Job Networking: Where to start?

I want to start job networking in public relations and in radio but I have no idea where or how to start the process.

Some of my Facebook friends work in radio and public relations but I only know them superficially. Do I reach out to them for an informational interview?

I haven't job networked in a very long time so I am intimidated by the process and feel self conscious about my age (41) and background (I have marketing experience but not a marketing degree - just a BA in English Lit, freelance writing background and my teaching background).

Does anyone work in either the broadcast or public relations industry who could give me some job networking tips? Or even if you don't work in those two industries if you have any tips I would be grateful for your help. Thanks!

january2011

My first thought was LinkedIn, especially for PR - start a discussion in a relevant group and ask for advice. Not sure about broadcasting/radio.

Otherwise, join some professional membership associations for those disciplines and start attending some of the events - get to know some people.

• Author

Thanks January.

Regarding my LinkedIn profile - should I revamp it to be more PR and Broadcast without showing my education background?

How do I start a discussion group and then get people to join it? That is one online networking site I don't use or have experience with.

I love your idea about joining professional associations. I will definitely do that.

How should I approach my Facebook contacts who already work in PR and radio? Invite them out for coffee or lunch? Or just email them explaining my situation?

january2011

No worries.

I'd revamp it to highlight relevant experience but keep the educational background in - you've been trained to be a content creator and to engage an audience - that's very relevant and transferable. Keywords are important so that you come up in searches, check out a few relevant job ads and use similar wording. Also might be worth checking out a few relevant and successful profiles for some examples.

You don't need to start a group - find a few that are already well established and look active. Also check out the profiles of some of the members (ideally you want decision-makers and/or people who are already doing the jobs that you're looking to get into), then start a thread asking for their advice.

Yes, invite the Facebook contacts for a coffee - tell them up front that you'd like to pick their brains about the industry. Most likely, they'll be very flattered and would be glad to help.

• Like 1

I assume you live near a large city, or in one? Look up your closest American Marketing Association and join it. Start attending everything they offer. Some are better than others. The one in Houston is amazing, and has classes, social activities, seminars, meet & greets, just everything. Also looks great on your resume.

• Like 1
  • Author

I do live in a big city. Ok, I will Google American Marketing Association and see if there's one here. I know there is a broadcast association and it's a one-man show unfortunately. Basically the guy created a website listing all of my city's tv and radio broadcast organizations as a one-stop website but he doesn't update (I called him this morning) because he's busy doing broadcast things. So I will need to directly contact the public radio stations in my city to see if I can get their HR person to return my calls, or maybe I should call producers and ask them for information instead?

january2011
I know there is a broadcast association and it's a one-man show unfortunately. Basically the guy created a website listing all of my city's tv and radio broadcast organizations as a one-stop website but he doesn't update (I called him this morning) because he's busy doing broadcast things. So I will need to directly contact the public radio stations in my city to see if I can get their HR person to return my calls, or maybe I should call producers and ask them for information instead?

Thinking outside the box - what about helping him to grow it? It would be an excellent springboard to get to know the players and network with everyone. You can start with breakfast meetings and invite people to talk about what's happening in the industry, best practice, etc.

Some of my Facebook friends work in radio and public relations but I only know them superficially. Do I reach out to them for an informational interview?

What others have said but do this as well -- just don't call it an "informational interview."

Reach out to these friends and ask them out for coffee or a drink. When you meet, tell them face-to-face (not beforehand) that you are looking to them "for their expertise" in the field for guidance. People like to be looked up to and part of the networking game is building their ego and not making it look like you would be competition. Ask them for their help and guidance; in general folks like to help and I think you will get farther in framing it this way rather than as an "informational interview."

• Author
Thinking outside the box - what about helping him to grow it? It would be an excellent springboard to get to know the players and network with everyone. You can start with breakfast meetings and invite people to talk about what's happening in the industry, best practice, etc.

Wow great brainstorm idea. I should contact him and pitch that as a "broadcast coordinator" position or something like that. He has a secretary but she doesn't know anything. I don't even know if he has a physical street address as all that's listed is a phone number and website.

• Author
What others have said but do this as well -- just don't call it an "informational interview."

Reach out to these friends and ask them out for coffee or a drink. When you meet, tell them face-to-face (not beforehand) that you are looking to them "for their expertise" in the field for guidance. People like to be looked up to and part of the networking game is building their ego and not making it look like you would be competition. Ask them for their help and guidance; in general folks like to help and I think you will get farther in framing it this way rather than as an "informational interview."

So, for example there is one Facebook friend who works for national public radio as an events manager. I used to do that for film festivals as a "volunteer coordinator." Do I contact him via his NPR contact information or via Facebook email? He also runs a monthly book club that I want to help him with for free because it's really fun and open to the public. Do I bring that up too? So which email address should I use first to contact him and what do I say in the email?

january2011
Wow great brainstorm idea. I should contact him and pitch that as a "broadcast coordinator" position or something like that. He has a secretary but she doesn't know anything. I don't even know if he has a physical street address as all that's listed is a phone number and website.

He may work from home. If he doesn't have an 'office' address, it's fairly easy to set up a front-office structure for meetings, telephone and post. I guess it depends on if he's set up as a company/charity and has a legal structure and your location's legislation regarding registered addresses.

So, for example there is one Facebook friend who works for national public radio as an events manager. I used to do that for film festivals as a "volunteer coordinator." Do I contact him via his NPR contact information or via Facebook email? He also runs a monthly book club that I want to help him with for free because it's really fun and open to the public. Do I bring that up too? So which email address should I use first to contact him and what do I say in the email?

I would definitely to through is FB page; more personal than nis NPR email where is probably inundated. Mention that you used to work as a coordinator for film festivals (don't mention that it was as a volunteer yet!) and tie together the concept of the book club.

Make it a brief email and just mention that between the two things, you have some ideas about the book club you'd like to offer. I wouldn't go too into detail in the email but just try and grab enough interest to get him to meet in person. If you lay it all out ahead of time, it may give him an out to decline and you want to entice to get a face-to-face meeting.

It is a two-fold game; building their esteem and importance first and then asking for the favor after. I've been going through training on this very thing as I am unemployed right now and am meeting a gallery own on Wednesday for "networking."

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks so much CarrieT and January2011 for your helpful ideas, esp. since they are somewhat outside the normal box of informational interview protocol. I will make time to email both these contacts this week based on your suggestions.

Oh, how much wait time do I give them before I contact them again to check in with them? Isn't follow-up part of the informational interview process?

Also look for activities at which said people will be working or speaking or featured. Volunteer to work the activity. Keep doing that so you become a familiar face, and look for your opportunity to shake someone's hand (or help them with something personal).

• Author

Volunteering is a great idea. I didn't even think of that. Ok, that's another to-do item to add to my list.

• Author

I'm so glad for LoveShack's forums. Everyone's suggestions have been really helpful. Keep 'em coming if you think of anything more.

Are there any classes you can take at a local college or junior college in that field? If so, you can ask the teacher if you can use the class as an excuse to get an internship at the place you'd like to eventually work. Ask the teacher, even, to call the place and ask them if he can send them an unpaid intern.