Coworker undermining me.

There is this co worker of mine who is driving me nuts lately. She is not even a Supervisor or Manager but acts like she is.

She likes to be little and put me down when I don't work up to her standards. Even tries to cut in and take over when she thinks I am not doing the job 'her' way.

Like when I train a new co worker in my role for Orientation/Introduction to the office. I am supposed to show every single step I go through in the job. She sometimes cuts in and tells me okay they know what to do, sit them on a Computer and let them do it on their own now. I'm like WTF? I haven't gone into full detail about everything!

Then when they make mistakes I look bad.

If I make a mistake she likes to bring it up and announce it to everyone and when she helps me out with my work (more like practically take over what I do) she always brags about how much faster and better she is at it, making me look and feel really dumb in front of other co workers.

She expects the people I train to be perfect when they learn the job. She saw that one of them made a mistake and I am like thinking well they only did the job for one day they shouldn't be expected to get it exactly right then and there, plus you took them away early from me and made them work on their own!

Just hate being made to look like I don't know what I am doing when I think I do my job just fine or otherwise I would not have it or would have gotten complained about. No one has in any team meetings we have. LoL. So must not be that bad!

Other co workers do similar things I do when mistakes are picked up, it is not just me but they always get fixed. It shouldn't be so over dramatic when that happens though!

Annoying!

MAN that would drive me crazy!!

The truth is is that your co-worker does not have any respect for you. You need to simply accept that SHE DOES NOT LIKE YOU. I garantee the things that she says behind your back (to everyone you work with) would likely make you cry. Accept it. Move on. Ignore her. Do not try to appease her. Do not try and "win" her affections. It will all just garner you MORE DISRESPECT. To her disrespect I say: screw her. She's a moron. Now it's time for you to carve out your own place there at that job and get her to back the heck up off you.

Since this is the work environment, you need to DEMAND your respect in a professional way.

From your example, she steps in when you are training someone new. I would call her out on it using her first name like I was speaking to a child (let's pretend her name is Susan): "Excuse me Susan, You are distracting my training. I got this. Please do not interfere. I have been asked by OUR BOSS to train this employee. LET ME DO MY JOB. If you have a problem with MY training techniques, please bring them to your supervisor." THEN VISIBLY AND BODY LANGUAGE WISE, TURN YOUR BACK TO HER and get back to the job you were doing. Literally now ignore her. I bet if you could see her, she would stand there stupid like for a minute with her mouth slightly open as if she wanted to say something... but she won't. If she's a REAL BITCH (like I suspect), she may finally actually mutter an insult as she walks away. GOOD.

The more you "get professional" the more she will resort to "highschool" games. THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU. You won't have to complain. You won't have to file a report. OTHERS will notice HER being the bad employee.

All this takes time of course... but hey, you'll feel great someday when YOU have finally earned her respect. Do it all right and you'll silently laugh to yourself someday when SHE thinks you're her friend (but you'll never forget ;-)..

Edited by GLDheart

I'd probably report this to a management if it's bothering you. I know no one likes a tattle tell, but it will be best to talk this with someone in a higher position

• Author

GLDheart: Yeah I know that she probably talks about me behind my back. LoL. That would totally not surprise me! Sometimes she even says it to my face.

When she does get up all in my face I just become sarcastic and laugh it off and do ignore her half the time.

Other times when she tries to take over. I just don't give a **** and do what she says to save arguments.

With some things she has disagreed with me on my job which I know I have to do, going by what our Supervisor tells me to do. I have said exactly what you have said right to her face and that does shut her up. She still grumbles about it though. Ha ha. Yes! Do get that exact reaction when I stand up to her.

In the mean time I am actually looking for a new job and giving myself a payrise on top of that, with whatever I get. That is the main reason why I am looking. Will love to see her reaction to that. :laugh:.

In the mean time I am going to try do my best to deal with her ****. It sounds like she has always been that way and she reacts the same to other people when they do not work up to her standards.

At least it is not just me. I just cop it more but because I work in the section full time with her. Will have to speak up more and take your advice. Thanks for that.

I had been working well all day today (I do anyway) and when I got a bit more in the arvo that is when she helped me out.

When she was bragging about how much quicker and better she was then me I just felt really annoyed and thought, fair enough you are good at what you are do but don't bag me out while you are doing it!

I bring up when I know I have done a good job myself but would never criticize or judge anyone else's work. Especially if I was not a Manager or Supervisor.

LoL this other lady in my section including the one I was just talking about was making a big deal about nothing. Called someone thick the other day just because they did not file something in the right way she wanted to. I was like say what?! Then just shook my head.

Any more feedback from people will be great.

Edited by ziggue

When she does get up all in my face I just become sarcastic and laugh it off and do ignore her half the time. .

Do not laugh. This is serious business. She is VERY DISRESPECTFUL to you. Hold your ground. Politely ask her to back off. Turn your back on her. Get back to work. SHE WANTS YOUR REACTION. DO NOT GIVE HER ONE.

Other times when she tries to take over. I just don't give a **** and do what she says to save arguments. .

Again. You fold. She wins. Instead, If she takes over, say nothing, WALK AWAY AND DO SOMETHING ELSE. Again turn your back on her. I promise you she will hate this more than anything. SHE WANTS TO BE THE CENTER OF YOUR ATTENTION. The key is to NOT give her attention.

In the mean time I am actually looking for a new job and giving myself a payrise on top of that, with whatever I get. That is the main reason why I am looking. Will love to see her reaction to that. :laugh:. .

Man. Do this and she in her petty little world wins. And sadly, you will likely face another "her" at the next job. You might as well learn how to handle the "hers" of this world now.

It sounds like she has always been that way and she reacts the same to other people when they do not work up to her standards. .

Yep. It's not personal. It's NOT ABOUT YOU. Do not play her game. Seriously. YOU DO NOT NEED HER to do your job. Focus on your job. Do not smile at her. Do not be friends with her. Pretend she is the walking dead and will give you kudies if you have to. Interact professonaly, coldly, quickly, clinicly, and efficiently, when you absolutely have to.

SHE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. SHE IS NOTHING TO YOU. TREAT HER THAT WAY.

... fair enough you are good at what you are do but don't bag me out while you are doing it!

One other little trick you as a woman may be able to play upon is misdirection. When she interupts you, tries to take control etc, PICK SOMETHING YOU GENUINELY LIKE ABOUT HER (It has to be something real). For the sake of this technique, Let's say she has great taste in shoes.

As she starts to do her thing, DISARM HER with a compliment. Ignore her attempt to control you and say instead "YOU KNOW, I like those shoes."

This will cause a hiccup in her. Use that instant to then turn back to your work. VISIBLY TURN YOUR BACK ON HER. Most people simply will not know haow to handle the mix up of positive compliments and negative body language. You will throw her off her game in a positive way.

Good luck! You Got This!!

• Author

GLDHeart: I am not looking for a new job because of her I am doing it for me.

This is actually the first job I have had where I have encountered someone like her.

Thanks for the little tips. Will definitely be using them.

It sux though because she has been there for years she knows the Department inside out.

The heads in the office love her because she has lots of knowledge of the Department. All of them are brand new by the way. Glad they are more respectful to everyone.

I have only been there four years.