FIRED - what to tell future employers?

I'm an attorney who had been with the same prestigious firm for over 10 years. I made a big mistake on a recent deal and was subsequently offered the choice of being fired or handing in my resignation. Obviously I accepted the latter.

My question is - what do i tell future employers? I am thinking of saying that 'unexpected personal circumstances' led to me resigning, but that they have now been resolved and I am ready to move on.

The problem is, it smells fishy because the firm I was with is very well known and difficult to get into - hardly anybody leaves of their own accord. And wont they press further about the 'personal circumstances' that led to me resigning?

This has been the worst thing to ever happen to me in my life. I have never been unemployed. I am unbelievably stressed about the interview process and how to answer this question.

Any advice??

A question first...

You were there 10 years and messed up and unfortunately that issue was a cause for your moving on or being fired/resigned...

Are they going to give you a good review ?.. IMO this is key to how you word why you left..

If they give you a good review then all you have to say is that it was time you moved on to another firm and then let the review take over.

If you don't get a good review or they hate you then you should mention that it was a personal issue that was unfortunately not able to be resolved and leave it like that.

and remember to not harp on it.. don't offer info when not asked (like you don't know that already :laugh:)

Good luck.. I'll bet anything you can find work pretty fast.. a 10 year run in a great firm says an awful lot...