Cant stand my job-causing anxiety

WindWhisperer

I am 24 years old.

I studied psychology and have my honours degree.

Until August last year I was doing something I really loved which basically was therapy for mentally ill children.

Unfortunately they only hired students (really bad pay) and due to management issues many of us ended up resigning.

It was a very difficult decision for me to make and admittedly I made the HUGE mistake of accepting the first offer I received which was in a COMPLETELY different field to which I studied. At the end of the day I had bills to pay.

I was hired as a recruitment consultant...and in the initial interviews they said that I would be applying my psychology degree as well as helping people and thats what hooked me.

In the beginning I enjoyed the fast paced atmosphere but slowly but surely I realised I was a round peg in a square hole.

Its only about sales, and I feel I lie to people than rather help them.

I miss making a difference and contributing to something greater than me.

And by November last year I realised I hated my job. I cried on my way to work and during work in the bathroom and on the way home.

What doesnt help is that I live alone so there isnt always opportunities to talk to people.

This situation has given me great anxiety. I constantly feel like crying and due to the stress I have become gravely ill. The doc said due to my stress and anxiety levels of returning back to work this year, my immune system took a blow and I have been in bed. I return to work on Friday.

I have an interview tomorrow which I am really excited for and I pray with all my might that its right for me (it is in the psychology field).

But until then, what can I do to relieve this feeling?

How will I get up on Friday morning and go to work and put a smile on my face?

Start looking for another job. Just the act of sending in applications else where that look good may make you feel better. For now be happy you have job and try not to feel like you hate it so much. Are you a girl?

If you can make time, volunteer. It can give you a sense of purpose.

Why don't you have a support group, people around you?

Your a psychologist? fantastic! have you considered talking to a therapist?

BTW, how did the interview go?