Would you leave a stable government job and work in private sector?

So my friend recently retired got an administrative job in the private sector to run some prisons that contract out with the state and federal government. Wants me to work for him in an administrative capacity. Would you leave a stable, decent paying government job with good benefits to work in the private sector for more money and possibly more opportunity, but less security and more stress and longer hours?

Prisons are a growth industry :)

What's your goal?

Is there an employment contract involved?

Do all opportunities with the public sector end with your departure or can you re-enter should you change your mind down the road?

How do you handle pressure and stress?

How old are you? The younger you are, the more likely I'd suggest giving the private sector a shot. Above 40? On the fence. Above 50? Nah...

• Author

I'm 37. Dont know whole lot of details about the contract as we have just discussed generalities. If I left there is a strong possibility I could not return, as budgets in all federal departments are under strain, we are currently in a hiring freeze. I know the private sector can be fraught in this economy, but damn, sometimes I just cant see myself doing the same thing for the next 14 years when i am eligible to retire.

• Author

Oh I can handle pressure and stress, but like most of us...I hate handling it!

• 3 weeks later...

After 8+ years in private practice as a civil litigator, I left the private sector and started working for "the People" as a prosecutor.

While there are times (payday) when I sometimes feel a moment's hesitation to return to the private sector to earn more, I don't ever want to relive that type and amount of stress ever again. My peace of mind and quality of life are well worth the pay cut and bureaucratic hassle.

analystfromhell

The state and federal government are going to contract drastically- even more than they already have. Private jobs aren't necessarily less secure anymore but they are also not necessarily better paid and definitely don't have better benefits.

I retired from the Government job and am now in the private sector as have a lot of my friends.

Who do you like to work with more if, say the conditions were identical? How much trust do you have in your friend and why do you think they are asking you vice someone else or going out into the open market?