How to schedule interviews while employed somewhere else?

I am starting to truly hate my current job, especially the fraternization that's going on in the workplace and managers turning a blind eye to it etc. I've sent out resumes and have gotten some invitations to interview, but how do people usually schedule these things? The appointments they offer are usually during work hours, duh, ie 8-5. Good Lord, I sound like someone who's never interviewed before while employed, but here's the deal: I don't have so many pto hours to accommodate that. And my current employer won't allow comp time/flex time/make-up time, and I've never been in a situation like that. I've always had more flexible hours.

It's understandable that companies interview people when they're open, and you don't really get much of a choice as far as the day/time of the day is concerned, but I can't possibly be the only one out there who has a problem with that. Also, taking unpaid time off is a big no-no, so I'm really facing a predicament here. How do you guys handle that?*

I am starting to truly hate my current job, especially the fraternization that's going on in the workplace and managers turning a blind eye to it etc. I've sent out resumes and have gotten some invitations to interview, but how do people usually schedule these things? The appointments they offer are usually during work hours, duh, ie 8-5. Good Lord, I sound like someone who's never interviewed before while employed, but here's the deal: I don't have so many pto hours to accommodate that. And my current employer won't allow comp time/flex time/make-up time, and I've never been in a situation like that. I've always had more flexible hours.

It's understandable that companies interview people when they're open, and you don't really get much of a choice as far as the day/time of the day is concerned, but I can't possibly be the only one out there who has a problem with that. Also, taking unpaid time off is a big no-no, so I'm really facing a predicament here. How do you guys handle that?*

How can you go on a interview and you just started the job in July? The only way you can go on a interview is if you schedule it in the evenings or weekends and I don't think that's possible.

That's why it's so important for people to pick the right job because you are stuck for atleast 90 days and have to hope they fire you. You can't quit because you wouldn't get unemployment.

Unfortunately you won't be able to go on a interview because you only been on the job for 2 months.

Also, taking unpaid time off is a big no-no, so I'm really facing a predicament here. How do you guys handle that?*

Doctor's appointments... An employer knows that doctors don't have evening and weekend hours.

You explain to the proposed interviewer a first-in-the-morning and late-in-the-day interview and then - poof - you need to come in late or leave early for a doctor's appointment.

It may be frowned upon for PTO, but they can't stop you.

I've had "flat tires," "dental visits," and have occasionally successfully scheduled interviews during long lunches. Most new employers understand and are willing to accommodate as best they can.

Doctor's appointments... An employer knows that doctors don't have evening and weekend hours.

You explain to the proposed interviewer a first-in-the-morning and late-in-the-day interview and then - poof - you need to come in late or leave early for a doctor's appointment.

I've had "flat tires," "dental visits," and have occasionally successfully scheduled interviews during long lunches. Most new employers understand and are willing to accommodate as best they can.

How is that possible during the probationary period

How is that possible during the probationary period

People still get sick or get a toothache during the probationary period too

Just lie OP, you can't do it too often though

• Author

Trial period is long over, thank goodness, however, PTO is insufficient, that's the only problem. I've been working there a few years. But with kid getting sick, babysitter problems and all the other things that come up for a single patent, you go through your paid time off like it's nothing. Last year was especially bad, and I didn't even take a real vacation. Thanks for the suggestions, though. Clearly, I'll have to resort to lying. I pretty much knew that, just wanted to know how common this is. Ugh.

Trial period is long over, thank goodness, however, PTO is insufficient, that's the only problem. I've been working there a few years. But with kid getting sick, babysitter problems and all the other things that come up for a single patent, you go through your paid time off like it's nothing. Last year was especially bad, and I didn't even take a real vacation. Thanks for the suggestions, though. Clearly, I'll have to resort to lying. I pretty much knew that, just wanted to know how common this is. Ugh.

I believe the only true way to get a job while employed is through a strong network which means you get another job with one interview or no interview. If you have to keep taking off to go to multiple interviews you start to look suspicious to your employer and then they find a way to get rid of you.

Employers realize they have to make accommodations for people to interview during off hours so that you won't jeopardize your current job. Ask the prospective employer if you could interview in the early evening, and they will probably try to accommodate you. Don't jeopardize your current job, because you may not get the new one.

Employers realize they have to make accommodations for people to interview during off hours so that you won't jeopardize your current job. Ask the prospective employer if you could interview in the early evening, and they will probably try to accommodate you. Don't jeopardize your current job, because you may not get the new one.

Exactly, calling out more than once in the same month looks very suspicious

Very good point here! My coworker took longer lunches and would need to call in once in awhile to take interviews. Thankfully my boss doesn't mind since he doesn't have to actually pay us for any extra time off. :p

I'd suggest checking your employee handbook regarding how your employer interprets at-will employment pursuant to the laws of DC. If you can be terminated for no cause, tread carefully. I would support networking and attempting to interview outside of scheduled work hours. This presumes you need a job.

I work in an at-will state and have business colleagues who are employers. Trust me, an employee can be documented and dismissed in a couple of days. Most of my colleagues keep running dossiers on employees. Everything is computerized. Everything, even where they go in company vehicles. It's all done by satellite and computer.

If you have to lie, do that, but understand that if you get caught and the law allows it, you may get your last paycheck that day. Proceed with all the relevant information in hand. Good luck and I hope you find satisfying employment.