Dating co-workers

PlumPrincess

How many of you think it's a bad idea to date a co-worker? I guess, many. :o What if you really, really liked that person? Would you still stick to some weird rule?

Not a good idea at all. Go to work to work. IMHO Don't put your personal biz out there for your co-workers to form their opinions.

I think it would be OK in a few situation.

If it's a job you don't care about, go for it without worry.

or

If you two have very little contact required contact with each other. Then it should be OK since you won't have to interact with the other person if things go bad.

Not worth loosing my job over. Been there done that, won't do it again. On the other hand I would date a higher ranking employee such as a supervisor or manager but not a coworker.

january2011

It might be worth pursuing if your company doesn't have a policy against it and the object of your affection is not in the same department.

If you work closely together on the same projects, as your team manager, I'd be concerned about how professional you can remain and if you'd bring your personal business to work with you, so much so that it affected your ability to focus on the job at hand. No one likes to see couples sniping at each other, at work or anywhere.

• Like 1
Feelin Frisky

To be avoided but perhaps once or twice in a lifetime it can't be helped. There are sparks a plenty out there.

I used to like this co-worker when I was pursuing the corporate ladder. Feelings haven't really changed even though I've changed jobs and maintain minimal contact after 2 years.

My feelings haven't changed one bit. Life is a gamble and you will know you've lost your chance with the 'one' later down the track.

• Author
PlumPrincess

My co-worker used to sit opposite of me. He had to move to another building two days ago. I miss him. :( He's got a girlfriend anyway... :o And I guess, he thinks I'm too low-ranking to date me. Damn it! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Stupid Girl

I made a thread about this not too long ago. My boyfriend and I were co-workers, but not any longer. I think it's probably much better this way from a career-perspective, although sucky from a personal perspective.

I just don't see how anyone could find love at work. That's like a totally condescending atmosphere. You might as well be in jail and eyeing up one of the guards. I always associate it with pure laziness. You have just enough energy to go to work and so everything has to be work-related, including love. Sickening.

• Like 1
DateMyFamily
How many of you think it's a bad idea to date a co-worker? I guess, many. :o What if you really, really liked that person? Would you still stick to some weird rule?

I believe you have to weight your options, and that is:

Is my job worth the risk? If yes, then go for it... Family in the end is what's most important in life. If no, then you answered it yourself. Bottom line, bringing your personal life into your business life tends to be a conflict of interest at one point or another.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it a few times it's yet to give me a serious bite in the ass. I'm always surprised by people's vehement opposition to it. Unless you are violating company policy (by dating your manager, for example) I don't think the risk of horrible things happening is that great.

The way I see it, there is the risk you will lose out on a future opportunity (to manage someone specific, for example) based on your personal history... but and as long as you're not the office slut, that should not be a huge risk to take.

I dated the guy who sits behind me a couple years ago. It didn't work out, and now he is dating another girl in the office. She does hate my guts based on our relationship which is unfortunate, but the situation does not detract from my productivity. I haven't given it a thought in months. It seems to work for them, too - they've been together more than a year.

Lots of my coworkers are either dating, married to each other, or met their spouses at work - I'd guess at least 15%, including a few of the upper management back in their youth (whose spouses subsequently left the company). I would guess another ~20% has dated or hooked up with someone in the past.

I think many factors would result in my thoughts on it. One, company policy. Almost all company's forbid supervisor/subordiante relationships so that would be a no go.

Outside of that it would be how close in proximity do I work to them, do our worlds overlap, what would the worst case scenario look like if we broke up, etc.

Many companies try and manager dating and as society spends more and more time in the office this becomes a bigger issue. It really depends at the parties involved, I have seen some successful relationships, but you really make sure to watch your behavior and leave your personal life at home.

• 4 weeks later...
myallenmedia

It depends on the company. I've dated many girls from the office and in fact, my first wife was a co-worker. Sure it ended in divorce 9 months later but it wasn't because of the office...

I guess it really depends on the rules of the company, the type of company it is and so on. But love knows no boundaries. I'm of the thought that if it feels good do it! LOL

coffee.girl

I dated a guy at my old job, and swore I never would again.

Now I am in a new workplace. Lo and behold, there's this particular guy... and I have tossed my rule book out the window. :love::o