Rock and Hard Place

I work in a small community where rumors fly... whether they are true or false. There was a rumor spreading about a co-worker who I consider a friend. I denied these rumors, except I just found out they are true. I have an even closer friend/co worker who has been interested in the rumor. Personally I think they are just curious in nature, but I know they do like to hear gossip first. I promised my co-worker/friend with the issue, I wouldn't tell anyone. However, I'm afraid if my other friend/co-worker asks, I might break down and tell them. Or if I don't tell them... they might be hurt that I didn't trust them enough to tell them. I want both co-workers/friends to trust me, but I don't know how to handle it. Any suggestions? Also I hate lying, and I'm also horrible at it.

NoMagicBullet

This:

You promised a friend that he could trust you.

If you promised your friend that you would keep the info confidential, then do so. If someone asks about it, say "I think you should ask [friend's name] directly if you want to know." Other responses you can give if pressed:

"It's not my place to say anything about that."

"[Friend's name] asked me to keep that information confidential, and I promised I would. I can't talk about it. Please, don't ask me about it again."

If these people have any respect for others, they should respect that you keep your word.

This:

If you promised your friend that you would keep the info confidential, then do so. If someone asks about it, say "I think you should ask [friend's name] directly if you want to know." Other responses you can give if pressed:

"It's not my place to say anything about that."

"[Friend's name] asked me to keep that information confidential, and I promised I would. I can't talk about it. Please, don't ask me about it again."

If these people have any respect for others, they should respect that you keep your word.

These are great responses. OP, I hope heed the warning and not reveal confidences. You want trust but both trust and respect are attainable here.