No experience, dreading applying for jobs

leninjapirate

I'm applying for jobs for the first time in years and I feel like I'm way too old now to have the same lack of experience I had then, and I'm freaking out about it. I feel like there's not a chance in hell that anyone will even give me an interview let alone hire me, and that is another thing. I've never had an interview, or a even a phone interview, before. All the work I've done has been either voluntary, mostly for charities, who were delighted to have me and didn't require an interview, or for family or family friends who had their own businesses, who asked me directly. And they've all been very short-term, as I was usually just filling in while someone was on holiday or out sick. Has anyone else been in this situation and made it a success story?? How do you sell yourself without feeling like a total fake? How do you get over the fear to even apply in the first place? All advice greatly appreciated, thank you!!

May I ask how old you are? I'm astonished you've never had an interview before. I'd recommend googling interview tips and things not to do in an interview. Have you gone to school? Highlight all of your strengths that you think will help you excel in the job you are applying to. Be on time for the interview, dress appropriately, don't fidget, don't talk negatively about past experience. Most importantly, look at it as an opportunity to sell yourself. It is hard out there with no experience, but with the right attitude and motivation, you will be successful! For example "My experience may be limited, but I am a quick learner, easily motivated and a hard worker. I would love the opportunity to gain experience at your company to further my skills."