FEAR of getting into field.....

Everyone knows that getting into my graphic design field would mean a great deal to me, but in the same sense, I am so so scared to do so. Knowing that I don't have a good education background and a really kick butt portfolio makes me hesitant to even apply to places. But I realize the longer I wait, it will end up being impossible to get into the field. And that is what worries me.

This has truely taken its toll and I know I am not satisfied working at the bagel shop and just overall not satisfied with my actions. And I know it is easier said then done to just go out and do it, but the fear is so intense that it is holding me back from even attempting.

I worry about everything and anything lately and it has been like this since I graduated college. I don't feel like I have what it takes to make it in a graphic design field and it is not necessary for me to continue my education unless I want to become a teacher. Why is this fear holding me back? How can I get that can do anything attitude that I need to succeed in life and just my everyday life?

HI, I graduated from college recently as well. Clinical Lab Science. I was very scared after school like you. I didn't have the best grades and I felt as if I didn't have a clue about what I was doing. I also knew that I didn't want to work at Wal-Mart the rest of my life. You sound like you dont have a lot of confidence which was sort of my problem but I figured I did make it through school so I must have some force pushing me along. When I started to think back on it I guess I felt like I just went with the motions, I went through the motions. Thats when I realized that I just had to go through the motions again. Its not like I didn't know what had to be done. I had to start applying places. Nobody was holding me back but myself. So, I just started to apply. Next thing I know Im being offered jobs. Yes, then it got real scary. I mean, you feel like,- oh know- this is what I just spent all this time at school for and someone actually wants me to come and do it. I dont know if I can. You can. You find a way and then you realize that theres alot of other people there doing it that don't do it half as good as you. Trust me, as long as you put effort into something you can produce good results. You have to try though because only if you dont, will you live the worse possible outcome.

Figure out something that you want so much that you are williing to push past your fear to get it. In terms of jobs in your field, why not start out slow - find a volunteer organization or two that badly needs some graphic work done for free. You can build your portfolio and get positive feedback on your work which will make you feel better about the possibilities out there. Join whatever organizations in your town that graphic designers belong to and start meeting people and making connections. You don't have to be a top-notch ivy league designer to get jobs.

• Author

Thank you for the advice. I have to apply and just really focus on getting a job. I know I have to do it, but it is so hard, and with being out of college kinda makes me wonder if I am even into getting into my field or not. It also makes me question do I have the creative ability to even make it in a design firm, etc.

I have thougth about doing the freelance thing, but you have to be self motivated and that is something I am kinda slacken in, and you have to have the appropriate software which is expensive but I only need one more software to be set. Anyways, I am going to do things alittle differently, just have to for myself. But it is so hard.

I do plan on joining some organizations and get myself out there, but as for now, I am only consintrating on my career and hopefully I will be somewhat successful.