Do companies do interviews as a formality after they've found their person?

Just curious if you've ever experienced this, or done it as a person doing the hiring.

I ask because someone I know told me the place I'm interviewing for in two days has already hired someone brand new. I don't know if they're looking for more than one or not, and I imagine with the lengthy process they didn't apply when I did either. It can take much longer than that.

The position is still being advertised on the website as still accepting applicants until it's filled too.

I don't think so, I know employers have to post openings publicly by law, whether they're already being filled from the inside or not. But interviews, I doubt it. They could be very well looking for future hires or looking to fill positions very soon just getting a jump on candidates.

I've been pretty lucky, just phone interviews and reference checks. Very rare do I have to apply or be interviewed in person. Nothing like an interview while sipping on some iced-tea in a hammock.

Yes, I've seen it happen. Especially when its an internal hire.

Goes like this:

Post job as a formality.

do an "interview".

person transitions.

• Author
I don't think so, I know employers have to post openings publicly by law, whether they're already being filled from the inside or not. But interviews, I doubt it. They could be very well looking for future hires or looking to fill positions very soon just getting a jump on candidates.

I've been pretty lucky, just phone interviews and reference checks. Very rare do I have to apply or be interviewed in person. Nothing like an interview while sipping on some iced-tea in a hammock.

Crazy, never had a single phone interview. Supplemental or otherwise! It'd be a hell of a lot easier though, last time was a panel of law enforcement pro's and I was more nervous than usual.

Of course they do. There was a time I showed up for a interview and the receptionist went to get the person who I was scheduled to meet with it. Then that person tells the receptionist to ask me if I can come back tomorrow because she will be in meetings the rest of the day?

Of course I said No and moved on because she couldn't come out herself and tell me

Of course they do. There was a time I showed up for a interview and the receptionist went to get the person who I was scheduled to meet with it. Then that person tells the receptionist to ask me if I can come back tomorrow because she will be in meetings the rest of the day?

Of course I said No and moved on because she couldn't come out herself and tell me

She asked you to come back and you said no? Seriously?

Only because she didn't come out and tell me herself. So I felt some type of way about that and decided to move on

Only because she didn't come out and tell me herself. So I felt some type of way about that and decided to move on

So? She was busy? Who cares. Your entitled attitude has kept you from getting a job with this ridiculous line of thinking.

This guy has a history of not wanting to work. If it's not ideal, he walks, it's his mentality on a whole... even though he's been unemployed for almost a year. don't waste your time, but if you want a laugh check out his thread- it gets pretty ridiculous.

@Iced..

Most the jobs I've gone for this decade have been overseas, and the company doesn't care who I am. I've met my boss like twice, lol. They're just looking for relatively qualified bodies willing to deploy or work in some random country for a few months.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I botched it. I messed up by thinking the interview was today and it was actually yesterday, and now I feel like a moron.

I emailed HR and apologized for my mistake, but ugh...I've never missed an interview. I feel really bad that they accommodated me and I just completely mixed up the days.

Oh well, it likely would've been another 2 month run around with no job at the end anyway. I had been told someone had been hired like I said, so who knows?

Well, I botched it. I messed up by thinking the interview was today and it was actually yesterday, and now I feel like a moron.

I emailed HR and apologized for my mistake, but ugh...I've never missed an interview. I feel really bad that they accommodated me and I just completely mixed up the days.

Oh well, it likely would've been another 2 month run around with no job at the end anyway. I had been told someone had been hired like I said, so who knows?

I know all about the RUN AROUND, in the process of a run around now for a job I applied to on July 31st and today is Nov 2nd

So? She was busy? Who cares. Your entitled attitude has kept you from getting a job with this ridiculous line of thinking.

Sorry to sidetrack your thread, OP, but i had to comment. You know, MCF, I'm actually sorry that you don't have a sense of self-respect that would make you feel the way Philly does. You can attribute whatever character flaw you want, but if I showed up for a scheduled interview and the person could not meet with me, and did not call me prior to let me know, I wouldn't go back either. Jobs will come and go, but pride and self-respect can be hard to come by sometimes.

Sorry to sidetrack your thread, OP, but i had to comment. You know, MCF, I'm actually sorry that you don't have a sense of self-respect that would make you feel the way Philly does. You can attribute whatever character flaw you want, but if I showed up for a scheduled interview and the person could not meet with me, and did not call me prior to let me know, I wouldn't go back either. Jobs will come and go, but pride and self-respect can be hard to come by sometimes.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! So surprised many people didn't understand that you don't allow yourself to be treated like crap for a job

• Author

I called and apologized profusely, the HR person said they have to hear back from the Director about another interview.

I don't blame them if they don't give me one, I messed up so I feel awful about it.

I called and apologized profusely, the HR person said they have to hear back from the Director about another interview.

I don't blame them if they don't give me one, I messed up so I feel awful about it.

Yeah you may have blown that one, sorry to hear that

• Author
Yeah you may have blown that one, sorry to hear that

Not a big deal really, I just don't ever want to miss an interview again.

• Author
If you needed a wake-up call, consider this it. If not, sorry to hear about it. Get a planner!

I did have a planner, it was listed correctly I just was positive it was the 2nd not the 1st.

I'm not sure how it's a wake up call exactly...it's never happened before, and it's not happening again!

People are busy sometimes, I understand that. The only problem I had was when I was scheduled for an interview and someone was hired. I guess they had forgot to tell me when I showed up for the interview. :rolleyes:

Eh, this sort of thing happens. I was 2 days late to my interview due to delays in airline schedules. Seems odd a director would even care, it's generally up to the hiring manager to reschedule.

Did you have a phone interview first?

• Author
Eh, this sort of thing happens. I was 2 days late to my interview due to delays in airline schedules. Seems odd a director would even care, it's generally up to the hiring manager to reschedule.

Did you have a phone interview first?

No, no phone interview. The last time I did an aptitude test, then weeks later the panel interview(which I was awful at) and ended up not getting it.

She's just the HR "generalist" and when she rescheduled she had to talk to someone, I'm presuming the director.

I'm not expecting a call back anyway.

I actually agree with you on this one. If the manager schedules me for an interview and won't give me the time of day, I'd leave also. Who knows, I could have filled that time slot with another interview.

• Like 1
No, no phone interview. The last time I did an aptitude test, then weeks later the panel interview(which I was awful at) and ended up not getting it.

She's just the HR "generalist" and when she rescheduled she had to talk to someone, I'm presuming the director.

I'm not expecting a call back anyway.

Typically the HR headhunter will work on behalf of the hiring manager. If they have reason to believe you are a strong candidate they will accommodate you.

• Author
Typically the HR headhunter will work on behalf of the hiring manager. If they have reason to believe you are a strong candidate they will accommodate you.

Yeah, but I doubt they're calling back. Like I said in my OP I was told a new person was already hired, so I'm not sure if they were looking for more than one.

I just probably sunk myself by missing my first interview ever, I'll just move on. I don't expect to be called back, I'm not sure I would call someone back if they totally missed the interview.

I'll update if I do get the call though.

Yeah, but I doubt they're calling back. Like I said in my OP I was told a new person was already hired, so I'm not sure if they were looking for more than one.

I just probably sunk myself by missing my first interview ever, I'll just move on. I don't expect to be called back, I'm not sure I would call someone back if they totally missed the interview.

I'll update if I do get the call though.

I have been involved in both sides of many interviews, they never (in my experience) continue to interview after the requisition is filled. They MAY continue to interview after finding a suitable candidate if the position is not officially filled by the offer->accept handshake yet.

• Like 1