When to go on vacation?

SlightlyMad

Since summer is ramping up, my mind is on vacation. Everyone else on my team has gone or is planning to go real soon except for me. There is a huge project looming towards mid to the end of August where i will be overseas for about a month. My question is, should I go on my vacation before so my batteries are recharged or should I wait it is over with and feel the satisfaction that it's complete?

My gut (and personal preference) says to take it before while I still have a summer to enjoy and judging by what my coworkers have done, before is the best idea.

Just throwing it out there and see if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

• Like 1
january2011

I suggest that you go with your gut. You already mentioned that your mind is on vacation. And since everyone else is doing it, you'll only be sitting there getting slowly resentful that you haven't taken a break yet. And the likelihood of burning out during the project is high if you haven't taken a break for a while.

Alternatively, take two mini-breaks: one before the project and one after it.

Prime vacation here starts in August with bow season, and continues until November. As the boss, I get first choice. This year, October is my choice because we drew deer tags. Unfortunately, we did not get any elk tags, so there will be no hunting in the snow. But in October, I can also do some fly fishing, upland bird and turkey hunting.

We make it a family trip, even though our daughter cannot get away except weekends. Before the kids started school, we had 3 or 4 adults and 2 kids the entire season. The wall tent was a bit crowded, but we managed.

Then I would go in the fall, when beaches are less crowded, it's a bit cooler (less sunburn, heat exhaustion, etc.), and he is not yet in school.

GravityMan

I recommend taking your vacation sooner rather than later, but of course consider your nephew's availability. Who knows, the company might have some other project or task lined up for you right after your huge overseas project is complete. Next thing you know, it could be December before you can take significant time off.

Learn to be proactive in planning and officially scheduling lengthy vacations (lengthy = 1 week or longer). The more in advance you can plan them, the better. This makes it more likely to be approved for the desired time off (I learned this the hard way...), and makes it easier for the company to plan and work around your absence.