When to start looking for a job in the UK

Currently in the UK for post grad studies, my last classes are in October, officially ends at the end of the same month and my Tier 4 visa expires at the end of November.

Very short window, I dont know when to start looking for work.

Honestly, very anxious about when to start looking. Afraid that now is too early to start looking and if I wait until I graduate, it is too late.

Currently in the UK for post grad studies, my last classes are in October, officially ends at the end of the same month and my Tier 4 visa expires at the end of November.

Very short window, I dont know when to start looking for work.

Honestly, very anxious about when to start looking. Afraid that now is too early to start looking and if I wait until I graduate, it is too late.

Start looking now. Think about it...

A job is advertised tomorrow - but the closing date is not for another 2 weeks

So it's now mid August and the company does the shorlisting and invite you to interviews for late August

Go for interview and offered a job....

Now if you are working, a future employer would not expect you to hand your notice in until all references had been received which could take a week or 2. Then you put your notice in which is typically a month at least so by then you are in late September/early October - which is not a huge difference to late October

• Author

Prior to my post grad, I practiced marketing in Higher Education and High Technology for 2 years with additions of 2 years top management duties in a non-profit.

Decent academic grades in my PR undergrad along with a PR internship, a long line of part time work experience and 2 exchange programme experience in Germany and USA.

Before deciding I wanted to work full time, I've been searching for some part time work. But is it just me or are UK employers not easy to impress? 24 isn't too old is it?

Look now. You would at least be making yourself known to employers and all the better if you get invited to interview. Make it clear you will be studying until a certain time though or they may feel misled. A month is such a short time to get a job that it's not wise to leave it that late. Look upon this time as a time to advertise yourself and let employers know what you have to offer. You could write to some you are interested in and say you'd be pleased to meet them just to chat and let them know what you've got to offer when you've graduated later in the year. You never know, some might take you up on a casual offer to chat because it doesn't commit either side to anything. A more relaxed chat could be a great opportunity to make helpful contacts.

Edited by spiderowl
  • Author

True, I guess that is a pretty good idea.

I noticed that a lot of companies dont have openings but they do leave contact details of department heads available online which I could use to get in touch for a chat.

Thanks!