I don't belong to LinkedIn nor do I plan to join in the future. However, today I got a message:

"I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn. (his name)"

Is this Spam? Or does LinkedIn hijack personal email accounts and send messages out like this on behalf of their subscriber with or without their knowledge?

I don't belong to LinkedIn nor do I plan to join in the future. However, today I got a message:

Is this Spam? Or does LinkedIn hijack personal email accounts and send messages out like this on behalf of their subscriber with or without their knowledge?

If you don't have LinkedIn, this might be a spam message.

If you click on the link in the email it might lead you to a page that LOOKS LIKE LinkedIn but is just there to capture usernames and passwords.

I do not believe that LinkedIn hijacks personal email accounts to send out messages; it is the person that does.

• Author

It was from someone I used to know. I suppose I could create a fake account but does LinkedIn have a feature similar where they can see who looked at their profile?

I've got emails like that before. I don't think they are necessarily spam because I recently joined LinkedIn and you have the option of letting it access your email account to find people you know who are already signed up, similar to facebook. Also, when I joined I noticed that the people who had sent me the emails had requests already in my inbox. I think if the site doesn't find you on LinkedIn it sends you an email to say someone you know is on in the hopes that you will join.

That said, always be careful when clicking on links in emails. If in doubt, go direct to the website.

There's a feature in LinkedIn that looks at the contacts of the member and then asks the member if s/he wants to link to those people. Sounds like this is what your friend did.

If you have a basic membership (free) on LI, you cannot see who looked at your page. I believe this is a feature that is available with premium (paid) memberships.

There's a feature in LinkedIn that looks at the contacts of the member and then asks the member if s/he wants to link to those people. Sounds like this is what your friend did.

If you have a basic membership (free) on LI, you cannot see who looked at your page. I believe this is a feature that is available with premium (paid) memberships.

I just got the LinkedIn Android app, and it allowed me to see who, within my connections at least, viewed my profile....

No. Unfortunately people can use whatever email address they have for you to request you to be their linked in contact. Then linked in will keep chasing you over and over again. I have had to ask them to block several of my email addresses so I wouldn't get those requests. Very annoying.

whichwayisup

I've had requests from family and friends, but I'm not on LinkedIn. Ignore it, don't worry it's not spam.

If you have any doubts about the Linked-in you can log yourself and see your invitations and other profile details. The e-mails with news most part of the time are not spams, but you can log in yourself directly in the website and discover if it is indeed or not.

And if you received any e-mails with invitations to get in Linked-in you can just dicard it or use it to make your registration