Cover Letter questions!

Would you say a cover letter is important if it's not asked for?

I also could specifically write it to the HR Director, but that's the only person who's listed for the town where I'm applying, and it says NO CALLS so I'm not about to make them mad by calling.

Usually if it's not required, I just introduce myself as who I am, what I'm looking for and what I can bring to the company. Simple paragraph is fine.

I wouldn't say it is important but when I get them personalized to the company and they throw in an item or 2 that isn't on the resume.. whatever it is it turns it into a plus.

I wouldn't sweat it though if you don't include one..

Half the resumes I've looked at in the last year didn't have them and it didn't deter me from reading their resume appropriately.

IMO.. if you are in a professional field then you should also have a linkedin profile with all your resume and info online as well...

2 of the last 3 hires here have been from linkedin... it seems to be a good way to find quality people today.

• Author
I wouldn't say it is important but when I get them personalized to the company and they throw in an item or 2 that isn't on the resume.. whatever it is it turns it into a plus.

Half the resumes I've looked at in the last year didn't have them and it didn't deter me from reading their resume appropriately.

IMO.. if you are in a professional field then you should also have a linkedin profile with all your resume and info online as well...

2 of the last 3 hires here have been from linkedin... it seems to be a good way to find quality people today.

Eh, not a fan of LinkedIn or putting my information online really. No one can even view my Facebook page and I may end up deleting it soon.

I agree that your fb should not show any info... orat he very least you should chose to only show a few mature items... ie: a single mom might make going to an amusment park public... etc etc

• Author
I agree that your fb should not show any info... orat he very least you should chose to only show a few mature items... ie: a single mom might make going to an amusment park public... etc etc

LinkedIn for business professionals makes sense, the job I'm going for is a police dispatcher actually. I went through a two month hiring process for it on the state level before and got down to myself and 2 others but didn't get it. I was disappointed to say the least.

This is a town emergency dispatcher position, so we'll see how it goes. The resume and cover letter is going to the town HR department first though.

I also could specifically write it to the HR Director, but that's the only person who's listed for the town where I'm applying, and it says NO CALLS so I'm not about to make them mad by calling.

Not always required, but it is only like what.. 5 minutes of your time?? And it will at least get you on top of who ever didn't have one, methinks.

addresses...

1 paragraph.. Hi i'm >unemployed< , I'm interested in this specific position, and perfect for it cause i'm awesome

2 paragraph...this is what makes me awesome

3 paragraph... thank you for your consideration of my awesomeness.

• Like 2
  • Author
Not always required, but it is only like what.. 5 minutes of your time?? And it will at least get you on top of who ever didn't have one, methinks.

addresses...

1 paragraph.. Hi i'm >unemployed< , I'm interested in this specific position, and perfect for it cause i'm awesome

I'm not unemployed, don't worry. Jobs just usually say they want one if they want one. Many hiring managers have said that it's pointless too, so too much can be bad at times.

todreaminblue

addresses...

the cover letter can sometimes be the only difference between you and another prospective......you may have exactly the same credentials or you can have less

a cover letter will be the essence of who you are as a person and show off your personality....i love writing cover letters like i like writing eulogies.......same distinction for me.....

i dont know about hitting up the awesomeness in personal factor in opening though....more go your interest in the company not yourself go fro the priority of working for them not yourself its not about you but proving the importance of their company to you.... you are merely an oiled cog to be put to use..you are not special other than when you gain employment you will be outstandingly innovative then...deb

This is a town emergency dispatcher position, so we'll see how it goes. The resume and cover letter is going to the town HR department first though.

Good luck.....

addresses...

Completely agree with the above, although I would clarify #2 to say "this is what makes me awesome FOR THIS POSITION" (describe things about your experience & personality that would enable you to perform the position better than anyone else).

And about the "unemployed" bit - don't mention that (even if you are!). You want to focus on the positive in the cover letter. In the resume too, for that matter.

Good luck!

Edited by OpenBook
oh! forgot the unemployed bit
  • Author

I'm doing a "To whom it may concern" greeting because there's no way to find out who's reviewing it. I found the director's name, but it'd be silly if he wasn't the one going over it.

I'm doing a "To whom it may concern" greeting because there's no way to find out who's reviewing it. I found the director's name, but it'd be silly if he wasn't the one going over it.

I usually put "hiring manager" or "HR director" when I am not able to find a name. However most companies have websites with this information and if not I will always call the company to find out.

A cover letter doesn't hurt but our HR department doesn't forward it to us with CVs when we recruit.

It's much more important that your CV is tailored to the job. It is what will get read guaranteed. A letter is good but there is no guarantee that it will reach the intended person

• Author
I usually put "hiring manager" or "HR director" when I am not able to find a name. However most companies have websites with this information and if not I will always call the company to find out.

They didn't, only the director and specific instructions not to call them.

goldengirl11

I tend to start my covering letter to Dear Sir/Madam, with the department/company below it. Although on the envelope I would write the Manager/job title.

In 2012 it's called a cover paragraph. Short as possible stating one skill and explaining how that one skill is beneficial in one or two sentences.

What field was it for?

florence of suburbia

Cover letter should not focus on your awesomeness, it should focus on how you can fulfill the needs of the employer. Very polite, brief and to the point.

Quite possibly no one but the recruiter will read it, since your info may be uploaded to a database and reformatted into a standard template for ease of use and comparison to other applications.