As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

If I have a interview on a wednesday or Thursday and asked when can I start?

Is it ok to say the following Monday? Or should I just ask when do they need me to start by?

In all honesty I would not want to start the next monday after the interview. I would like a week to myself so I can prepare myself to start a new job, go to the cleaners, go shopping for new clothes.

I think it would be tacky for a employer to ask me to start on a Monday if the interview is on a wed or Thursday just because I;m unemployed.

The last job I was at asked me to start the Tuesday after Memorial Day which was ridiculous. Then I also want to make sure I;m starting the Monday after I file for my UC benefits since I don't get a pay check for 2 weeks.

"When would you like me to start?"

That way makes their intentions quite clear, and gives them the option of getting you onto the payroll at a good time.

• Like 3

Is it ok to say the following Monday? Or should I just ask when do they need me to start by?

I am in exactly the same boat as you and I do not believe there is anything wrong with being honest and telling them you are not available until the following Monday.

If they press, you can even state something like, "I'd like the final week to wrap up some personal appointments so that I can start fresh and focused."

That's all!

• Like 3
  • Author
I am in exactly the same boat as you and I do not believe there is anything wrong with being honest and telling them you are not available until the following Monday.

If they press, you can even state something like, "I'd like the final week to wrap up some personal appointments so that I can start fresh and focused."

That's all!

Thanks that sounds good

• Author
"When would you like me to start?"

That way makes their intentions quite clear, and gives them the option of getting you onto the payroll at a good time.

Thank You I will keep this in mind

I would tell them "tomorrow" and be ten minutes early.

You're unemployed. I don't care if it's been ten days, ten weeks or ten years...you don't need time to get things in order.

You've had time and an organized person would be ready before they sent their resume.

You'll make a good impression if you are good to go. Much better than someone who needs more time off.

• Like 10
  • Author
I would tell them "tomorrow" and be ten minutes early.

You're unemployed. I don't care if it's been ten days, ten weeks or ten years...you don't need time to get things in order.

You've had time and an organized person would be ready before they sent their resume.

You'll make a good impression if you are good to go. Much better than someone who needs more time off.

Shopping for new clothes

Last doctor visit

Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check

That's why

• Like 1
Shopping for new clothes

Last doctor visit

That's why

I don't mean to offend you but I'm going to tell you the same thing that I say to my children: "Excuses are for Losers"

Sorry.:o

• Author
I don't mean to offend you but I'm going to tell you the same thing that I say to my children: "Excuses are for Losers"

Sorry.:o

And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days

If I have a interview on a wednesday or Thursday and asked when can I start?

In all honesty I would not want to start the next monday after the interview. I would like a week to myself so I can prepare myself to start a new job, go to the cleaners, go shopping for new clothes.

I think it would be tacky for a employer to ask me to start on a Monday if the interview is on a wed or Thursday just because I;m unemployed.

The last job I was at asked me to start the Tuesday after Memorial Day which was ridiculous. Then I also want to make sure I;m starting the Monday after I file for my UC benefits since I don't get a pay check for 2 weeks.

You are unemployed you want a job the employer has your job you want.

You can start yesterday.Don't go for a job interview if you are not ready to start on the spot.......I went for a factory job(high heat hot glue heaters, i went in suit skirt jacket high necked blouse high heels.......if they had asked me to start on the spot i would have taken my jacket off borrowed a pair of boots and got into it....they didn't ask me to start on the spot, i started the next day though.I dont think you should attend a job interview with thinking i will start when I am ready.......deb

• Like 3
And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days

Then tell the boss that, go shop and to the doctors and whatever else you've been procrastinating on, and hope for something else to come along.

Good luck. :)

Haven't you been jobless for a very, very long time? Don't you believe that there are "retarded" people who very well might say they'll start tomorrow? If there are … there goes your opportunity.

I think it's kind of odd that you are already thinking about how come you can't start right away … you have not even been offered a job yet.

Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.

• Like 2
  • Author
You are unemployed you want a job the employer has your job you want.

You can start yesterday.Don't go for a job interview if you are not ready to start on the spot.......I went for a factory job(high heat hot glue heaters, i went in suit skirt jacket high necked blouse high heels.......if they had asked me to start on the spot i would have taken my jacket off borrowed a pair of boots and got into it....they didn't ask me to start on the spot, i started the next day though.I dont think you should attend a job interview with thinking i will start when I am ready.......deb

It would just be nice to have a final week to reflect back on the long road to a job offer and get some things done because I would know that i would not have another day off in a long time. I would need new work clothes because I lost weight since the last time I was employed.

• Like 1

How long have you been unemployed?

In my case, I've only been out of work for less than four weeks so an extra week would be nice.

But if you've been unemployed for MONTHS, then I think you should start your reflecting now and go get clothes immediately and be ready to get back to work.

Detracting my original advice, depending on the above-inscribed time variable....

• Like 2
  • Author
Haven't you been jobless for a very, very long time? Don't you believe that there are "retarded" people who very well might say they'll start tomorrow? If there are … there goes your opportunity.

I think it's kind of odd that you are already thinking about how come you can't start right away … you have not even been offered a job yet.

Why don't you go to the cleaners and go shopping this week? That way, in case you ARE actually offered a job someday, you will be prepared to start.

Because I remember the last time i had a tough time managing my bills because I started in the middle of a pay period which meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check. Plus I don't have anything to wear to a new job because none of my clothes FIT me since my last job.

• Like 2
Because I remember the last time i had a tough time managing my bills because I started in the middle of a pay period which meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check. Plus I don't have anything to wear to a new job because none of my clothes FIT me since my last job.

I'll reiterate for you:

• Author
I'll reiterate for you:

Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January

Why would I do that before a job offer? I been unemployed since January

Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...) :rolleyes:

• Author
Nine months????

You don't need another week. Start buying clothes now and seeing your doctor (like I did today, immediately after an interview...) :rolleyes:

Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.

Why the hell would I do that before a confirmed offer? Money is tight right now and the only focus is food and bills.

But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.

• Author
But an extra week on unemployment is going to make a difference when you start buying clothes and "need to reflect."

Doesn't fly, Dude.

I will say this, if the start date is the Monday after my last UC filing on a sunday then I would just go ahead and start because that would confirm one last biweekly check

WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..

Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...

• Like 7
  • Author
WTF for ?... with this attitude you will be jobless for longer than you really care to be...

Your UC isn't there for you to use instead of a job.. it is to supplement you TIL you get a job..

Attitude means everything...

You tell your employer that you can start as soon as they need you to start..

Remember.. they possibly have another person with equal opportunity sitting there that CAN start tomorrow...

I know, if they need me to start sooner no way will I say no but I was just hoping I have a opportunity to get myself back in work mode and not just wake up in 3 days to start a job.

• Like 1

My answer is as soon as possible if I were in your shoes. Most employers pay their employees bi weekly, so depending on when they hire you, your start date might fall on either the 15th or the 30th if they pay bi weekly. Just my two cents. It is easier for payroll to get you started on a pay day.

• Like 1

My husband started his job in the middle of an UC check and...he had to wait even longer for that check because he worked for the last day or two of that ending week.

I can understand if you need a few days to get back into the groove...but not wait a week just because of UC benefits. Most likely you will be earning more from your paycheck anyways.

From experience, there's nothing like an employer wanting you to start that very next day after the interview. I think employers will appreciate your honesty and respecting prior obligations and commitments, because it shows you will follow through with your obligations to that company if a situation ever were to arise. This also goes for willingness to rush from one job to another. In ex, saying you can start in less than two weeks if you have a job prior to the new job. This shows them the possibility that you might leave them high and dry if you were to ever leave them for another job. I think it's common a lot of people will need to prepare themselves for a new job...obtaining clothes, getting into the habit of going to bed earlier if you need to start getting up earlier for the job. But not just for UC benefits....

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1