My first second interview of my life. What to expect?

This is the first time ever in my life that I was invited back for a second interview due being hired after the 1st interview or never making it past the initial interview.

So just wanted to know what to expect. Thank You

BTW: Since the initial interview was on September 25th, I;m stunned I was invited back for a second interview 2 weeks later on October 11th. I figured it was over and decided to move on.

This is the first time ever in my life that I was invited back for a second interview due being hired after the 1st interview or never making it past the initial interview.

So just wanted to know what to expect. Thank You

BTW: Since the initial interview was on September 25th, I;m stunned I was invited back for a second interview 2 weeks later on October 11th. I figured it was over and decided to move on.

Be prepared to take a drug test.

• Like 2

Was the first interview structured and competency questions based? Or quite informal? Did they give you even just a vague indication of what the second would be structured as? There are no set rules in that regard.

You can always ask the HR department if you are not clear, they are meant to advise you.

No way to tell you what to expect since we don't know what happened in the first one.

For the job that I am starting next week, I went through EIGHT interviews.

Usually it is just meeting other people and reconfirming what you have already said and weeding through those that have made the first cut.

Usually it is just meeting other people and reconfirming what you have already said and weeding through those that have made the first cut.

This.

It's either a meeting with a different person/people and/or going through in more detail about your profile. Sometimes the interview can be a bit more informal if it's the same person you're meeting. Otherwise, if it's someone new, it could be just a different set of questions or same set of questions asked in a different way.

What you need to focus on is that this person has some veto power about whether you go through to the next stage, so you need to take this one just as seriously as the first interview. It might be worth googling "seond interview preparation" and/or asking the agency if their client needs you to prepare anything or if they can give you some advice on what to expect. It's their client, so they should know why the need for a second interview.

• Like 4
  • Author
Was the first interview structured and competency questions based? Or quite informal? Did they give you even just a vague indication of what the second would be structured as? There are no set rules in that regard.

You can always ask the HR department if you are not clear, they are meant to advise you.

The 1st interview was 30 minutes due to a meeting she had to attend. Yes the interview was question based and also asked did I know a certain person based on my previous job. Then she asked me to do a writing sample for her and leave it with the receptionist.

• Author

Actually it just hit me, I did have a second interview way back when I was 23 for a radio station and for some reason I didn't take it as seriously as the first one.

I usually had more informal 2nd interviews with someone more senior (who wouldn't have been expected to go through all of the 1st interview candidates).

January's advice is very good I think

• Like 1

The more interviews there are, the more seriously you are being considered.

In my recent round of job-hunting, I had four different companies put me through at least four interviews which meant I was moving may way forward towards that job. Two of them involved eight interviews and I received offers from both of those.

I look at the first interview as the meet-and-greet and if they are seriously considering you, then you get asked back for a second one where they will delve more into your qualifications, personality, and "fit."

• Like 2
  • Author

And since my budget is tight and I only have 1 suit, do I need to go out and purchase another suit jacket?

Or just wear the same suit with a different color shirt and tie?

And since my budget is tight and I only have 1 suit, do I need to go out and purchase another suit jacket?

Or just wear the same suit with a different color shirt and tie?

Here we go with this again. :rolleyes: I think people have already addressed this question on one of your other threads. Don't put so much thought into it. Just put on a different color shirt and tie. I doubt they will notice it that much.

Anyways, from my experience, usually the second interview means be prepared to be hired. They are very interested in you and usually tie up a few last things before offering you the job. So whenever they ask you to start, be prepared to say "immediately". In my experience usually the second interview is when they tell you that you have the job if that all goes well.

• Like 3
  • Author
Here we go with this again. :rolleyes: I think people have already addressed this question on one of your other threads. Don't put so much thought into it. Just put on a different color shirt and tie. I doubt they will notice it that much.

Anyways, from my experience, usually the second interview means be prepared to be hired. They are very interested in you and usually tie up a few last things before offering you the job. So whenever they ask you to start, be prepared to say "immediately". In my experience usually the second interview is when they tell you that you have the job if that all goes well.

Oh yes I would definitely say iMMEDIATELY because this is not a temp job. No way would I say I can start in a week even though it would be nice:D

• Like 3

This is important:

They will ask you if you have any questions. ALWAYS have questions.

Some of my favorite include:

• What can I do to succeed in this job?
  • Do you have any reservations about me that I can address?
  • Is this a new position? If not, what happened to the person I am replacing?
  • How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
  • How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
  • Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
  • What is the company's management style?
  • Who does this position report to? If I am offered the position, can I meet him/her?
  • How many people work in this office/department?
  • What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected?
  • What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
  • How does one advance in the company?
  • Are there any examples?
  • What do you like about working here?
  • What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
  • Would you like a list of references?
  • If I am extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
  • What can I tell you about my qualifications?
  • When can I expect to hear from you?
  • Are there any other questions I can answer for you?

• Like 4
This is important:

• Is this a new position? If not, what happened to the person I am replacing?

I love this one! So important because it really says a lot about the company and potential turnover. You definitely want to know what turnover is like and gauge if this is a company people like working for.

• Like 1
  • Author
I love this one! So important because it really says a lot about the company and potential turnover. You definitely want to know what turnover is like and gauge if this is a company people like working for.

I thought about that and felt that as a unemployed person with UC running out can I really ask that question? I mean shouldn't I just be happy that the last person who had the position is no longer which gives me a opportunity?

I mean I can see a employed person asking that but someone like me? Even though I would like to know.

It's to show interest and most importantly, fyi. My brother moved out of state to work at a minimum wage job that ended up having over 90% turnover. Needless to say, the job didn't work out.

• Author
It's to show interest and most importantly, fyi. My brother moved out of state to work at a minimum wage job that ended up having over 90% turnover. Needless to say, the job didn't work out.

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't want to start a job and be unemployed again in 6 months. Whatever job I accept I definitely want to be there beyond 2013.

I thought about that and felt that as a unemployed person with UC running out can I really ask that question? I mean shouldn't I just be happy that the last person who had the position is no longer which gives me a opportunity?

I mean I can see a employed person asking that but someone like me? Even though I would like to know.

Of course you can ask. It shows you have an interest in the make-up of the company and those interviewing you don't need to know how desperate you are. For all they know, you have many opportunities and are simply looking for the right fit.

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't want to start a job and be unemployed again in 6 months. Whatever job I accept I definitely want to be there beyond 2013.

Then you need to express this. State that you are looking for the right position that will give you longevity and stability. You can even outline how that has not been possible with past positions which is why you are encouraged at this one (or something to that effect).

• Author
Of course you can ask. It shows you have an interest in the make-up of the company and those interviewing you don't need to know how desperate you are. For all they know, you have many opportunities and are simply looking for the right fit.

Then you need to express this. State that you are looking for the right position that will give you longevity and stability. You can even outline how that has not been possible with past positions which is why you are encouraged at this one (or something to that effect).

The questions I decided to ask before I started this thread was

1. So what would be the main thing I would be evaluated on?

2. How often are performance reviews given?

3. What do you enjoy most about working here?

4. What attracted you to this organization?

5. When can I expect to hear from you regarding the next step in the hiring decision?

1. So what would be the main thing I would be evaluated on?

Suggestions: Find some other word than "thing"... And are you asking about being evaluated for the hiring process? You need to assume they are going to hire you and look forward into the job process which goes back to my best question, "How can I succeed in this job?" It is more open-ended and shows your head is already in the job space versus the interview space.

2. How often are performance reviews given?

Rephrase, "Can you tell me about the H.R. practices of reviews and promotions?" Again - this is a more open-ended question that shows you are thinking about the job process and not raises.

5. When can I expect to hear from you regarding the next step in the hiring decision?

Rephrase again: Don't ask specifics but open-ended! "May I ask what your next steps are in the hiring process?" Not when they are expected to respond to YOU, but what their entire process is that is inclusive of others.

• Like 1

3. What do you enjoy most about working here?

4. What attracted you to this organization?

I like these two. I use these most of the time in my interviews. Though it's just one employee's opinion, I think it reveals a lot about whether or not the company is a good one to work for and looks after their employees to the extent that they are happy to work there.

Questions like these also make the interview less one-sided and more enjoyable, in my opinion. Which can help to make the interviewer like you a bit more and think that you'd be a good fit.

• Author
Suggestions: Find some other word than "thing"... And are you asking about being evaluated for the hiring process? You need to assume they are going to hire you and look forward into the job process which goes back to my best question, "How can I succeed in this job?" It is more open-ended and shows your head is already in the job space versus the interview space.

Rephrase, "Can you tell me about the H.R. practices of reviews and promotions?" Again - this is a more open-ended question that shows you are thinking about the job process and not raises.

Rephrase again: Don't ask specifics but open-ended! "May I ask what your next steps are in the hiring process?" Not when they are expected to respond to YOU, but what their entire process is that is inclusive of others.

Ok Thank you for the tips

• Author
I like these two. I use these most of the time in my interviews. Though it's just one employee's opinion, I think it reveals a lot about whether or not the company is a good one to work for and looks after their employees to the extent that they are happy to work there.

Questions like these also make the interview less one-sided and more enjoyable, in my opinion. Which can help to make the interviewer like you a bit more and think that you'd be a good fit.

I got too personal in one interview and asked so..."How do you like living in Philly"

LOL. Only because she mentioned that she moved here from Virginia I thought I was on a date

I got too personal in one interview and asked so..."How do you like living in Philly"

LOL. Only because she mentioned that she moved here from Virginia I thought I was on a date

I think questions like that are okay. Showing your interest in the interviewer (not romantic interest) is okay, in my opinion. It makes it less of an interview and more like two colleagues having a chat. My most successful interviews have all been like that. And, in my opinion, most professionals expect a bit of banter. It might be a bit fake, but I think it's important to try to build rapport with your interviewer(s) to improve your chances of being put forward to the next stage.

My proviso is that if the interviewer is either very junior/inexperienced or very by-the-book, then they might not take too kindly to the banter. You'd have to read the situation.

I think that if things are very awkward, it's a good sign that it's a poor fit.