job unless they go on to graduate school, medical school, etc. I also know a lot of people with Bachelor of Arts degrees who are in the same boat. I think everyone I know, however, who has taken a professional program (social work, business, nursing, engineering, education, etc.) have gotten jobs in their fields.

• Author
You can try to help her, but realise that all your effort will be futile and that her parents are obviously wealthy enough to see her through life anyway so even if she continues to do the things she does she'll be just fine.

It's over. She's not going to change. Ever.

Lol very funny how you can read the future!

I did overcome anorexia and drug addiction on my own, you know; I have not relapsed since. not remotely.

I choose to believe myself and those around me, than you, some random negative moron on the internet.

What does it feel like to be such a negative person? I feel sorry for you...

I am a very positive, up beat person; people like me tend to be happier and much nicer people, than people like you, who assume the worst in people.

• Author

I already HAVE a job that has just started, and goes through until X mas.

I have to cancell the full time waitressing jobs in Sydney, as we had training for my work on those days.

So I cannot juggle two jobs just yet - ONE employer would get angry at me, seeing as they would BOTH call me in at the same time, and I would constantly have to LIE just to appease them both.

BUT, because it is a future career building job, I AM taking an interview with a flight centre. But it is HIGHLY competetive, you have to do a ONE HOUR text before you even ATTEND the group interview....

It is just too competitive to GET a job in the flight centre, frankly, but I am using igt as practice for future intensive interviews, and who knows, maybe my personality and determination will get me the job!

• Author
Leigh I will tell you this, just a Bsc by itself won't lead to any groundbreaking jobs. I majored in biomedical science too. Most employers prefer those who have done an honours year. Without it you're competing with those who do and are at a disadvantage. Ideally you'd want to get a PhD. Of course no job will ever be 100% secure, but what job is? You have to really love science to get through it all. What is your passion? At the moment it sounds like its social work. You don't want to be stuck in a degree you hate.

I am going to pursue social sciences, because at the very least I will get a corporate, professional office job, which beats the hell out of menial retail and hospitality jobs.

I am not trying to talk down on retail or resuatrants, as the senior managerial roles are fullfilling and well enough paid I am sure; I am talking about the usual waitressing and retail assistance job!

I could try my luck as a social worker, after a few years you get 60K, which is better than the non degree jobs for women, and on par with the trades men do I think.

I could always just do a masters if I hated social work, or to change my future prospects. OR, do a major that allows me more options than only a social worker.

Lol very funny how you can read the future!

I did overcome anorexia and drug addiction on my own, you know; I have not relapsed since. not remotely.

I choose to believe myself and those around me, than you, some random negative moron on the internet.

What does it feel like to be such a negative person? I feel sorry for you...

I am a very positive, up beat person; people like me tend to be happier and much nicer people, than people like you, who assume the worst in people.

You don't know who you are. You don't know which people are like you.

• Author
You don't know who you are. You don't know which people are like you.

I know your a negative person.

Where as I am not.

I would rarly assume a person would never change, and are doomed. Not unless they were a sociopath or psychopath, with no way their brains with chemically change from their sickness.

Assuming a person you do not know will never ever change, is a very negative statement.

I have too much to offer, to merely stay the exact same person throughout life.

In fact, I cannot fathom staing THE SAME, with no character building activities, for my entirel life.

I am too good to not get a professional job, and complete some study of some sort.

I did too well in school and have a natural desire to learn and better myself, to just let myself be.

Can you please take your stupid, baseless, and useless statements and shove them up your arse?

My threads have no place for strangers making ridiculous statements about me, when they do not even know me.

• Author

from now on, please stick to on topic and RELEVENT posts, thanks:)

None of you know me, therefore please, no internet strangers making major statements about who I am, and who I am capable of doing.

Just advise me on my best options in life career wise, as the thread acts for thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Option One

- spend next year with a math tutor, and possibly a science tutor.

Studying hard - 5 days a week a few hours of math and science, with weekends off, since it is NOT a degree, but just tutoring.

The following year I will then apply to get into a science driven degree, that is still not too advanced with the math, but has minimal math with hard science.

During this time I will try to get full time work, and work as much as I can whilst I brush up on my math skills.

I have decided to enroll in social sciences, as I will finish the degree before I am 30 and get a professional job out of it.

I willnot struggle much with the degree, as it is just a lot of reading, I will enjoy the study mostly, and it is easy to get a professional job out of it, and industry is growing.

I am no longer interested in sweating and sheedding blood for a degree that is too hard for me, just to get a better paid job.

My parents have said I can stay at home, seeing as they live overseas, and pay very minimal rent after I finish college initially.

...A professional job that will allow me to save hard and travel is ALL I want, really.

Can you please take your stupid, baseless, and useless statements and shove them up your arse?

My threads have no place for strangers making ridiculous statements about me, when they do not even know me.

Don't be offended, Alex is just young and outspoken. He means no harm.