Business casual?

confused1989

I'm starting a new job soon with a health organization and I've been told that for orientation I should dress in business casual.

What exactly should I be wearing?

The job I'll be working will mostly consist of me going into households and interacting with families who have children with delays, so it's definitely not the kind of work where I need to wear a shirt and tie or anything overly intimidating.

But, the orientation is for all new health professionals so there will be physicians , etc present.

Any advice? I guess I should also say I'm male before anyone tells me to make sure I'm not showing any cleavage:lmao:.

I'm a female and was also told this when starting my job. For men, I think it's easier. Either a polo shirt and slacks or khakis or a simple button down dress shirt with slacks or khakis. ;)

I would go for a smart light-coloured long-sleeved shirt, smart dark trousers and smart dark shoes. You can take a matching suit jacket with you, but probably don't need a tie.

Better to dress slightly more formally with options to dress up or down (as in wear jacket or remove it) when you see what everyone else is wearing.

If you have the option of slightly friendlier colours such as brown but still smart, that might be better as the traditional corporate attire of black, navy or charcoal can be a little severe-looking in your field. If you can't don't worry about it.

Do not wear a short-sleeved or sleeveless top, jeans, sportswear, shorts, running shoes or flip flops.

My boss wears bright orange short-sleeved polo shirts all the time and often times wears them for days in a row. :rolleyes: I agree though, it's hard to interpret business casual, so go a little more formal and see what everyone else is dressed like. In my company, some are better dressed than others. Some more formal and some more casual.

• Like 1
My boss wears bright orange short-sleeved polo shirts all the time and often times wears them for days in a row. :rolleyes:

:D

I think some people can get away with it if they are the boss and particularly in warmer climates or if the company culture has a bit of a country club feeling to it. However, I don't think polo shirts work as business casual everywhere, unfortunately, for your boss. From experience, they're considered leisurewear and therefore inappropriate in some places.

• Like 1

I used to interpret business casual as anything but jeans - or if senior management were away then jeans too :)

It's good to start off smart OP and work from there. You can see over time how much casual you can get away with and what everyone else wears.

• Author
confused1989

Well I ended up going with the brown khakis and a button up shirt. I was the only male there so I didn't end up having to question the decision at all anyway :lmao:

• Like 1
I used to interpret business casual as anything but jeans - or if senior management were away then jeans too :)

It's good to start off smart OP and work from there. You can see over time how much casual you can get away with and what everyone else wears.

I work in an office with about 5 people. My boss usually wears polos or button up shirts. A few of us wear jeans and one of my coworkers looks the most dressy.