Got screwed outa promotion

I feel the need to vent. Firstly, I've been at my craphole job for 3 years. I got my degree back in august but havn't been able to get a job in my field yet due to the lousy job market.

My bf has been with his company for well over a year (and yes, we live together and share finances). He's worked very hard to climb the ranks. Last week the store manager announced he was quitting. My BF was then offered and accepted the position for when the guy leaves. This of course comes with a large pay increase. We agreed i could quit my job and work on our new house while i keep trying to get another one since the money he'd be making would still be more than him and i make right now.

He's supposed to take over this sunday. Suddenly today, the asst. manager of another store 30min away got wind and is throwing a fit because he wasn't offered the position. He wasn't offered because he is a real ass.. the store manager there doesn't even care for him....

So now all of a sudden, my bf is expected to run the store without the pay or title till a decision is reached on what to do and who to promote.

Just like that.. uncertainty is back. No money. no job title. no advancement. Also means i can tear up the resignation letter i had printed out for my job.

I'm so angry right now... the plans we had made just poof.. gone. NOt to mention if that other guy gets it.. he refuses to stay there and work under him because as i said.. guys an ass....

I just don't see how it can be announced to everyone.. all the other store managers.. his coworkers...the regional manager.. .. him.. that hes getting the promotion and deserves it..that they are putting together his job offer in time for the takeover.... and then "ohhh.. well.. now we don't know.. have to think about what to do now just run the store in the mean time thanks"

I'm angry they treat him like this and im mad as hell i am back to square one with my stressful lousy job.:mad:

Sorry.. needed to vent to some strangers.. i don't have the heart to go to all my friends i had been bragging to and be like. yeahh... now we don't know whats happening

I see this a lot where I work also.

I would really hope your boyfriend doesn't take this without a fight. He should at least get an interim manager title or something - WITH MANAGERIAL PAY - until they figure out what they're gonna do.....

More often based on this perspective, the best is yet to come. He should indeed be compensated accordingly for his "temporary" management title. Secondly Lets step back here and see this as the company taking his job seriously and that can be a great motivator and compliment to him. I think it will turn in his favor. Unless this other prospect has been turned down numorous times and for good reason, it may be them just covering there base so this other chap can't scream foul.

• Author
More often based on this perspective, the best is yet to come. He should indeed be compensated accordingly for his "temporary" management title. Secondly Lets step back here and see this as the company taking his job seriously and that can be a great motivator and compliment to him. I think it will turn in his favor. Unless this other prospect has been turned down numorous times and for good reason, it may be them just covering there base so this other chap can't scream foul.

You are right.. that is exactly what they are doing. He is going to be raking in quite a large amount of over time at 1.5x regular pay because someone has to be there to tun the store and there aren't near enough employees. Although overtime is pretty much never acceptable there isn't really much of a choice for the company... just really hoping for the best and it looks like it will be going his way.. i was just VERY frustrated when i found out and felt the need to vent. thanks for the response... we are to the point where it is what it is and can only work towards a positive outcome.

He has to be confindent. NO doubt. It's all water cooler gossip. The decision is made he needs to step up and take it.