Dealing with Sulking Coworker?

I think my coworker is sulking.

At our last meeting our manager brought to our attention that there was funding available to travel to a conference in Ireland for one of our three team members. We literally flipped a coin to see who would go and I was very lucky to win the coin toss.

This conference is to gain knowledge of a new system we have just installed and which one of my other coworkers has a very good grasp of, whereas mine is a bit shaky yet. There was also going to be a training seminar after the conference for those who would wish to stay an few extra days for an additional charge.

At the time that I won the toss I felt that my coworker would actually be the better person to go as he would be able to attend the seminar afterwards and be the better person to bring back more information. I spoke with my manager and offered my spot to my coworker to go instead. My coworker upon hearing this seemed pleased but somewhat uncomfortable with the situation as I had won fairly the opportunity. As a result he spoke with the manager (unknown to me) and they agreed that if the funding for the addition of the seminar did not come through then I would be the one to attend the conference only.

As it turns out the funding did not come through for the addition of the seminar as I hear it was somewhat pricey....the result being that I'm now able to go to the conference. Only problem is my coworker now seems to be sulking. He hasn't been talking to either myself of the other individual on our team. Kind of makes for an awkward situation at the moment.

I think it's a little inappropriate as I won the opportunity fairly and even offered to give it up if the funding would work out.....which it did not. Now I'm the one who feels somewhat guilty for how things have ended up.

How long does male sulking usually go on for?

How long does male sulking usually go on for?

For as long as you pay attention to it, usually. If my nephew is anything to go by.

• Like 2
UpwardForward

Don't feel guilty.

But you have mentioned your knowledge could be considered a bit shaky.

I would beef up my appearance with careful (comprehending) notes, or if possible audio/video equip.

Prove you were the best candidate w the coin toss.

Edited by UpwardForward
For as long as you pay attention to it, usually. If my nephew is anything to go by.

I agree, if you don't pay attention the person will eventually give up.

• Author

Uhg....you know it's not so much that I'm paying attention to it per say, as our work environment causes us to be in such close proximity to each other that I can't help be conscious of it. You know....the silent treatment and noticeable change in character etc.....

Such is life though. I'm not his mom or wife.

• Like 1

Yeah I would go about your day as if maybe he has other stuff in his life going on that you don't know about which could very possibly be the case. (Even if the sulking is because of the situation.) Just treat him the way you normally would treat him. In other words, act like you don't notice any sulking.