I have an appointment for electrolysis with a woman who has her own small studio (low-overhead) and is her own boss with no employees.

If I pay cash and there's no receipt, what is the protocol for tipping?

Methinks no tip is required, but what are your thoughts?

Do you agree or disagree.

If you disagree, then why and how much (%) would you suggest tipping?

Art_Critic

I would tip 20% in that case..

Not sure if is etiquette or not but many times If I don't know what to do I tip anyhow.

My hairdresser has the same set-up. I tip him 20% as he is still a business person who is his own boss with expenses.

They are offering a service and are due a tip, regardless if they are employed by someone else or not.

TaraMaiden

In the UK, 10% is standard.

sometimes if a gratuity is included in the bill, I won't tip.

If it's over 10%, I ask them to deduct it, then leave what I think is appropriate - if appropriate.

I typically do tip for hair cuts and so forth, but I wouldn't tip in that circumstance. You don't usually tip for laser hair removal and services of that ilk in general here. The fact that she is her own proprietor would have no bearing in my mind, though many say you don't tip proprietors. The cash/receipt thing also has no bearing.

• Like 1

I wouldn't tip the owner of the business.

Last night, the owner of the restaurant we were eating at sent myself and my best friend a round of margaritas. I tipped the waitress a bit extra. The owner got a handshake and a 'thanks man' to someone we've both known for a long time.

• Like 1
cerridwen

I tip to augment what are usually the low wages of the employee providing the service.

I don't usually tip the business owner unless he/she has gone above and beyond and then it's usually 25%.

For instance, a self-employed masseuse comes to my workplace and is available for chair massages all day.

I don't tip her and just pay the hourly fee.

But when she comes to my house, and hauls her table up my stairs, and is playful with my pets, I add 25% on top of the price.

• Like 1

I wouldn't tip in this case: the business owner can set a price that she thinks is adequate for the service. You pay cash and there is no receipt - means she does not pay any taxes on that income, illegally you have already tipped her in the amount of the tax, maybe more.

Feelin Frisky

Tipping is a privilege. Privately it my hurt but as a social policy it is a winner and feels good and never works against you. Just do it and if she refuses, graciously say that the service was more than worthy--even if it wasn't. This is part of getting along. Only bitch if it really sucked.

LittlePrince
I have an appointment for electrolysis with a woman who has her own small studio (low-overhead) and is her own boss with no employees.

If I pay cash and there's no receipt, what is the protocol for tipping?

Methinks no tip is required, but what are your thoughts?

Do you agree or disagree.

If you disagree, then why and how much (%) would you suggest tipping?

You don't tip the proprietor.

• Author
... You don't usually tip for laser hair removal and services of that ilk in general here. ... many say you don't tip proprietors. ...

I wouldn't tip the owner of the business....

...I don't usually tip the business owner ...

I wouldn't tip in this case...

Thank you everybody for your responses!!!

It was weighing on my mind today when I went to the appointment ... so I did feel some sense of what might be appropriate from having considered your responses.

Tipping is a privilege. Privately it my hurt but as a social policy it is a winner and feels good and never works against you. Just do it and if she refuses, graciously say that the service was more than worthy--even if it wasn't. This is part of getting along. Only bitch if it really sucked.

Though I did feel some thoughts along the lines of Feelin' Frisky; and I also thought maybe she wouldn't do that good of a job if I went back and hadn't tipped. I was also concerned about setting a precedent that I'd then have to adhere to.

So, what I did in the end was I asked her when it was time to pay. I just said, "What is the protocol for tipping?" And she said no tip, and as the service was good and the amount was an uneven number, I just rounded it up and she didn't want to take it, but I said I insist. So, it seems like a win-win situation, because she felt complimented and I didn't feel like I was being taken for a ride!

I did visit another salon before for eyebrow threading and the woman wasn't gracious and didn't have change so I ended up paying a massive tip ... but then, I never went back.

I clearly got the sense that this woman wants to do a good job and build customer loyalty which means a lot to me. I'll definitely go back.

Edited by ja123
  • Like 2
Art_Critic

So, what I did in the end was I asked her when it was time to pay. I just said, "What is the protocol for tipping?" And she said no tip,

Well.. there ya go...

I think I learned something as well... if in doubt there certainly isn't anything wrong with asking as you did... I would never have thought to ask

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand tipping, why do you need to tip ?

I generally never tip, rarely i say 'keep the change' when i pay cash as i don't want to get a ton of coins/small denomination bills.

chrissylee

I generally never tip, rarely i say 'keep the change' when i pay cash as i don't want to get a ton of coins/small denomination bills.

....wow people who serve you must love you....:confused:

LittlePrince

It is a custom in certain cultures.

In what country are you doing this?

Eternal Sunshine

I'm so glad I live in Australia, no tipping here. I remember when I was in the States and didn't tip the taxi driver who drove me from airport to hotel. He actually started full on yelling at me. I wised up after that.

chrissylee
I'm so glad I live in Australia, no tipping here. I remember when I was in the States and didn't tip the taxi driver who drove me from airport to hotel. He actually started full on yelling at me. I wised up after that.

In Australia though, people actually get paid decent, so they don't need to count on tips to see if they can eat more than 12 cent noodles that day.

He shouldn't have yelled at you, but he took his frustrations about his job on you. Service jobs here don't pay shyte. In America, most workers are actually slaves, who are brainwashed into believing that capitalist slavery builds character and see it as some sort of rite of passage, but over time, accept that they're getting financially fist f*cked and end up taking it out on consumers when they ought to vent their frustrations out on their bosses and the people they/we 'elect' to serve us in public office.

Edited by Fugu
  • Like 1

My rule of thumb is 20%, unless they go "above and beyond', then it goes up to 25 or 30%. For really ****ty service it may go down to 10 or 15%, but no lower.

At traditional sit-down restaurants, yes a tip if they provide decent service. I think tipping them no matter what would enable them to give so-so service if everyone was expected to tip them. I think they should still be working for their tips. They get a wage and tips are for decent service provided. If service isn't that great, I usually give 10% for a tip instead of the 15% standard.

At take out places, not necessary because I'm not really being served or waited on other than to pick up my food.

In what country are you doing this?

Romania.

Ppl do tip here and it's not a rule, but i generally don't tip.

My reasoning is that times are hard, i don't make much anyway, why do i have to give more from me for the same service ?

When i am on a date, i do tip ... but i also tend to keep them cheap.

ES, i never had that happen to me, but it would make me think 'entitlement' right off the bat.

Especially with cabs that pick you up from the airport, those guys make some serious money here.

He shouldn't have yelled at you, but he took his frustrations about his job on you. Service jobs here don't pay shyte. In America, most workers are actually slaves, who are brainwashed into believing that capitalist slavery builds character and see it as some sort of rite of passage, but over time, accept that they're getting financially fist f*cked and end up taking it out on consumers when they ought to vent their frustrations out on their bosses and the people they/we 'elect' to serve us in public office.

It's like that in all 'democracies'. The new way of enslaving is through credit.

The only way to beat the system [even by a bit] is to avoid major credit like a plague [we don't have personal bankruptcy here and the banks have outrageous protection], and to live frugaly.

Funny stuff, i have 10 euros cell phone, and the guys i hired to fix up my place have smartphones, one even has an iphone. o.0

Edited by Radu
  • Like 1
pink_sugar
Romania.

Ppl do tip here and it's not a rule, but i generally don't tip.

My reasoning is that times are hard, i don't make much anyway, why do i have to give more from me for the same service ?

Exactly. My mom doesn't tip because she isn't working. Her reasoning is they have a job, she doesn't. If you can afford it and the service is good, then great.

beyondscoo

They may be afraid you'll misinterpret their attention or acknowledgement as interest in you, so they make sure they show no attention. It's kind of rude not to acknowledge your co-worker, but I'd say that's what is going on--they don't want to give you the impression that they might be interested in you, since they are not, so they don't give you any signals at all that might be misinterpreted as interest.

chrissylee
Exactly. My mom doesn't tip because she isn't working. Her reasoning is they have a job, she doesn't. If you can afford it and the service is good, then great.

If you can't afford a tip you probably shouln't be spending money on the types of thingst that require you tp tip. If you are THAT broke and cheap stick to ramen noodles.