How to sell oneself in interview?

Since the last 3 months, I've been on about 20 interviews and haven't gotten an offer. How does one actually sell themselves to the employer? What must a person do these days to get a job? I need a job badly. Do you guys always close with a strong selling point and how does one go about this? I'm not gay, but should I offer to suck their cawks? I'll do that if it gets me the job!

That might be your problem there: inappropriate talk and not taking it seriously enough.

If you got to interview stage, then they must have thought that you were competent. However, if you are failing at the interview stage, it suggests that they don't think your personality or the way you come across is a fit for them.

If you are looking for serious suggestions, I suggest asking someone who knows you in real life and who will be honest about how you come across. Filming yourself in a mock interview situation might also help.

Edited by january2011

first off: be yourself. Dont sell yourself. its not necessary.

second: just tell them what you can do for them and how their vision or mission statement fits with your ideals. Express gratitude.

your half way there. Good Luck!

Since the last 3 months, I've been on about 20 interviews and haven't gotten an offer.

I have as well (almost 30 interviews) - but I've received several offers...

S How does one actually sell themselves to the employer? What must a person do these days to get a job?

You listen very carefully to their needs and describe what you have done in previous jobs that are similar and how you can effectively do that job for them.

Eye contact. As soon as you look away, there is implied deception.

Do you guys always close with a strong selling point and how does one go about this?

Enthusiasm for the job and a reiteration of what they have said they want and how you can be THE person for the job.

Also, go to YouTube for Effective Job Interview techniques. There are some good suggestions there.

You'll get different answers, but really you need to make them believe you're important for them to hire, that you'll be worth it.

Since the last 3 months, I've been on about 20 interviews and haven't gotten an offer. How does one actually sell themselves to the employer? What must a person do these days to get a job? I need a job badly. Do you guys always close with a strong selling point and how does one go about this? I'm not gay, but should I offer to suck their cawks? I'll do that if it gets me the job!

Could it have ANYTHING to do with you wanting to "tap that booty" of your interviewer? :laugh:

• Like 1

<<Eye contact. As soon as you look away, there is implied deception.>>

I have trouble with this. I make eye contact, but to gather my thoughts I may look away. It's not to invent a story; it's for remembering what I want to say.

I do read body language differently than most people. When Pres Obama was doing debate and didn't look happy, I read it as his being angry rather than not wanting to be there, as other people were saying it looked like. I think I was right in that case because Romney wasn't sticking to his story. But the problem is that I don't read body language like the majority of people do.

Abystarswoman
Since the last 3 months, I've been on about 20 interviews and haven't gotten an offer. How does one actually sell themselves to the employer?

I always say that it's imperative to do your homework before an interview. Know everything there is to know about the company, what their mission statement is, what ideals and goals they have in mind - and make sure that your philosophy is in alignment with theirs. I wouldn't work for a company that didn't hold the same beliefs and values that I do (this is why I'm in the criminal justice field - my beliefs align with the profession as a whole). The main goal is to know more about the company than any Joe Schmoe walking in off of the street; this shows them that you're interested in their work and in their mission. You'll be better prepared in an interview if and when you get those questions like, "why do you want to work here".

"Why do you want to work for XYZ company?"

a. "Because, I need a job. I need to feed myself and my family."

b. "I'm interested in the products and/or services that XYZ provides to the community, both at large and on a more personal scale. Your product/service, as I see it, can be useful in (these ways), but I foresee more opportunities to promote this product/service, and here are the ways in which I see this possibility happening.... (etc.)"

I don't know about you, but if I were the hiring authority, I'd go with Candidate B in a heartbeat. Sure, Candidate A's response is probably truthful. But it doesn't tell me WHY he wants to work for the company. Why our company, and not someone else's?

Doing your homework is such a valuable thing, and even if it doesn't seem to produce immediate results, the personnel department is sure to remember you - the more prepared you are, the better you look to them.

Do you smoke ?

How are you dressed for the interviews ?

How is your hair cut ?

Do you have any visible tattoos ?

Do you make direct eye contact with the interviewer ?

Do you smoke ?

How are you dressed for the interviews ?

How is your hair cut ?

Do you have any visible tattoos ?

Do you make direct eye contact with the interviewer ?

If you've seen his other thread, I think you'd see what the issue is. :laugh:

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/349308-appropriate-hit-job-recruiter

Here's a few tips I read about and successfully used when I was looking for an internship:

1. Always dress professionally to an interview--suit and tie for men, business suit for women.

2. Always prepare yourself beforehand by doing some research on the company, and then in the interview, explain how your skills and experience fit well with the company's focus.

3. Explain your qualifications confidently, and express your confidence in your ability to perform the job.

4. Ask the interviewer if he has any reservations about your background or ability to handle the job. This will get him talking so that you have an opportunity to respond to any reservations in a positive way, and will help the interviewer to solidify in his mind that you are qualified for the job.

5. Always send a thank you letter or thank you Email to your interviewer the same day or the next day after the interview, thanking him for taking the time to interview you, and giving him a brief synopsis of why you feel you would be a good fit for the company, and stating how you would really like to work for them and feel you would be a good fit for them. Emphasize your good work ethic, your reliability, and whatever other skills you have that would make you a good candidate.